Latest to Send in LOR??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fj25

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on doing a SubI in November. If I get a letter from it, can I still use it in my applications after I already submitted ERAS? Will is get lost in the mix? I already have 2 letters to use.

Members don't see this ad.

fj25 said:
I am planning on doing a SubI in November. If I get a letter from it, can I still use it in my applications after I already submitted ERAS? Will is get lost in the mix? I already have 2 letters to use.

Depends on the deadline for your specialty. For example, November 1 (and in some cases October 15) is the application and supporting document deadline for Surgery (November 1st is when the Dean's letters go out for all programs).

If your specialty doesn't have a deadline until January, you might be ok submitting a letter frm a November sub-I. BUT...remember, you usually have to give the letter writer a few weeks to compose and send it out, and by then it might already be January. In addition, despite their deadlines, especially for programs with later deadlines, they may actually review applications based on material received earlier. Frankly, I would be worried that any letter received later than November (ie, after the Deans' letter) is not going to be evaluated. It may be received before any interviews in January but obviously if you interview elsewhere before then (which you should) it won't help you.

Therefore, IMHO a November Sub-I is too late for a letter to get written and mailed on time to be evaluated.

BTW, not that you asked...but isn't November a little late to be doing a Sub-I? Most people do them in the summer or no later than early October. How are you going to arrange for the time off for interviews?

There reason i asked the question was that I was just became interested in Anesthesiology and the only spot available for a subI at my school was in November. I was just curious to see what options I have if I did the subI later.

Kimberli Cox said:
Depends on the deadline for your specialty. For example, November 1 (and in some cases October 15) is the application and supporting document deadline for Surgery (November 1st is when the Dean's letters go out for all programs).

If your specialty doesn't have a deadline until January, you might be ok submitting a letter frm a November sub-I. BUT...remember, you usually have to give the letter writer a few weeks to compose and send it out, and by then it might already be January. In addition, despite their deadlines, especially for programs with later deadlines, they may actually review applications based on material received earlier. Frankly, I would be worried that any letter received later than November (ie, after the Deans' letter) is not going to be evaluated. It may be received before any interviews in January but obviously if you interview elsewhere before then (which you should) it won't help you.

Therefore, IMHO a November Sub-I is too late for a letter to get written and mailed on time to be evaluated.

BTW, not that you asked...but isn't November a little late to be doing a Sub-I? Most people do them in the summer or no later than early October. How are you going to arrange for the time off for interviews?

fj25 said:
There reason i asked the question was that I was just became interested in Anesthesiology and the only spot available for a subI at my school was in November. I was just curious to see what options I have if I did the subI later.

I'm in the same boat. I won't be able to do my anesthesiology rotation until October. My first 3 rotations were/are in other fields that I'm considering. Did anyone else do a late sub-I in Oct and still get a letter in time?

droors said:
I'm in the same boat. I won't be able to do my anesthesiology rotation until October. My first 3 rotations were/are in other fields that I'm considering. Did anyone else do a late sub-I in Oct and still get a letter in time?

waiting for an answer too..it seems like many of us her in the same situation. i'm doing my sub I's in oct/nov and nov/dec since that was the only time i could schedule my aways. too late for a letter?

You'll have to check and see what the absolute deadline is for your field. As I noted above, its November 1 for Surgery (and even October 15 at a couple of places) but could very well be different for Anesthesiology.

That said, some programs might not accept letters even before the final deadline as they will have reviewed all applications downloaded from ERAS by that point. But, IMHO, that would be unusual as long as you get the letter in by the ERAS deadline.