Lacking Direction for Pre Med - Need MAJOR Help

Purdue was almost on my list. It is a great school. Its name came up several times in my frequent college searches. Rutgers is a really good school. On CollegeBoard, there is a college search engine where you can place requirements on what you expect if schools, and I ended up with Rutgers, University of Minnesota, and Yale.
Rutgers looks good in terms of med and research. According to my research, I could be mistaken.
It's a large school though...
But on Google Images, from what I see, I like the scenery. :) A possible choice for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Purdue was almost on my list. It is a great school. Its name came up several times in my frequent college searches. Rutgers is a really good school. On CollegeBoard, there is a college search engine where you can place requirements on what you expect if schools, and I ended up with Rutgers, University of Minnesota, and Yale.
Rutgers looks good in terms of med and research. According to my research, I could be mistaken.
It's a large school though...

Would large schools REALLY put you at a disadvantage? Which of the schools offered great research opportunities?

Large schools mean a possible larger student to professor ratio. And the way I learn is almost one to one. I like asking questions. I want to be able to get close to my teachers. Large means on my own. Being lost in a large classroom or even an auditorium. i dont like that. Small colleges are the way to go for me. Some large colleges have smaller student to professor ratio though.
Rutgers and Purdue are great research schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of research, the schools that came out of the search engine all are good in research.

Just look up College Board College Search and I think the first link is it.

Well. The college of my dreams is University of Pennsylvania. I like the campus...the student to professor ratio...the state (I wish to reside there someday)...and the fact it is well-rounded. That means if my doctor dream fails-hypothetically-the school is still good for other fields. I just like Pennsylvania. ;)

Well. The college of my dreams is University of Pennsylvania. I like the campus...the student to professor ratio...the state (I wish to reside there someday)...and the fact it is well-rounded. That means if my doctor dream fails-hypothetically-the school is still good for other fields. I just like Pennsylvania. ;)

Thats nice but arent you concerned that you may have a difficult time achieving a high GPA? I mean, I was interested in Johns Hopkins previously but now I am not so sure - I certainly wouldnt stand out in a university of brilliant people.

Thats nice but arent you concerned that you may have a difficult time achieving a high GPA? I mean, I was interested in Johns Hopkins previously but now I am not so sure - I certainly wouldnt stand out in a university of brilliant people.

My philosophy is if you don't aim high, where'd you go? ;p
never have worried about it. I should...
I mean, in terms of material, it ought to be the same. The professor, if I have any questions, should be willing to help. If I struggle, then that is life. I'll-we will all-struggle more in med school.

That goes against what I had thought regarding how it may not be the best idea to aim for top pre med schools. However, Rutgers jumps out at me...

Rutgers is my state school. I havent done much research on it, but could you let me know what you think? I also had Purdue and Fordham in mind...

Go to Purdue! We can be study buddies or whatever :highfive:

Go to Purdue! We can be study buddies or whatever :highfive:

BioBeaver,

What do you think of Purdue's research program? Does it offer a lot of opportunities? Is their Pre Med program in general good?

Members don't see this ad :)
BioBeaver,

What do you think of Purdue's research program? Does it offer a lot of opportunities? Is their Pre Med program in general good?

From what I've heard it's great! I'll be able to answer in depth after my visit and tour there Monday! :thumbup: But I live in the area and have seen Purdue's research park, it looks huge! And when I contacted Biology professors asking questions about the programs there, they all have extensive research projects going on that students were involved in.

From what I've heard it's great! I'll be able to answer in depth after my visit and tour there Monday! :thumbup: But I live in the area and have seen Purdue's research park, it looks huge! And when I contacted Biology professors asking questions about the programs there, they all have extensive research projects going on that students were involved in.

Cool sounds good, let me know how it is!

What are you planning to major in at Purdue?

Probably just boring Bio :cool: But with a concentration in Micro or Human Bio!

Do you know whether or not its required to take ecology, botany and zoology courses? Im sure it is with a major, but it seems time consuming...

Do you know whether or not its required to take ecology, botany and zoology courses? Im sure it is with a major, but it seems time consuming...

https://www.bio.purdue.edu/Academic/undergrad/degree.req.html

There's all the degree types you can get in Biology. From what I can tell of the Disease and Micro concentrations, none of those are required past what they probably cover in the intro classes. What are you looking to major in?

https://www.bio.purdue.edu/Academic/undergrad/degree.req.html

There's all the degree types you can get in Biology. From what I can tell of the Disease and Micro concentrations, none of those are required past what they probably cover in the intro classes. What are you looking to major in?

Looking at that lists, Neurobiology and Physiology looks very interesting. Plus I already have plenty of background knowledge of both of the subjects.

Looking at that lists, Neurobiology and Physiology looks very interesting. Plus I already have plenty of background knowledge of both of the subjects.

Sweet! Well the application opens up August 1, so maybe I'll see you there next year! I'll let you know how that visit goes.

Sweet! Well the application opens up August 1, so maybe I'll see you there next year! I'll let you know how that visit goes.

Dude, I should have told you this earlier, but I'm a sophomore in HS :D

But definitely let me know how that visit goes!

Are you going to be a junior next year or are you going to be a sophomore?

How was the visit?

Alright for everyone wondering about Purdue:

I visited there today, attended some classes and lunch, and took a tour of campus. It's an awesome place! The College of Science is pretty huge, specifically for Biology (concentrations in Micro, Disease, Education, and more). The facilities all looked really nice and research opportunities are everywhere. Almost every professor in every department I saw had some sort of research opportunity, and it all was great.

For people who like stuff besides academics, the dining halls are awesome. There are 4 main ones, and each has their own "specialty" of foods they make. The one I ate in was famous for amazing quesadillas that you build yourself. It's kind of a Golden Corral setup, where you can get as many plates as you want. There is a new rec center on campus that includes an indoor olympic sized pool, a rock climbing wall, a spa area, and normal weight equipment. There a also intramural sports for everything from Judo to Quidditch.

So yeah, Purdue :thumbup:

this is from what he said in the "Class of 2018:Where are you applying" thread.

But you'd be graduated by the time I graduate from high school...;p year of 2017 here. But it's nice to be open. Now I know what Indiana has for me lol.

Just reporting in on another college I visited last week:

Indiana University! Easily the most beautiful campus I've ever seen. All of the buildings are made of limestone, and it's basically a giant nature park with a college inside of it! There is a huge concert hall where popular bands play for the student body, there's a giant recreational center called "The Hyper" with weight rooms, rock walls, and over 20 basketball courts for intramurals. Academically, the science programs are really strong (they discovered the element Fluoride) and there are attached Med and Dental schools. Also, the campus goes in to downtown Bloomington, where there are the most restaurants in the country per square acre besides New York City! So if you like to party, IU.