Last date acceptable MCAT date?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bme94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm applying to osteopathic schools this cycle, and would like to push my exam back to September 1st. I read somewhere that the September MCAT exams are not accepted...is this true? Or is there anyway I could find this out for certain? Also, would this kill my application? I don't know if this matters, but I have a cGPA of 3.71

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you do it Sep 1st, it should be done in 30 days so early October. No its not a killer for DO schools. Its not super early but not late either(I believe). Of course the issue is what your score is and a variety of other factors.
cGPA = 3.71 Great
sGPA = ?
EC's = ?
MCAT = ?
All these factors matter. Is your sGPA just as high? Are your EC's great? Also if you are applying in October, you should be aiming for 503+ at the minimum. Don't go for a 500 flat at that date. So its dependent on many factors. But again to emphasize, you are a little later in the cycle so don't aim for a 500-502, go for a higher score, even 505+ if needed due to other stats.

If you do it Sep 1st, it should be done in 30 days so early October. No its not a killer for DO schools. Its not super early but not late either(I believe). Of course the issue is what your score is and a variety of other factors.
cGPA = 3.71 Great
sGPA = ?
EC's = ?
MCAT = ?
All these factors matter. Is your sGPA just as high? Are your EC's great? Also if you are applying in October, you should be aiming for 503+ at the minimum. Don't go for a 500 flat at that date. So its dependent on many factors. But again to emphasize, you are a little later in the cycle so don't aim for a 500-502, go for a higher score, even 505+ if needed due to other stats.

Hey, so, sGPA: 3.6. ECs: 500 hours of clinical research, 300 hours of non-clinical research with my name on an abstract, 200 hours of scribing in the ER (have scribed with DOs), 100 of community service doing various activities over the years, a few clubs...I took the AAMC scored exam and got 126/122/128/130. CARS has been improving, took the scored exam back in early July. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, so, sGPA: 3.6. ECs: 500 hours of clinical research, 300 hours of non-clinical research with my name on an abstract, 200 hours of scribing in the ER (have scribed with DOs), 100 of community service doing various activities over the years, a few clubs...I took the AAMC scored exam and got 126/122/128/130. CARS has been improving, took the scored exam back in early July. What do you think?

Your sGPA is great, your EC's also look great! If you have letters of Rec(especially good ones) and score a 506, I think you are in GREAT shape as a DO. Heck if you score a 512+, you could be in great shape for MD(Next cycle, very late right now) but for a DO, if you score a 506+ in October with your stats, I definitely believe you should get interviews. Just apply broadly.

@DrMikeP and @Goro for opinion on your stats at October but personally I believe, if you get a 506+, you should get some love this cycle assuming you don't butcher your interviews and write decent essays.

Your sGPA is great, your EC's also look great! If you have letters of Rec(especially good ones) and score a 506, I think you are in GREAT shape as a DO. Heck if you score a 512+, you could be in great shape for MD(Next cycle, very late right now) but for a DO, if you score a 506+ in October with your stats, I definitely believe you should get interviews. Just apply broadly.

@DrMikeP and @Goro for opinion on your stats at October but personally I believe, if you get a 506+, you should get some love this cycle assuming you don't butcher your interviews and write decent essays.

Thank you! I've got LORs from the physician I worked with while doing clinical research, the professor I worked with while doing non-clinical research (PHD), a committee letter, and another professor at my university. Quick question - would research for academic credit count towards the sGPA? Hopefully I can score a 506+!

That will be OK...the DO cycle is longer.

Hi, I'm applying to osteopathic schools this cycle, and would like to push my exam back to September 1st. I read somewhere that the September MCAT exams are not accepted...is this true? Or is there anyway I could find this out for certain? Also, would this kill my application? I don't know if this matters, but I have a cGPA of 3.71

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you! I've got LORs from the physician I worked with while doing clinical research, the professor I worked with while doing non-clinical research (PHD), a committee letter, and another professor at my university. Quick question - would research for academic credit count towards the sGPA? Hopefully I can score a 506+!
Oct is fine if you do well on MCAT and are a strong candidate. Also look into a throwaway school so you can submit broadly as soon as your scores come in. Otherwise it could be a month plus to get verified.

Depends a lot on the research and how it is on your transcript. it must have grades and credit hours to count toward any gpa. You can email aacomas and see what they recommend.

Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk