Laser Eye Surgery? Hot or Not?

• Thread starter Doctor_Joyce_Brutha
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D

Doctor_Joyce_Brutha

Is this procedure safe and effective enough that you would reccomend it for me..(i want to have PERFECT vision, and i heard that a lot of times, you still need glasses after surgery)
I have -2.5 in both eyes....i want to join the air force...snyone have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Dr.J! Thanks for jumpin' in!

In my experience LASIK is very safe. There are varying reasons why certain people can't do the surgery though. With a -2.5 you should have great results.. but you really need to visit an OD for a pre-LASIK work up to make sure. They can take all the measurements of your cornea and evaluate your Rx to make sure you're a stellar candidate.

In my experience with watching well over fifty patients go through the surgery with the OD I worked for almost all of them had great results. But, there is no guarantee you're going to come out 20/20. I don't think anyone can guarantee that.

When choosing a surgeon. Don't go for the one with the coupon in the paper. Do some research in your area and find the guy that the other opthalmologists go to. THAT's the guy you want doing your eyes.. not some coupon-using bargain basement surgeon.

I found out I can't do the surgery.. so make sure you go to a reputable person to do your pre-surgery work up. A lot of surgeons would have shoved me into the cattle lineup and then found out my cornea was too thin for my Rx DURING surgery.. oops! Mine sat me down and told me I was considered "high risk" and shouldn't do it. (that's the kind of surgeon you want!)

You really should have no problems.. but definitely talk to your OD about who he/she recommends for surgery. Spend as much time researching your surgeon as you would when you're researching what kind of car to buy. They are your eyes after all!
Good luck!

Hey, Dr. J, I've worked in an optometrist office for over 2 years and I can share some information about LASIK, PRK, and other corrective surgery. The office that I work at is in the northern part of Indianpolis, and we see approx. 12,000/year, and we have seen around 250 patients for pre-op and post-op LASIK & PRK procedures over the past 2 1/2 years. I perform the "pre-testing" for LASIK, so I get to talk with patients about the surgery and her their impressions and opinions about everything. For myself, I wouldn't have LASIK, PRK done because my prescription isn't strong enough to necessitate surgery, -1.25 OD -1.00 OS, and I have no problem with wearing correction, but everyone is different, and like every surgery, there are possible complications. While most patients that I have spoken with are EXTREMELY happy about the surgery, there have been some, I would say 20-30, who were not very happy about the procedure.

For example, after eye surgery is that a few patients have problems with dryness. A co-worker of mine (who is VERY TYPE A) was a -7.50 D prior to surgery, who had a history of dry eyes prior to the surgery ... she quit wearing contact lenses because of the dryness. A year after the surgery, she is on a continuous regiment of artificial tears and various ointments to provide her some comfort. Most patients do suffer from some initial dryness, but the problems resolve themselves within a month or two, because of the various eye drops used to "rebuild" (not the word that I want to use, but I can't think of the technical term) the epilethium (sp?). In addition, most patients have a problem with driving at night because of the halo effect caused by the incision. If you have ever driven at night with contact lenses, RGP's or SCL's, you will understand what I'm talking about. Whenever I have to drive at night, I have to wear my AR glasses because I have problems with the glare.

Another problem with LASIK is the chance for myopic regression. With a -2.50 diopter RX, I wouldn't think this is common, but there are a few patients who have LASIK who must have an enhancement because their prescription has "regressed." The aformentioned patient has regressed to a
-1.00 SPH O.D., -2.50 w/ -1.00 CYL O.S. My co-worker does the "pre-testing" at the Indianapolis 500 with a doctor that I worked with previously and a driver who was a -4.00 before surgery, has regressed to 20/40 3 years after the surgery. The enhancements can usually be done within a year of the surgery, after that point, the incision that is made to the cornea is usually too "settled" in order to perform the enhancement. From the literature that I have read from TLC (The Laser Center), most patients who have the surgery above say, -5.00, will more than likely regress somewhat after surgery.

Although these patients are somewhat atypical, people have to be realistic about the surgery. LASIK is "to reduce your dependence on vision correction", so if you expect to see 20/20 after surgery; granted, it may happen, but if you have that as a requirement, you may be SADLY disappointed.

Nick

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Nick! Glad to see another Indianapolis Furture OD on here :) I am curious to find out where you work at and where you are planning to attend school at. I don't find too many people in the area interested in OD school, though in that little number you are the second Nick :)

Cassandra

Hey Cassandra,

He and I are one in the same, :oops:). I was a member of this message board first, but then I thought that it wasn't so smart to use my last name as a log in, so I switched to Nick from Indiana on the "other message board," which shall rename nameless. I don't usually check this board that much because there isn't much activity over here. Hopefully, that will change with time and people to think of optometry as a possible career choice. Anyways, I'll talk to you later.

Nick

BTW, it was Roy who was able to go to the Indianapolis 500 and do the pre-screening on the drivers ... lucky guy. He's been there the past two years. You would be surprised to see how competitive they are when you check V.A.'s. *smirk*

BTW Part II, Two of the technicians at the Lafayette office had LASIK done, one without any complications and the other who has had a bunch of problems, although after working with her, some of it is from her melodramatic attitude.

Well, hopefully that will start to change soon. I had orientation today and tomorrow so I've been telling a lot of people about it. (and i've seen them write it down on their folders) yeah! :D So, hopefully increase in at least UHCO students. :D ;)

Hey Nick!

I wondered about that. I thought it was either you or another Nick that works at Zionsville. The Zionsville clinic I was thinking of does a lot of pretest and post work with TLC. Infact TLC helped them purchase a few pieces of equipment so they can do all the pretesting for lasik there in that office.

He is number on 2 on the IU wait list..so hopefully someone decided to go elsewhere and he'll be packing up and moving down to Bloomington...

Cassie

How sad is it that we're in the computer lab learning about orientation type stuff.. and here I am on SDN. ;) But, I see lots of other people on Hotmail and Yahoo mail.. so i guess I'm not alone.