Larkin Orthopedics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orthos123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am an Ortho intern here at Larkin and wanted to fill everyone in on the status of our program. Over the last few weeks we and a few other institutions have been working with ERAS to fix a glitch in their system that was preventing our program from appearing correctly. Their issue has now been rectified and applications can now be sent for consideration. If anyone has any questions about the application process or about the program in general, please don't hesitate to contact me by personal message or on this thread.

Best of luck during auditions!

Members don't see this ad.

Did Larkin get ACGME accreditation?

Did Larkin get ACGME accreditation?
Like many DO Ortho programs, we didn't on the first pass. Main reasons were lack of sim labs and an oncology rotation which we are in the process of acquiring.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like many DO Ortho programs, we didn't on the first pass. Main reasons were lack of sim labs and an oncology rotation which we are in the process of acquiring.

I don't claim to know what I'm talking about... but isn't the lack of an oncology rotation in an ortho residency kind of a big deal? Isn't a big part of ortho operating on bone cancers/mets? (Which I assume would be the purpose of an oncology rotation).

Reactions: 1 user
So are you optimistic about getting ACGME, or do you think the program will bow out due to cost?

I don't claim to know what I'm talking about... but isn't the lack of an oncology rotation in an ortho residency kind of a big deal? Isn't a big part of ortho operating on bone cancers/mets? (Which I assume would be the purpose of an oncology rotation).

While Oncology is certainly important and is a necessary field, not all Orthopedists resect tumors. Some general/other specialty surgeons will resect giant cell/benign lesions, yes, but most are sent to Ortho Onc. Those guys are usually only found in large academic centers in highly populated cities. Just as a for instance, I did 4 four week rotations my fourth year and none of those DO programs had Ortho Onc, so it is not an uncommon finding in DO programs. However, these programs will be finding one to meet ACMGE guidelines.

So are you optimistic about getting ACGME, or do you think the program will bow out due to cost?

I am. We have more than two years to get everything in line, which will be more than enough time. It is a tedious process, but the lab is in the works and we are changing things day by day to meet criteria. As far as an oncology rotation, we have been talking to docs that have expressed interest in helping us with an Oncology rotation.

Reactions: 1 users
While Oncology is certainly important and is a necessary field, not all Orthopedists resect tumors. Some general/other specialty surgeons will resect giant cell/benign lesions, yes, but most are sent to Ortho Onc. Those guys are usually only found in large academic centers in highly populated cities. Just as a for instance, I did 4 four week rotations my fourth year and none of those DO programs had Ortho Onc, so it is not an uncommon finding in DO programs. However, these programs will be finding one to meet ACMGE guidelines.

I am. We have more than two years to get everything in line, which will be more than enough time. It is a tedious process, but the lab is in the works and we are changing things day by day to meet criteria. As far as an oncology rotation, we have been talking to docs that have expressed interest in helping us with an Oncology rotation.
Thanks for answering, its hard to find stuff on AOA Ortho. Are you guys going to do Osteopathic recognition or just straight transferring without? Also what do you think will be required for people post merger, is it going USMLE required, no audition rotations etc?

Thanks for answering, its hard to find stuff on AOA Ortho. Are you guys going to do Osteopathic recognition or just straight transferring without? Also what do you think will be required for people post merger, is it going USMLE required, no audition rotations etc?
Unfortunately, I think these questions are a little harder to answer at this point since we haven't exactly crossed that bridge as far as what will be "required" for boards and for consideration of a spot (that and lowly interns don't have too much say in the matter). Being competitive in the numbers department will always be a thing with Ortho, that will never change, but as far as what needs to be done with exams will be hashed out at a later date. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

In regards to the audition rotations: In the DO world, we all know audition rotations are highly valued and a lot of places wont interview without an audition. Having said that, several people in our program did not rotate here, myself included. As always, rotating students will be known by the residents better come interview time, be that for better or for worse depending on how their auditions go. And I think the rest of the interns at any program would tend to agree with that last statement.

Do you have any insight about whether the psych program is still considerd safe given the recent tragedy? Feel free to pm me if that's better. Larkin psychiatry is not in match (but is eras) but it seems risky now.

Do you have any insight about whether the psych program is still considerd safe given the recent tragedy? Feel free to pm me if that's better. Larkin psychiatry is not in match (but is eras) but it seems risky now.

Unfortunately I do not. I don't know too much about any other program outside of my own. I would recommend shooting an email to someone in that program though and I am sure they would be happy to answer it. I will try to find someone you can contact and PM you if I find something out.