Laptops in India

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sman15rulz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi i have an okay laptop herei n Canada which i bought about 8 months ago. I was thinking of bring it to India but will it cause any problems at customs? will they just make me pay like 100 rupees or something or make me not enter at all or something of that sort? Also my dad was willing to pay for another laptop from there but i don't know where i can get a good laptop like the ones here with a good videocard which will ship because i am going to be in Tamil Nadu. So i am not sure if there are going to be any good stores there so can anyone help me? Should i just take my laptop with a converter over there? Any help would be great. Thanks. Also do any of you use laptop in India during med school because i know some people who go the entire school without ever using laptop. So i just wanted to know if and how many people use them there and for what such as gaming, internet (if available, how much do you pay?) etc. Thanks and any help would be great guys.

Members don't see this ad.

HI

You are allowed to take in one laptop. It is clearly stated on the customs form. Do not pay anything at all.

sman15rulz said:
Hi i have an okay laptop herei n Canada which i bought about 8 months ago. I was thinking of bring it to India but will it cause any problems at customs? will they just make me pay like 100 rupees or something or make me not enter at all or something of that sort? Also my dad was willing to pay for another laptop from there but i don't know where i can get a good laptop like the ones here with a good videocard which will ship because i am going to be in Tamil Nadu. So i am not sure if there are going to be any good stores there so can anyone help me? Should i just take my laptop with a converter over there? Any help would be great. Thanks. Also do any of you use laptop in India during med school because i know some people who go the entire school without ever using laptop. So i just wanted to know if and how many people use them there and for what such as gaming, internet (if available, how much do you pay?) etc. Thanks and any help would be great guys.
Depending on what kind of laptop you got, then you will most likely need to purchase a Samsonite Travel Converter (or some other brand like that).

Members don't see this ad :)
sunny123 said:
Depending on what kind of laptop you got, then you will most likely need to purchase a Samsonite Travel Converter (or some other brand like that).
Get an apple the best way to go.

sunny123 said:
I'll have a mango instead.
i'm going to beat you with my cricket bat

data said:
i'm going to beat you with my cricket bat
You don't got one. I got a hockey stick and a tennis racquet, so watch out for some dishoom-dishoom!!

sunny123 said:
You don't got one. I got a hockey stick and a tennis racquet, so watch out for some dishoom-dishoom!!
bumbaross

sunny123 said:
Stop trying to act ghetto. Stay brown.
YOU BIG PAKI CRY BABY

don't cry your eye dry ur eye.

data said:
YOU BIG PAKI CRY BABY

don't cry your eye dry ur eye.
Look at the funny man people :p

m21faces.gif

u are truly the FUNNY BOY

I was just worried about the warranty. Like say it doesnt work after a week or so because i by mistake the wrong converter(if there is such a thing as a wrong converter) or somethingelse, then i will have to ship it back to fix it. Also i was worried about the people stealing it but i guess that is everywhere but the damage thing was what i was mostly worried about. I was also thinking of buying a new laptop from india itself but do anyone know where or any website where i can order and ship it there so that if it is damaged, i could take it during a weekend and get it fixed. THanks

Members don't see this ad :)
sman15rulz said:
Also do any of you use laptop in India during med school because i know some people who go the entire school without ever using laptop. So i just wanted to know if and how many people use them there and for what such as gaming, internet (if available, how much do you pay?) etc. Thanks and any help would be great guys.

personally speaking i dont use a laptop & to the best of my knowledge nobody in my class of 120 people own a laptop. But majority of us own a PC at home. But a few guys from senior class do have a laptops. My hostel doesnt allow students to have PCs in their hostel room, but as u know rules are there to be broken. so couple of guys do have PCs on their rooms.
I'm not aware of situation in colleges down south. I think laptops and computers are more common in private colleges where rich indians and NRIs study. Computer is still a luxury for many indians. A simple P4 pc cost 25 grand here in mumbai and cheapest of laptops comes with prize tag of at least 35000.
Southern india is comparatively well wired than north india. so broad band connectivity shouldnt be a problem. Opt 4 private ISPs such as Reliance and satyam. though they may be bit costlier but serivce is usually good. currently i am posting this reply from a satyam computer kiosk in our college. if u r igoing to be in chennai u shouldnt have any problems for servicing ur laptop and procuring hardwares. But always go to a computer store with a local classmate so that u not fleeced.

sman15rulz said:
how many people use them there and for what such as gaming, internet (if available, how much do you pay?) etc. Thanks and any help would be great guys.

people use their cell phones more than computers for gaming here. :p buy a nokia ngage.... and play asphalt with u r fellow backbenchers to survive boring lecture going on in class ;) What is u r favourite computer game. My favourite is one is Doom.

Shardul u look like a lamington road junkie to me :p

allergic2morons said:
Shardul u look like a lamington road junkie to me :p

:laugh: i have been doing lots of round of lamington road with my engineer friend he has just got a brand new PC for himself. I'm also thinking about upgrading my pc. Actually i have to decide between buying a new nokia 3230 and upgrading my PC. :(

shardul said:
:laugh: i have been doing lots of round of lamington road with my engineer friend he has just got a brand new PC for himself. I'm also thinking about upgrading my pc. Actually i have to decide between buying a new nokia 3230 and upgrading my PC. :(
man i would opt for 3230 any time!!

Thanks for your replies guys but one question. My laptop is a hp one from canada and when iwent to hpindia.com, there is a centre in chennai. Now, what i was wondering was say i have a problem, can i take it there or since i bought it from hpcanada i can only take it to a centre in canada? Plus i wont be staying in hostel, i will be staying a little away because of family living close, so the rules dont necessarily apply but i plan on moving to hostel in about 4 months or so once my relatives start to become unbearable :D . Maybe then, i might have to be a lot careful. Do they check rooms to make sure of any of these things and also what about food? Can you bring it to your hostel or its prohibited? Thanks guys.

sman15rulz said:
I was just worried about the warranty. Like say it doesnt work after a week or so because i by mistake the wrong converter(if there is such a thing as a wrong converter) or somethingelse, then i will have to ship it back to fix it. Also i was worried about the people stealing it but i guess that is everywhere but the damage thing was what i was mostly worried about. I was also thinking of buying a new laptop from india itself but do anyone know where or any website where i can order and ship it there so that if it is damaged, i could take it during a weekend and get it fixed. THanks
You could purchase a Targus defcon notebook lock if you are worried about safety... go with an audible one if you want to scare all the robbers :D .

hey

about your labtop. i was told once you get there you are going to need a 3 pin adapter( i think this is the same as converter) and voltage stablilizer. But i was also told that this stuff is available in India. so i don't think finding it should be a problem. If you find those things then go ahead and take it with you, one less headache.

good luck!

sman15rulz said:
Plus i wont be staying in hostel, i will be staying a little away because of family living close, so the rules dont necessarily apply but i plan on moving to hostel in about 4 months or so once my relatives start to become unbearable :D . Maybe then, i might have to be a lot careful. Do they check rooms to make sure of any of these things and also what about food? Can you bring it to your hostel or its prohibited? Thanks guys.

i dont think hostel rules r same everywhere. i guess as u r NRi u 'll b stay on a separate hostel meant exclusively for NRIs which have higher rents & better amenities. u shouldnt have problem bringing laptop in u r hostel

Actually iam not sure about the hostel rules or anything like that. They said they will explain them to me when i get there so iam still waiting for that. Actually i am not going to take my laptop right now. My parents are coming in December so i told them to bring it then so i can have 4 months to see how its going to be like seeing how i do in school. Definitely i will spend more time studying so that is one of the main reasons.