Laptop purchase

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mward04

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new laptop, and I thought I'd ask you all if you have any suggestions. So far, the Dell Inspiron 600M is looking like my best deal. At around $1100 I get:
*Intel Pentium M Processor at 1.5GHz and 400MHz Front Side Bus
*Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
*14.1" XGA TFT Display
*32MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 Graphics
*256MB DDR Memory, 30GB on the harddrive
*CDRW/DVD
*4.98lbs

But I know there's got to be a better deal out there...any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

mward04 said:
I'm in the market for a new laptop, and I thought I'd ask you all if you have any suggestions. So far, the Dell Inspiron 600M is looking like my best deal. At around $1100 I get:
*14.1" XGA TFT Display
*CDRW/DVD
*4.98lbs

that's a great deal. for $1100, youd be hard pressed to find better.

Take a look at some of the Toshiba laptops. They are awesome....

Members don't see this ad :)
mward04 said:
Any specific models or stores to look at?

I have a Satellite and the computer has amazing capability with a 15" display. However, you won't find as good a deal as the Inspiron (think they run upwards of $1800). The only other con is that this thing weighs a ton, so you might want to check out other models such as the Tecra (pretty much comparable to the Inspiron, but run from $1400-$1750) or Portege ($2200 - yikes!).

mward04 said:
*14.1" XGA TFT Display
*CDRW/DVD
*4.98lbs

U haven't got ANY upgrades in ur deal. But u won't get a 5 lbs computer w/ Centrino for less than 1100. So go w/ it. Make sure u have speakers. :thumbup:

Or u can screw the weight/mobility and get a suped up P4 with few more upgrades.

mward04 said:
Any specific models or stores to look at?

I forgot what the model was. It was around $1200. It was is the ad for Fry's Electronics (a store in California). I'm not sure it you're familiar with this store since it's not nationwide, but you can always go to their web site: www.outpost.com

Tip: Try to find the lowest price that you can then find out if Circuit City carries it, ask them to match the price and not only they will match it but they'll also give you 110% of the difference back. They are glad to sell you something so feel free to do it. Just have the paper ad with you. (A dollar saved is a dollar earned!)

Before you make your purchase decision, take a look at what the convertible tablet pc has to offer. I like light weight ultra portable laptops. They are great for taking notes, etc but would really like the ability to take a pen (stylus) and draw a quick diagram from the board or make notes on the prof's PPT slides.

The convertible tablet pc retains the functionality of the laptop yet provides a mechanism to draw on the screen. The technology has been out for a while, but only recently are we starting to see this technology begin to be affordable. There are several web sites that talk about the benefits of a convertible/tablet esp for students - such as tabletpcbuzz.com, etc.

Good Luck,
-Y_Marker