laproscopic surgery, blood loss and left ventricular failure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherrypicker999

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate a view on this:

A 76 year old man has elective surgery to remove gall stones using laproscopic surgery.
He has no history of heart problems.

Haemoglobin was normal pre-surgery, but dropped drastically post-surgery
(Hg less than 4)
Estimated blood loss during surgery = 500ml

Can one conclude (1 or 2):

A. The patient suffered modest post-operative blood loss
B. The patient suffered severe post-operative blood loss

Is the answer obvious?

The patient suffers left ventricular failure and dies later that day.

Would such a degree of blood loss result in left ventricular failure?

Can one conclude (1 or 2):

1. Given that he had little evidence of significant pre-existing heart disease and given that fluid/blood loss was modest post-operatively, the severity of his heart problems are difficult to account for.”

2. Given that he had little evidence of significant pre-existing heart disease and given that fluid/blood loss was severe post-operatively, the severity of his heart problems can be explained by the severe blood loss.

Is the answer obvious?

What would cause such a massive blood loss?
Eg a clip coming off, "nicking" a vessel etc?

Any comments on what happened?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh no! I lost the reply i had previous typed! :mad: Anyway, to sum up, Waiting4Ganong is right in the fact that confidentiality can be breached, even if care has been taken not to name the patient. Cherry, you had enough info. in there to definitely make the patient identifiable, if someone familiar with the case happened to look in here.

Although we welcome case discussions, great care must be taken to protect confidentiality, especially on a public internet forum AND ESPECIALLY IF THIS IS A CASE TO BE DISCUSSED IN AN M&M CONFERENCE OR IF IT IS BEING BROUGHT UP FOR INQUEST!!! M&M's in themselves are confidential to the utmost. Should you wish to discuss cases, make them general enough. We do not need to see every detail sequentially, every blood pressure, or the labs! Make it general and non-quantifiable. Also, do not write the patient's whole chart in here, or your superiors' notes. Paraphrase!

I have massively edited your post in order to make it more appropriate for discussion. A lot of the questions you posed should be posited to your consultant or at an m&m conference, not here.

Since the OP has posted multiple threads on this same topic & has no other posts here, it really appears to be someone coming here for medical advice. Because of this I am closing the threads.

To the OP: SDN is not for medical advice. Please do not post similar topics in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.