Laptop + Bag for Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starstrike

Goldmember
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Was wondering if anybody has any thoughts on a computer for medical school. I have a 6 year old MBP 15" that I use as my main workhorse - it is certainly starting to show its age despite upgrading the RAM to 8gb and adding a 256gb SSD.

I was thinking of going for a rMBP 15" to replace my current MBP, but was wondering if anybody else had any suggestions. I like having a large screen size mainly for multitasking - I usually have multiple browser tabs, Word, etc open side by side. I have thought about downsizing to a 13" or 12" computer, but I feel that it would be too small to be productive and to multitask like I currently do. I would like to have something with a good amount of power as it will replace my main computer, but graphics processing power isn't much of an issue for me (a nice bonus for gaming once in a while I guess).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

StarStrike

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure a 13'' or 12'' computer can still multitask and have multiple browser tabs open, its just that gaming will be an issue. I also like having a larger laptop so I understand where you are coming from. I think you should replace it, 6 years is way too old things have changed for sure.

I'm pretty sure a 13'' or 12'' computer can still multitask and have multiple browser tabs open, its just that gaming will be an issue. I also like having a larger laptop so I understand where you are coming from. I think you should replace it, 6 years is way too old things have changed for sure.

Gaming isn't a big deal for me. Dont think I've touched a PC game for at least a couple of years (I use consoles more often). I am definitely getting a new computer - I just haven't figured out what yet. I'm 99% I want a Mac given the warranty, specs, and premium build quality. Most likely going with the 15" rMBP for the extra screen real estate and processing power (it's a shame the 13" "Pro" laptops use Ultra low voltage dual core processors in them). I lugged my MBP 15" all throughout undergrad without much of a problem.. I don't think it should be an issue now.

Any ideas on a good bag? Something to fit a laptop, tablet, school supplies and maybe a book or two (or whatever else you might regularly carry for school).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Not really sorry, i guess any bag with a design you like. That would be more personal choice i would say.

Yeah I think 15'' rMBP is for you. Its what I would get if I wanted a Mac.

I downsized to a 13" from 15". I originally thought it'd be too small, but I have zero issues with multiple tabs and screen open. Easier to travel with too (I travel carryon only with a backpack often).

I have a Swiss Army bag. But I'm pretty loyal to the SA brand - personal preference. I've never run out of space with it.

I downsized to a 13" from 15". I originally thought it'd be too small, but I have zero issues with multiple tabs and screen open. Easier to travel with too (I travel carryon only with a backpack often).

I have a Swiss Army bag. But I'm pretty loyal to the SA brand - personal preference. I've never run out of space with it.

I'll test it out the 13" in the Apple Store the next time I'm in there. I usually snap a web browser and the word processor side by side on the desktop to work and read simultaneously. I have a tablet too that I'm hoping to use for note taking/annotation - probably the main thing I'll be using in class. That's also why I was thinking of having a larger machine to focus on productivity as I can use the tablet for the rest of the basics.

I have a Swiss bag too - really solid, but it's starting to tear a part now (use it all the time for traveling and school). I might just pick up another...

I do the Word side by side with Firefox (or First Aid ... or Toronto Notes) daily. 13" definitely works.

If you had seen the fuss I kicked up downgrading from a 15.4" to the 13" back 2 years ago, you'd know how far I've come to even recommend at 13" haha

My Swiss Army bag ripped halfway through first year - it was 8 years old. Time for a new one anyway. Start fresh :)

I do the Word side by side with Firefox (or First Aid ... or Toronto Notes) daily. 13" definitely works.

If you had seen the fuss I kicked up downgrading from a 15.4" to the 13" back 2 years ago, you'd know how far I've come to even recommend at 13" haha

My Swiss Army bag ripped halfway through first year - it was 8 years old. Time for a new one anyway. Start fresh :)

Hahaha fair enough :p. I'll look into it... Tho I am pretty stubborn!