Large class sizes suck?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cromagnon

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for input from people who attend schools with large class sizes. It would seem that it would be easy to get lost in the shuffle and harder to connect with profs. On the plus side it seems that you have more opportunities to meet people since there are so many.

Another concern for me is how class size affects grading. For schools that are on a 4 interval scale it would seem that a large class size would make it harder to make honors.

Am I wrong?

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking from my seat in the back of an auditorium with about 200 students, I think that the large class size is actually more good than bad because...
-like you said, more opportunities to meet people, more people doing cool things when you don't want to study, etc. Coming in, I figured that with 200 people I was sure to meet at least 4 or 5 that I could get along with.
-It's easier to have more, and more active, student groups. For one, there's someone interested in everything, so there will be an interest group for every specialty. Also, those groups will have the manpower to actually do things without the same people doing all the work (unlike my small high school).
-If you want to just blend in, you can. On the other hand, in terms of "getting lost in the shuffle," I don't see how being in a class of 200 is any different than a class of 100. You're still gonna be in a lecture hall, and a lecturer is no more likely to learn your name in the smaller class. If you want to ask questions after class, you still can, but remember that a lecture is a lecture (ie. usually not all that interactive) now matter how many people are there. Your small groups will still be small, there will just be more of them.
-Grading--your issue kinda confuses me, probably because I'm not sure what a "4 interval scale" is. I'm guessing that any school that grades its students against one another does so based on percentages, so it shouldn't be any harder to honor at a big school. In fact, speaking in raw numbers, more people could "beat" you and you could still honor. In general, I don't think this would be an issue. Oh, and you shouldn't be working for the grade, anyway, right? :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, that's my take. It seems to me that this is something that really concerns people that are applying and I don't really understand why. Hopefully some of what I wrote makes sense. I'm sure there are folks on the other side of the fence that will call BS on all of it, so sort through stuff and figure out how you'll be most successful. Good luck.

I'm not in medschool, but if the same theories and principles apply to any large class I'd take the small one any day. I don't like it when a class is so big the instructor cannot make eye contact with me at least once per class. That way I at least know he/she knows I am there, I exist, etc.

Mastashake

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't matter. My class is about 130. Everyone sits in lectures for the first two years, and there is plenty of opportunity to "connect with the profs" in the many 10-person small groups. In the third and fourth years, you will never see the majority of your classmates at all.

cromagnon said:
and harder to connect with profs.

For schools that are on a 4 interval scale it would seem that a large class size would make it harder to make honors.

Am I wrong?

Why would you need to connect with professors in MS1, 2? You go to class, you learn the material, you take an exam. End of story. If you need extra help, you can schedule an appointment
In your 3rd/4th years, you will only work with 2-3 other students at a time

What does grading have to do with class size? X% get honors, Y% get HP, the rest pass/fail. It's all about the numbers

Yep.

Mastashake said:
I'm not in medschool, but if the same theories and principles apply to any large class I'd take the small one any day. I don't like it when a class is so big the instructor cannot make eye contact with me at least once per class. That way I at least know he/she knows I am there, I exist, etc.

Mastashake

Hi there,
Class size in medical school does not matter. For the most part, class size in undergraduate does not matter either. Just do well at either level.
njbmd :)

idq1i said:
Why would you need to connect with professors in MS1, 2? You go to class, you learn the material, you take an exam. End of story. If you need extra help, you can schedule an appointment
In your 3rd/4th years, you will only work with 2-3 other students at a time

What does grading have to do with class size? X% get honors, Y% get HP, the rest pass/fail. It's all about the numbers

Yep.

Agreed!

I go to Wayne, and it's the biggest single campus med school with about 250-260 in the current classes. I like having the large class size since it allows you more opportunities to meet people, while preventing everyone from being all up in your business. The people who like to ask questions and deal with professors get plenty of that, since 95% of students never feel the need to do so. It's not like undergrad where you have to make sure your prof knows your name in order to get a good grade. Everyone takes the same MC tests, so there isn't a big need to 'make yourself known.' To me class size is a non-issue.

Mastashake said:

Mastashake

are you for real????????

:rolleyes:

i think i bigger class is better because it'l be more dynamic and have more people to interact with...i always like to have several groups of friends that i can shift between just to spice things up!

and im sure you can interact with profs outside of class during their office hours.

Mastashake said:

Mastashake

Haha good one, even if they did see you its unlikely they would remember you unless you talked to them after class or did a rotation with him or something.

What everyone forgets is that these are the people you are going to be with for 4 years, so it would be better to have a bigger class where you are more likely to meet people you like than a smaller class where everything is gossip. You can always downsize a large class by limiting who you chill with, but you can't make your class larger.

That's why I have always been scared to apply to Mayo at any stage of my education, having only a few dozen students without an undergrad and in the freezing cold makes it seem more like a reality show than a med school.