Landscape of Anesthesia in Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ewps13

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am participating in the match this year, and my top choice is Anesthesia. If the medical field was just about doing what you liked and no outside factors played a part, (e.g. compensation, HMOs, anesthesia management companies, and CRNAs did not exist) there would be no difficulty in my decision. Anesthesia is by far ahead of all the other fields.

However, in reality, all medical fields are dynamic and many other factors exist that can alter your level of content. My priorities for being content are to be able to practice in Chicago and work reasonable hours in a practice that will allow for partnership. Hopefully get paid a decent coin while doing this.

Is Chicago a market where this is viable? OR will it be ran by AMCs in the near future? Can this be said about most markets in general 10 years from now?

A corollary to this question would be the landscape of IM in Chicago. That is my second choice. Not a huge fan of the pace of IM, but I think I could probably get a fellowship in Pulm/Cardio with a little work.

Members don't see this ad.

Think about what you are asking. Downtown is no shortage of anesthesiologists. Large academic centers are where the majority of inner city surgery is done. Granted, I'm not well informed on the surgicenter scene. However, I bet if there is a niche to be exploited here, its been done already. And many times over.

All the private plastics guys who have their own or's here that I know of use a mobile anesthesiology group. thats all they do is plastics.

I have no doubt that you can/will be hired to join a practice in Chicago proper. But the road to a partnership will be a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong term commitment. If you move out to the burbs, different story. You can pull off what you requested without the impediments of the inner city.

Vent

My priorities for being content are to be able to practice in Chicago and work reasonable hours in a practice that will allow for partnership. Hopefully get paid a decent coin while doing this.

So you want lifestyle, location and money?

That does not happen in a commodity field like anesthesia (or general surgery or IM). You either have to pick the two that matter most or find some way to make yourself unique and thus able to get what everyone else wants.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you want lifestyle, location and money?

That does not happen in a commodity field like anesthesia (or general surgery or IM). You either have to pick the two that matter most or find some way to make yourself unique and thus able to get what everyone else wants.

true. But sometimes finding the right job is as much about timing and connections as your qualifications. Be a stand up guy and treat EVERYBODY with respect. Who knows, that scrub tech or nurse may have an in law who is the head of your dream group.