Lab coat monograms

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryan_eyeball

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering for a white lab coat, how should a monogram title read.

1) Dr. John Doe

or

2) John Doe, O.D.

Or does it really even matter?

Members don't see this ad.

Ryan_eyeball said:

1) Dr. John Doe

or

2) John Doe, O.D.

i've seen it like this = Dr. Jane Doe, O.D., i like this one the most because it has it all :love:

sorry i also love this little heart face thing, i use it whenever i can

iiiimonica said:
i've seen it like this = Dr. Jane Doe, O.D., i like this one the most because it has it all :love:

Not to be harsh, but that way is redundant...

"Doctor Jane Doe, Doctor of Optometry"

At the hospital, I only recall seeing the lab coats as "John Doe, MD" or "John Doe, DO", etc.

For that matter, none (of the 6 or so) Optometrists that I've gone to over the years have *EVER* worn the lab coats. I don't know how common it is for a "non-student" OD to regularly wear them...

Members don't see this ad :)
iiiimonica said:

That sounds like something you'd see chiropractor do...too much puffery.

Ryan_eyeball said:

1) Dr. John Doe

or

2) John Doe, O.D.

Look, I don't mean to come across as an ass, but isn't this an optometry forum? Why would you even need a monogram on a lab coat? For that matter, why would you even need a lab coat? I'm a psychiatrist and I rarely, very rarely, wear a white coat, unless I'm doing rounds at the hospital. Even then, I rarely do. Most doctors wear lab coats to keep nasty stuff from getting onto their clothes and protection in general, not to mention the pockets to store things like stethoscopes, etc. I can most MDs, vets, and dentists needing to wear white coats, but an optometrist? You guys don't do anything invasive to necessitate one.

A monogram usually denotes a hospital affiliation, but not always. I don't know, this thread just seems...puffed up to me. It's almost like by wearing the white coat, you're trying to say "see, we are real doctors!" A lot of MDs don't even don white coats anymore.

Anyway, it's typical for most practitioners to follow the format of:

NAME, DEGREE (John Doe, M.D.). Dr. John Doe is ambiguous and could be confusing outside your office. Only a chiropractor would put Dr. before the name. My lab coat, when I wear it, says my name followed by M.D. and then says Psychiatry underneath.

:eek:

ProZackMI said:
Look, I don't mean to come across as an ass, but isn't this an optometry forum? Why would you even need a monogram on a lab coat? For that matter, why would you even need a lab coat? I'm a psychiatrist and I rarely, very rarely, wear a white coat, unless I'm doing rounds at the hospital. Even then, I rarely do. Most doctors wear lab coats to keep nasty stuff from getting onto their clothes and protection in general, not to mention the pockets to store things like stethoscopes, etc. I can most MDs, vets, and dentists needing to wear white coats, but an optometrist? You guys don't do anything invasive to necessitate one.

A monogram usually denotes a hospital affiliation, but not always. I don't know, this thread just seems...puffed up to me. It's almost like by wearing the white coat, you're trying to say "see, we are real doctors!" A lot of MDs don't even don white coats anymore.

Anyway, it's typical for most practitioners to follow the format of:

NAME, DEGREE (John Doe, M.D.). Dr. John Doe is ambiguous and could be confusing outside your office. Only a chiropractor would put Dr. before the name. My lab coat, when I wear it, says my name followed by M.D. and then says Psychiatry underneath.

:eek:

Thank you! I could not agree more.

My understanding of the states I've worked in is that if you are going to, as an optometrist, use the prefix Dr. before your name you must specify optometrist afterward anyway. So it is either Jane Doe, OD or Dr. Jane Doe, Optometrist (underneath)

xmattODx said:
So it is either Jane Doe, OD or Dr. Jane Doe, Optometrist (underneath)

Sounds good to me :thumbup:

i have been an optician for 10 years working mostly in high end private od's and retail optometry and only 1 of the maybe ~15 docs i worked for did not wear a coat. i love the coat look - it just looks more professional to me. i have worked for od's that take their coats off when they see children, but that's about it!

i know some doctors dont wear them, i plan to! mainly because you can hide a really ugly blouse :love: j/k i just like how it looks - more professional.

as for the redundacy of dr. jane doe, od, with the confusion between od's and md's a little redunancy is not so bad. it did not look goofy, but i also think dr. jane doe with optotometrist underneath would look nice as well.

as for how coats are worn in hospitials - wouldn't you just look how every one else wears their coats and copy that?

Dr XY, O.D is redundant and grammaticaly incorrect. I know the board here in Florida even has laws on "proper" signage.

I never wear a white coat. Patients have even commented that it makes them more relaxed around me. They can see by the diplomas on the wall that I know what I'm talking about.

I, also worked in CA and not one of the docs I worked with wore a white coat. I only know of one who did.

The only reason I would see to wear one would be if I'm wearing something that has no pockets. But, my desk in the exam room has all the spots I need for occluders, toys for kids, etc.

iiiimonica said:
i have been an optician for 10 years working mostly in high end private od's and retail optometry and only 1 of the maybe ~15 docs i worked for did not wear a coat. i love the coat look - it just looks more professional to me. i have worked for od's that take their coats off when they see children, but that's about it!

i know some doctors dont wear them, i plan to! mainly because you can hide a really ugly blouse :love: j/k i just like how it looks - more professional.

as for the redundacy of dr. jane doe, od, with the confusion between od's and md's a little redunancy is not so bad. it did not look goofy, but i also think dr. jane doe with optotometrist underneath would look nice as well.

as for how coats are worn in hospitials - wouldn't you just look how every one else wears their coats and copy that?

I'm not an optometrist, and I'm trying to sound like I'm attacking optometrists, but I have never, ever, not once, been to an optometrist who wears a white coat. I'm 35 years old and have been wearing glasses/contacts since I was 12. Every single eye doctor I've been to over the years has been nicely dressed, but never worn a white coat. Now, ophthalmologists do wear them and they usually are monogrammed since they are often back-and-forth between their office and the hospital.

Many physicians don't even wear white coats any more. This is especially true in the private office setting. If they do, it's often when they are rounding at the hospital or performing a particularly icky procedure or something, or simply need the pockets for storage, etc. As a psychiatrist, I rarely wear a white coat for a wide range of reasons -- mostly because it's too warm in my office and because it has an inhibiting effect on my patients. I even stopped wearing a suit or tie/sport coat every day; it made me feel like a businessman or something.

Back to the OP and the question posed. Whether you choose to wear a white coat or not, a monogram may be overkill and unnecessary. Chances are, if your patients are there being seen by you, they know your name. I would bet your staff and co-workers know your name too. :oops: So, it begs the question, why would you need it? If you're working at the VA, or a speciality clinic, or in an ophthalmologist's office, I can see why you'd want to conform, so then it would be proper to have Your Name, O.D. and possibly "Optometrist" on your coat -- especially if you're in a hospital or ophthalmologist's office where patients might think you're an MD if your coat reads "Dr. X". Optometrists at hospitals are often employees and not medical staff, and even if they are "staff", there are rules in hospitals about appearance, so a white coat might be required, and if there is a monogram, it would most likely be MANDATED that you have your degree after your name with no reference to "Dr." This is true of PharmDs, dentists, and PhDs at the hospitals where I have privileges.

Of course, most patients don't read your coat anyway and have no clue. If you're in private practice, or a commercial setting, I don't know that I'd wear a white coat and be so bold to have it monogrammed. The way I see it, I'm 35, spent the better part of my life in a classroom, worked my ass off in school...the last thing I want now is a job where I have to wear a "nametag"!!!! :scared: Man, it's bad enough at the hospital with those funky photo ID badges with the magnetic striping in back for parking and access. I don't want my picture, name, and everything else displayed for all to see! :)

cpw said:
I never wear a white coat.

Did you have to wear one at school? I've noted a trend that schools are requiring their students to wear white coats in clinic. I didn't have to but two classes after me started the trend. I think its a push for a more prestigous image. I hate white coats!

wow, maybe it's a bay area thing? but all but 1 of ~15 (and i start work in 2 hours and both od's wear white coats) wore the white coat. mostly all the od's at retail chains and kaiser were white coats. i have a norman rockwell print and the od - is wearing a white coat!

i would look wierdly at an od that showed up only in a tie or business casual, it would seem to me like they were not dressed all the way. i guess it's what you are used to.

i can't wait for my white coat, and even though i agree with Zack about the monogram - i still plan to get the monogram!

white coat = more pockets!

xmattODx said:
Did you have to wear one at school? I've noted a trend that schools are requiring their students to wear white coats in clinic. I didn't have to but two classes after me started the trend. I think its a push for a more prestigous image. I hate white coats!

uc berkeley students have a really nice white coat ceremony before we start seeing patients (at the end of spring semester of 2nd year) and then we get to wear the 1/2 coat (which looks kinda goofy to me)

uhco also has a white coat, but i don't know if they have to wear their coats. and i think scco also has a white coat ceremony - but not 100% sure on that.

ps all the clinical faculty were the 3/4 white coat, monogramed with the school seal.

i :love: white coats!

white coats suck....they freak people (especially kids) in an office out....

granted, they DO look professional........... but Ill never wear one..

ICO makes it mandatory for students to wear a white coat......lets just say it was my LACK of wearing it that caused such an uproar which lead to the mandate.. :smuggrin:

We wear them here at IU too and we also had a white coat ceremony, which I thought was way overblown. The food was good, but they pretty much turned it into a graduation ceremony. Personally I hate wearing them. I think it's bad enough having to wear a tie everyday. As soon as I'm out, I'm losing the white coat for sure, the tie too if I can. I agree with one of my consultants who said the only reason we wear them is because we're insecure about not getting the respect that "real" doctors have.

xmattODx said:

I was forced to wear a long white coat every day in clinic at UHCO. (and even on vision screenings) The only time we were allowed to take them off was in Peds.

The formal white coat ceremony at UHCO with monogrammed white coats started with my class.