Lab animal residency insights?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vbcarrier4

NCSU C/O 2022
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have asked my advisor about this and he didn't have many specific answers for me, but I wanted to know if anyone has completed a lab animal residency and would recommend it/talk more about it? I am not picky about location and would like to work with a variety of animals, and I would say company culture is the most important factor to me (being treated with respect as a resident and working with people willing to teach/mentor me). My grades/class rank also are not very strong but I have not found a way of knowing which residencies screen initially for that (I don't want to waste my time applying if I will go automatically into a reject pile).
Any information/opinions are welcome, thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I have asked my advisor about this and he didn't have many specific answers for me, but I wanted to know if anyone has completed a lab animal residency and would recommend it/talk more about it? I am not picky about location and would like to work with a variety of animals, and I would say company culture is the most important factor to me (being treated with respect as a resident and working with people willing to teach/mentor me). My grades/class rank also are not very strong but I have not found a way of knowing which residencies screen initially for that (I don't want to waste my time applying if I will go automatically into a reject pile).
Any information/opinions are welcome, thank you in advance!
Just finished my residency and in general the best advice I can give you is if lab animal is really the field you want to jump into, the best way to do so is to get experience during vet school (or before). The more experience you get and connections you make in the field the easier it will be to overcome less than stellar grades. It will also give you insight into which programs will fit your needs and which may not be the best fit for you. Looking at the program descriptions on paper and then visiting places that seem promising for externships or as a summer ASLAP fellow and talking to the residents at the programs are your best bet. If you want I have visited a few places and can give you my impressions more specifically, just send me a PM and we can chat.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there. I haven't been back here in a really long time, but came back to answer a PM I got and peruse the forums. I finished my residency in 2016 and now I'm a DACLAM working as a clinical vet at a primate center. I can give you some thoughts about a few different programs, but would prefer to talk offline. Send me a PM if you want to chat.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there. I haven't been back here in a really long time, but came back to answer a PM I got and peruse the forums. I finished my residency in 2016 and now I'm a DACLAM working as a clinical vet at a primate center. I can give you some thoughts about a few different programs, but would prefer to talk offline. Send me a PM if you want to chat.
Oh! I might PM you and see if I can heckle you because I'm very interested in Wisconsin's LAM program!

Hey, I’m a current first year lab animal resident and currently loving it (I did go into vet school wanting to specialize in this field). I agree about trying to get as much experience as you can within the field. From my understanding, some programs do have cut offs for grades, but as long as that threshold is made they aren’t the most important part of your application. Most places put more weight on personal statements, CV, and letters of recommendation. Another aspect can help of research experience. Even if you cannot travel for an ASLAP summer research opportunity, look into the summer research opportunities for your vet school, since they can be beneficial as well. If you have any questions, please feel free to message me!

Reactions: 1 users