Langerhans Cell Histiocytosis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akuko2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen a STEP 1 level question on anything related to a Langerhans cell histiocytosis like eosinophilic granuloma, Letterer-Siwe, or Hand-Schuller-Christian disease? I'm jw bc I have yet to see it on UWORLD but its in pathoma as well as our school's in house exams.

Members don't see this ad.

There's one NBME that has like 3 langerhans questions and at least one other that has at least one.

Reactions: 1 user
If they do ask questions on the different subdivisions of LCH it’s kinda silly, most of those are antiquated terms and the disease is thought of more as a spectrum and classified by extent of organ involvement now.
Then again, we still need to know all of those old names for our Derm boards.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Saw 2 so far with heavy emphasis on Birbeck granules

Birbeck granules. CD1a. S100. Profit.

Reactions: 7 users
As per above, unless you’re taking the derm boards, I wouldn’t worry about knowing the subtypes

My deepest regret was not spending a lot more time on it. I mean I've seen it so many times and just always feel shaky on treating it.

Reactions: 1 users
As per above, unless you’re taking the derm boards, I wouldn’t worry about knowing the subtypes

THEN WHY THE EFF DO THEY PUT IT IN FIRST AID?!?!?!?!?!?!!!

(not yelling at you persay...)

But this is literally my biggest frustration with boards.

It's just safe to know everything I guess.

Know those 600-700 pages cold and you should be straight, I take it.

Ridiculous.

So what I’m hearing is learning abt LCH is useful for two reasons: gunning for 1 answer on STEP and shaming your derm interested friends if they don’t know about it in detail.

Has anyone ever seen a STEP 1 level question on anything related to a Langerhans cell histiocytosis like eosinophilic granuloma, Letterer-Siwe, or Hand-Schuller-Christian disease? I'm jw bc I have yet to see it on UWORLD but its in pathoma as well as our school's in house exams.
If you think that's bad, every year at least one, if not more of my students complain to our Med Micro Professor that they saw some obscure Third World intestinal roundworm on boards that they were never taught about.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't know if you med school students look much at the mouth, but another good indicator is the presence of natal molars. The other syndromes that come with natal teeth are usually lower incisors, whereas Langerhans cell histiocytosis is unique in this regard.