Laws regarding methadone for treatment of opioid addiction for NY MPJE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phrmdmsc

Reaction score
Under what section can I find laws/regulations/guidelines for allowed take-home doses for methadone patients being treated for opioid addiction for certain periods of time?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t that be illegal per federal law? It would have to go through a methadone dispensary (non-pharmacy).

Reactions: 1 user
It is not against the law for take homes...methadone programs have provisions for it and the patients need to comply with strict requirements

I hope the link works. If not, go to SAMHSA and search for methadone program requirements.
No, it’s not illegal to take home. It’s illegal for pharmacies to dispense for use other than pain. A methadone dispensary would have to dispense for opioid addiction. Pharmacies may only dispense methadone for pain. On a pharmacy licensing exam, that’s the critical knowledge needed here.

Members don't see this ad :)
The link did work, thank you. I have skimmed the section about take-home doses starting on page 53, but I am still not seeing something as specific as what these practice questions are asking. In my practice exam, under the New York MPJE practice section (not federal) there are several questions pertaining to methadone which are as follows:

NF is a female going to a methadone clinic for treatment of opioid addiction. She has been going for six months with no incidents. How many doses of a take-home supply may NF be provided with?

a. 2 doses - Patients who have been attending a methadone clinic for treatment of opioid addiction for at least 3 months with no incidents may be supplied with a take-home supply of 2 doses.
b. 3 doses
c. 21 doses
d. 30 doses

HW is a male going to a methadone clinic for treatment of opioid addiction. he has been going for 2 years and 9 months with no incidents. how many doses of a take-home supply may HW be provided with?

a. 2 doses
b. 6 doses
c. 13 doses - Patients who have been attending a methadone clinic for treatment of opioid addiction for at least 2 years with no incidents may be supplied with a take-home supply of 13 doses.
d. 21 doses
e. 30 doses

JR is a male going to a methadone clinic for treatment of opioid addiction. He has been going for 3 years and 1 month with no incidents. How many doses of a take-home supply may JR be provided with?

a. 2 doses
b. 3 doses
c. 6 doses
d. 21 doses
e. 30 doses - Patients who have been attending a methadone clinic for treatment of opioid addiction for at least 3 years with no incidents may be supplied with a take-home supply of 30 doses.

For my state, TH's match the Fed Regs.
I suppose you could google your state's regs and see how they line up with the Fed regs.

1574109190213.png