Lack of education about racial issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scarletgirl777

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of times when people argue about all the unfair advantages that minorities have or complain about minorities' bad behavior, if you stay in a conversation long enough, it becomes clear that these people don't necessarily have the same understanding of historical and even current cultural context. I mean there are so many specific things about the way that our justice system, legal system, educational system whatever interacts with minorities that cause all kinds of disadvantages and social ills. I remember several months ago, I was trying to explain why people of a certain socioeconomic class might find it more difficult to stay healthy. Felt like I was smashing my head into a brick wall! Just recently someone dismissed the idea that our justice system could be treating minorities differently. It's just so frustrating because there are so many specific FACTS and theories around minority issues and race relations that help explain the racial dynamics of today, but when you're having a conversation with someone, it's really hard to impart that. And then I get frustrated because this person is going off into the world to do politics or medicine or whatever, and his life may very well intersect with minority populations, and potentially even subconsciously perpetuate vicious cycles. I want to be able to just brush it off, but sometimes it's hard...Guess I just needed to vent.

Members don't see this ad.

Word scarlettgirl777!

We have the media to thank most of the time and we tend to believe how we are portrayed in the mainstream media. It takes some thinking and digging but it's my experience that most members of minority groups are just like members of the majority groups in that we are not monolithic we just tend to be presented in a monolithic manner.

It's all good Scarlet, venting is certainly necessary. I spent a good portion of last year arguing on this site with people that didn't seem to "get it" and had to vent on a few occasions. Unfortunately, some people's sole intention is to perpetuate their anti-urm sentiment through their one-sided, misinformed and naive views. Some of the veteran members here had to let me know to just say what I had to say and keep it moving. It's very difficult to change people's beliefs or open their eyes if they've had 20+ years of prior brainwashing. And I completely agree with NJ that the media is often the source of their distorted realities, especially for those that have limited exposure to people of color. So say what you gotta say and keep it moving, and at the end of the day, make sure you excel to a position where you can make major changes and go out and do the damn thing. Congrats and good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of times when people argue about all the unfair advantages that minorities have or complain about minorities' bad behavior, if you stay in a conversation long enough, it becomes clear that these people don't necessarily have the same understanding of historical and even current cultural context. I mean there are so many specific things about the way that our justice system, legal system, educational system whatever interacts with minorities that cause all kinds of disadvantages and social ills. I remember several months ago, I was trying to explain why people of a certain socioeconomic class might find it more difficult to stay healthy. Felt like I was smashing my head into a brick wall! Just recently someone dismissed the idea that our justice system could be treating minorities differently. It's just so frustrating because there are so many specific FACTS and theories around minority issues and race relations that help explain the racial dynamics of today, but when you're having a conversation with someone, it's really hard to impart that. And then I get frustrated because this person is going off into the world to do politics or medicine or whatever, and his life may very well intersect with minority populations, and potentially even subconsciously perpetuate vicious cycles. I want to be able to just brush it off, but sometimes it's hard...Guess I just needed to vent.

I feel you scarlet and the bolded statement is what I personally find most troubling.

I remember in high school i came across a few of these people. One girl straight up told me she believed racism was a big lie and that blacks only said it was still around to get sympathy (this was around 2002 so no Obama even on the radar). :mad: It sounds odd now when i say it but its weird when you have someone in front of you who actually believes it to be true.

Thanks guys :D I will try to just make my points and move on. Resuming my emotional numbness...now.

Thanks guys :D I will try to just make my points and move on. Resuming my emotional numbness...now.

BOY do I know how you feel. I've even encountered this issue in class, during my interviews, and on SDN as well. I fear med school a tad for that reason. It's also frustrating for me because I feel as if I've been placed in the "educator" role. (i.e. -- so tell me what "black" people think...)

Imagine what it was like at the University of Michigan during the affirmative action debate. I heard crazy and unnecessary comments for sure. Yikes!

Like you, I'm also emotionally numb.

I completely understand what you're saying. I refer to it as "The Bubble". Some people live in this isolated area of existence within such a diverse world. They surround themselves with people of their same ethnicity/race or SES or same values. Now, there's nothing wrong with doing this, but it often comes with an inherent blindness concerning those who are different from you. It's extremely frustrating...

They act like everyone else is invisible.

Yes, this is part of the reality I have had to face growing up as a dark skinned black male. We live in a white world. As a double major in Bio and A studies, I have spent the last four years attempting to deconstruct racial dichotomies and socially constructed ideologies through academics and an endless amount of literary brouhaha. It didn't take long for me to realize that the true deconstruction was done outside of the classroom (unless you're someone like Cornell west or Bell Hooks of course ;)). After enough time, you realize that it isn't necessarily about tackling individualistic perverse views through oral confrontations. But about battling ignorance with competence, unfounded words with defined and rooted action and unexplainable hatred with relentless compassion. Examplery Actions will always speak louder than words.

Last edited:
I am a test prep instructor, and I frequent several different forums. The ignorance of ethnic issues is much more prominent on SDN than on the LSAT forums or GMAT forums. I was arguing with a guy last week on SDN (jdmd####) who told me that minority issues were BS; after all, he had to work two jobs to get through college, and that was real adversity.

I was amazed at jdmd's attitude. I teach MCAT classes about half a mile away from the US border with Juarez, Mexico. There is a drug cartel war going on down there, and over 250 people have been murdered in our sister city this year alone. Some of my students visit family in Mexico on the weekends. I wonder when was the last time jdmd had to worry about being caught in the crossfire of a drug war during a weekend trip to his folks' house. There have been thousands of women's bodies found in the desert around Juarez. I wonder when was the last time jdmd legitimately worried that his mother/sister/girlfriend would be kidnapped, raped, and murdered.

The fact that he thinks working during college is an example of overcoming adversity demonstrates what a sheltered, ignorant individual he truly is. I share the sentiments of the OP in this thread. It scares me that there are so few physicians from my community.

Last edited: