Laptops in sydney

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karim_Basha

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering....how much could I get a new laptop in Sydney "compared" to what I can find here in Canada?

I mean is it better for me to buy the laptop from Toronto before I leave or should I wait till I go to Sydney...

The biggest advantage of buying it from Sydney would be that the warranty will be from sydney (can easily fix).

So are laptops much cheaper in Canada?.....I've heard some of the forum members say that electronics are more expensive in Australia..

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks..

Members don't see this ad.

Can't remember how much more expensive they are, but when I was in Australia, I remember that almost everything electronic had a higher cost than it did in Canada.

Also of note is that Toronto's one of the cheaper places around for buying computer type stuff.

Then again, the price of a laptop is negligible compared with the mountain of money you'll be shelling out to attend medical school. :rolleyes:

Karim_Basha said:
Hey guys I was wondering....how much could I get a new laptop in Sydney "compared" to what I can find here in Canada?

I mean is it better for me to buy the laptop from Toronto before I leave or should I wait till I go to Sydney...

The biggest advantage of buying it from Sydney would be that the warranty will be from sydney (can easily fix).

So are laptops much cheaper in Canada?.....I've heard some of the forum members say that electronics are more expensive in Australia..

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks..

Then again, the price of a laptop is negligible compared with the mountain of money you'll be shelling out to attend medical school. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

You've got a point there...and boy is that mountain a big one.....but why not save a few bucks when you can.... thanks for the reply..

Members don't see this ad :)
holy cow, definitely order one from dell or something before you go. MASSIVELY cheaper and more options and smaller, etc. etc. etc... i'm always shocked at what my domestic friends have paid for their computers to what i've paid for my originally american computer.

Off2Oz said:
Can't remember how much more expensive they are, but when I was in Australia, I remember that almost everything electronic had a higher cost than it did in Canada.

Also of note is that Toronto's one of the cheaper places around for buying computer type stuff.

Then again, the price of a laptop is negligible compared with the mountain of money you'll be shelling out to attend medical school. :rolleyes:

I just checked apple.com.ca and apple.com.au, you can buy a 12" iBook with educ discount $77 canadian dollars cheaper in canada than you can in Aus.
:(

We also don't have an iTunes music store :(

Makes you wonder if this is a civilised country after all.

Definitely buy in Canada, I would say. Even better though, is if you can buy a laptop in Hong Kong or Taiwan... wayyyy cheaper there!

ddub55 said:
Definitely buy in Canada, I would say. Even better though, is if you can buy a laptop in Hong Kong or Taiwan... wayyyy cheaper there!

How much cheaper are we looking at ?

Karim_Basha said:

I don't think I've ever purchased a warranty on a laptop and I haven't had problems yet.... *knocks on wood*

Electronics are more expensive in Australia... I think what you have to consider is that if you buy a laptop once you get here, you're going to have to invest time in going around looking for something. If you couple that with the fact that you're in a new city (I am assuming you've never been here before), you're likely going to get ripped off since you don't know where to get cheap goods. If you're going to buy a major brand name model like Dell, then you might as well buy it at home because they have Dell service centres here.

While you're at home, you can take your time looking for something you want.

The only thing you need is an outlet adapter so you can fit your North American plug into an Australian socket (sounds dirty doesn't it?).

Most, if not all power supplies for laptops have voltage converters built in.