"Lag Year"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrianNYC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what many postbaccs do during their 3rd year or "lag year." I feel like the linkage programs are the only way to avoid this lag year.

This is my main issue regarding which school to go to...
Summer '05 - orgo
August '05 - MCAT
... Hopefully Med school in Fall '06...

or

Fall & Spring '05-'06 - orgo
April '06 MCAT
... Med School in Fall' 07

... how "impossible" is it to do well in orgo over the summer, with all that information scrunched up into one summer?

If anyone has any recommendations, no matter how small, I'd appreciate your feedback.

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't take o. chem over the summer unless you are INCREDIBLY motivated. Good luck!

I've heard that some ad comms dislike students taking hard sciences over the summer (because they're accelerated, or aren't a full-semester length, or you're not demonstrating you can handle orgo with a full course load, or think summer versions easier, or whatever silly reason that may or may not be true). We all know that Orgo is orgo, but tell that to the ad comms.

Of course it depends on the school you're going to, the class/professor, and the med schools you're applying to, but it would probably be worth checking it out in advance just in case. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget that you will most likely have Orgo and the Orgo lab over the summer. I don't know about other schools but at Penn I am hearing that the Orgo lab is very tough.

Yellow Snow said:
Don't forget that you will most likely have Orgo and the Orgo lab over the summer. I don't know about other schools but at Penn I am hearing that the Orgo lab is very tough.

Overall, orgo is just plain difficult. If orgo is taken in the summer months, then you will most likely go to class and then afterwards, study for about 8 hours a day. Its summer, so everything is faster than usual. It's tough but not impossible to accomplish.

As far as adcom's, I think that if you do well, then it shoudnt matter and yes, it would depend on where you were to take your orgo class. Good Luck!

I took the Aug MCAT and Orgo 1 in June. It was tough but doable if you and Orgo get along ( I like the stuff). I gambled that I could learn the most important points of Orgo 2 for the MCAT. Don't underestimate your preparation for the MCAT. I knew I couldn't take Orgo 2 while preparing for the MCAT. I got very lucky and my MCAT form was very light on Orgo and I felt good about what I did see. Studying for the MCAT is very time consuming and its important.