late interest for Dermatology - do i have a chance (any advice would be appreciated)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socal4life

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody:

I am a med student at a Top 10 med school. I have straight high passes during my clinical rotations and am actually doing a year right now dedicated to Radiology research. Clearly, I am not going to be AOA.

I have developed a recent interest in Dermatology. Do I even have a chance to match into Dermatology? Should I even bother? I will not have Dermatology, although I will have unrelated Radiology research publications. Could I make it up with a good grade in an early 4th year Derm elective and away rotations? What kind of board score do I need? And this question is to match into ANY university-accredited Dermatology program.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

socal4life said:
Hey Everybody:

I am a med student at a Top 10 med school. I have straight high passes during my clinical rotations and am actually doing a year right now dedicated to Radiology research. Clearly, I am not going to be AOA.

I have developed a recent interest in Dermatology. Do I even have a chance to match into Dermatology? Should I even bother? I will not have Dermatology, although I will have unrelated Radiology research publications. Could I make it up with a good grade in an early 4th year Derm elective and away rotations? What kind of board score do I need? And this question is to match into ANY university-accredited Dermatology program.

Thank you.
Given your academic backround you have the potential to be a serious candidate.The lack of any real demonstrated interest in this field is a problem,your major one.A strong showing during an elective at the right program could make the differece.It cant hurt to do this and attempt to get to know some people,especially in the derm dept of your school.
It sounds like you will have no difficulty getting into a great rads program.
Getting into derm will take a lot of work possibly requiring post graduate research to make the right contacts.Consider this before going for Derm,as any program in the country is highly competitve.

socal4life said:
Hey Everybody:

Thank you.

I thought you recently developed an interest in rad-onc?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=251147

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate the feedback. I have actually had a member of my family develop a cancerous growth, but it is not malignant. Everything (hopefully) should be fine in due time. But that is the reason why I have rethought my entire thinking on my career and have opened up this can of worms again.

I am not trying to play some weird online games. As you see, I did not say I had personal reasons to go into Dermatology; I only said that for Rad-Onc on the original post. For those who were able to keep an open mind about my career quandary, I appreciate it.

socal4life said:
I appreciate the feedback. I have actually had a member of my family develop a cancerous growth, but it is not malignant. Everything (hopefully) should be fine in due time. But that is the reason why I have rethought my entire thinking on my career and have opened up this can of worms again.

I am not trying to play some weird online games. As you see, I did not say I had personal reasons to go into Dermatology; I only said that for Rad-Onc on the original post. For those who were able to keep an open mind about my career quandary, I appreciate it.

I was just giving you a hard time. I wrote a serious reply on the rad-onc forum.

Don't think you should count yourself out. Even Derm PD's know, that not ALL good Dermatologists made their career decision in Kindergarten.

You seem to have top marks from a top school, and published original research. That's a very good start. I wouldn't worry too much about the fact that your research isn't Derm-related. After all, PD's aren't generally requiring Lasker or Nobel Prize level research from res. candidates, but rather a proven interest in, and ability to perform, research.
Still, you WILL need Derm LoR's, and a compelling explanation as to why you want to switch from an interest in rads to Derm.