Law school GPA - how does this work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blahhhzae

Blahhhzae
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since law schools traditionally score their GPAs on a 12 point scale (instead of the traditional 4 point), how will this factor into my application GPA? Because if I scale down my law school GPA to a 4 point scale, it becomes a letter grade lower than on the 12 point scale. HELP!

Anyone have the answer to this? Also, are there any other lawyers making the career change? It would be nice to see others in my situation. Moral support always helps. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Blahhhzae said:
Since law schools traditionally score their GPAs on a 12 point scale (instead of the traditional 4 point), how will this factor into my application GPA? Because if I scale down my law school GPA to a 4 point scale, it becomes a letter grade lower than on the 12 point scale. HELP!

Anyone have the answer to this? Also, are there any other lawyers making the career change? It would be nice to see others in my situation. Moral support always helps. :thumbup:

Im not sure about allopathic schools, but I know that Osteopathic schools do not count professional courses in your GPA. (Professional meaning, Pharmacy, law, vet, and PA programs). The reason why, is because of the fact that these programs often have grading scales that do not fit traditional grading scales. For example my law school uses a C as a curve, it is extemely difficult to get an A in law school. Additionally many professional programs use Pass fail systems to grade their students. I am sure most med schools realize this. So I would not worry to much. If you can make it through law school, I think it says alot about your drive and motivation. I am not a lawyer yet, but I am a second year law student who has decided to pursue medicine after I finish my J.D.

at first I was going to quit law school, but I am already half way done and I see no reason to quit now. I do not think it will hurt me having a law degree, and I might as well finish what I have started. I am 25 years old and I know that I have a long road ahead of me. I would love to talk to other attorneys, law students who feel similar to me. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk.

T

Blahhhzae said:

Another lawyer bound for med school here. If you have a GPA on a 12 point system, I think you simply divide the GPA by 3 (its been a while, but I think that's what I did). For allopathic, AMCAS will include your law school grades with your graduate coursework and it will be included in your overall GPA. Your undergrad GPA will be listed separately, and this GPA will be far more important to adcoms, who need to be sure you can hack the sciences. Good luck!

Ah, yes. The law school gpa. :) There was a forced curve in my law school. My gpa was, well...2.8. I was worried that the ADCOMs wouldn't like that number. But I was wrong. I recently took a year of graduate-level biochem and the pre-reqs again with a 3.95. That is the gpa they focused on as a non-traditional applicant. I was also fortunate that my background is med mal defense. In any event, even with the very low graduate gpa, I got interviews everywhere I applied and got my top choice. BTW, my undergrad grades were only OK, at a 3.47. My MCAT was only 31R. The upshot of all of this is that you want to play up what you ARE brining to the table, which is experience and diversity to the class.