Latest Date to take Step II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mnemosine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the latest date a 4th year can take Step II and still be ok with beginning internship (assuming that the score will be a passing one)?
Is some time in May acceptable?

Members don't see this ad.

Late May should be OK in that regard, but keep in mind that an applicant without a passing Step 2 scores is often considered a liability when it comes time for programs to rank the applicants they have interviewed. Waiting this long is not recommended, so you should try to take it sooner and have a passing score on your record if you can (esp if the rest of your record was not phenomenal).

At my school, you have to have passing Step 2 scores to graduate. Make sure that this isn't the policy at your institution!

My school requires passing CK scores and an attempt at CS in order to graduate. I don't recall the exact dates, but I think you need to have taken both exams by the end of April to guarantee that you'll receive a diploma at graduation. There have been exceptions, though. Medical 123 did bring up a good point; check with Student Affairs to see how this works at your school, or you could cause yourself a major headache!

Thank you for your responses. I do not think that my school requires it in order to graduate.

Do your step II scores ever come back to haunt you? If you pass, do fellowship programs look at them? In other words, do they ever become what your step I score was to residency applications (in the sense of importance)?
I'm asking because I don't have as much time to put into studying for Step II, and I wonder if I should somehow find more than 2 weeks to study.