Lamar/Montclair Au.D.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aud20doc10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied to Lamar University (Texas) or Montclair and heard back yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Just thought that you should know that Montclair's doctoral level degree for Audiology is an Sc.D. in Audiology and not an Au.D. - you might want to make sure that you understand the research component of it.

Hi...I got accepted to Montclair and I'm in the process of deciding between there, Towson, and Nova Southeastern. Have you heard back from Montclair and if so, are you planning on going? Do you know anyone else who will be starting this fall?

Is anyone else in this forum planning on attending any of these three schools? Get in touch!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll just make a comment about Montclair... don't go there. Their program is not what I'd consider comprehensive and it's not a clinical audiology program. You MUST do research and that's more of the focus, not your clinical education. I've also found their program less than par with what we're pushing the profession towards.

As far as Lamar University - I knew a girl who went there and said that for her practicum placements during the school year and summer, she would typically have to drive the 1 1/2- 2 hour commute into Houston for placements.

I'm not sure what percentage of the class will eventually have to do this, but that's a decent drive to do more than once a week.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Montclair's program has both a clinical and research track. The current first years and the upcoming classes will have the option of receiving either their Sc.D. or AuD based on what they want to focus on. Research is the basis of the field of audiology and its clinical practice. Therefore, it is funny that you would may it seem that getting involved in research is a negative thing. Montclair's program has 118 credits, which is more than other programs and it's research track does not take away from clinical experience. The school's brand new facility has been said to rival that of Vanderbilt. When I went to see it, I was thoroughly impressed. I'm highly considering attending :)

I'll just say with the Montclair students I've been exposed to, I felt like the education was lacking. As a second year, I felt like I know more than the 4th year student at my placement in quite a few areas. Many programs have at least 118 credits (mine has 135).

I never said research was negative, just that they put more focus on the research than on the clinical education. In the long run, isn't a better clinical education more important to getting a clinical job than a research project is? That's just my opinion about the situation.

Saucy I gotta be honest with you, I'm tired of Salus students/staff or whatever you do there talking crap about Montclair. I'm not sure if you people have a Napoleon complex, where you think you need to go on the offensive because maybe you think you need to fight for your survival. If you want to present information, make sure it is backed up with facts and not BS. He said, she said isn't gonna fly anymore.

I'll show you how this works:

Fact, Montclair has a brand new facility with 2 rooms for AE, a separate room for HA's, a room for balance testing and a room for evoked potentials. There is also a teaching lab, which houses a both and extra equipment. This room can be used for practice if the 2 main clinic rooms are busy. There are also a number of rooms for research.
Fact, all the professors are very knowledgeable in the subjects they teach and are always glad assist you and take the time to explain any misunderstandings you may have.
Fact, a 14 year old can be taught to push buttons on the audiometer and run tymps. Maybe you should've became an audiology tech.
Opinion, Montclair Audiology sucks because I have to walk 20 feet to the main entrance when it is raining.

So Saucy, do me a favor and take waxlover (there's another one, I can't remember), the other hater on this forum, and go push buttons on your audiometer and tell yourselves that you are great audiologists.

Aud20doc10 and decisiontime if you would like more information, pm me.

Last edited:
Saucy I gotta be honest with you, I'm tired of Salus students/staff or whatever you do there talking crap about Montclair. I'm not sure if you people have a Napoleon complex, where you think you need to go on the offensive because maybe you think you need to fight for your survival. If you want to present information, make sure it is backed up with facts and not BS. He said, she said isn't gonna fly anymore.

Fact, Montclair has a brand new facility with 2 rooms for AE, a separate room for HA's, a room for balance testing and a room for evoked potentials. There is also a teaching lab, which houses a both and extra equipment. This room can be used for practice if the 2 main clinic rooms are busy. There are also a number of rooms for research.
Fact, all the professors are very knowledgeable in the subjects they teach and are always glad assist you and take the time to explain any misunderstandings you may have.
Fact, a 14 year old can be taught to push buttons on the audiometer and run tymps. Maybe you should've became an audiology tech.
Opinion, Montclair Audiology sucks because I have to walk 20 feet to the main entrance when it is raining.

So Saucy, do me a favor and take waxlover (there's another one, I can't remember), the other hater on this forum, and go push buttons on your audiometer and tell yourselves that you are great audiologists.

:thumbup: well said and 100% accurate

You know, I had posted a reply, but the immaturity of your response just makes me roll my eyes. If you can't handle another person's OPINION, maybe you're the one who should go be taking your own backhanded advice.

I'm very confident in our program, and obviously I'm not the only one who had a problem with yours. The fact that you had to insult me to prove your point isn't making me look bad.

Last edited:
Saucy, you are more than welcome to have an opinion - in FACT, this forum is intended for individuals to ask questions and for others to provide their opinions in return. However, do not make statements which intend to be factual, when the FACTS are quite the contrary.

You stated, "You MUST do research and that's more of the focus, not your clinical education. I've also found their program less than par with what we're pushing the profession towards."

What makes you think that your clinical education at Montclair is not the focus? Have you attended the program yourself? Since you "found their program less than par," how long did you attend their program? Oh, that's right... you didn't.

On the clinical track, your clinical education IS the focus. In any program the breadth of your classroom studies and clinical experience are supported by research in the field. In FACT, at Montclair, you do not begin doing research until your 3rd year, once you have enough classroom and clinical experience under your belt.

I'm curious to know what kind of "problem" you had at Montclair since you didn't even attend. That statement sadly seems rather incongruous.

Students from Montclair do not go around bashing other programs and in my OPINION, I think it is a shame that the students/faculty/staff from Salus have nothing better to exhaust their time on.

Hope you have your FACTS and OPINIONS straight now.

Last edited:
Just found out that Montclair will now begin offering the AuD degree for the clinical track and the ScD for the research track, because of it requires an extra year just like a PhD designation. Current studies and the incoming class of Fall 2010 will be able to choose between either, and after that Fall 2011 onwards, students will get a degree based on their track. . . Exciting news :)

Fact: Hypocrisy is among us.

Last edited:
FACT: Bears eat beets.

Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.