KSUCPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone have the match list for kent this year?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently finishing my junior year of undergrad at Ursuline College. My current GPA is 2.66. Way low, I know. Here's the thing, I started my undergrad 10 years ago and left school the second semester of my freshmen year without withdrawing from my courses. I received an F in three courses. It was really dumb!! I left school to work as a firefighter/paramedic for 10 years, which was a great experience. I decided I wanted to come back to school to go to pod school. I have done very well since coming back. However, I have not been able to move my GPA. I plan on taking the MCATs in August and applying for fall 15'. I am retaking the classes I failed this fall after the MCATs. That should significantly help my GPA. Is that too late? Does my GPA get evaluated from the time I apply for school or do they go off what it is when you take the MCATs? My uncle is a podiatrist (who is an Ohio Podiatry School of Medicine graduate) and I have a lot of shadowing hours in the office and OR. I am not worried about explaining my GPA in an interview. I am worried about getting auto-denied. Any thoughts? I grew up and live in the Cleveland area and Kent is also my first choice.

Hey guys! I have a couple questions:

1. What is involved in the White Coat Ceremony (not the actual ceremony itself)? I mean, do I have to order my coat for it or something or is it given to us??

2. Do I have to defer my undergraduate loans? I know a lot of pre-pharmacy people that are doing this, that's why I'm asking. I don't really understand.

3. When do financial aid packages usually arrive? I've already emailed Kathy Wright and I'm waiting on her response, but I'm just curious about the average time it arrives each year. (Note: I've been granted admissions pending my final transcripts for this year, if that information is necessary for answering this question.)

4. When do I register for classes? And are the classes SPECIFIC for each year/semester? Like, since I'm a 1st year I'm automatically going to be taking X classes (I already know the classes outlined for the term if this is the case)?

Just getting more curious. The starting dates are getting close! :D

Thanks for you help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I have a couple questions:

1. What is involved in the White Coat Ceremony (not the actual ceremony itself)? I mean, do I have to order my coat for it or something or is it given to us??

A white coat ceremony is a tradition where family and friends can attend and watch a school representative put a white coat on you and your classmates. You will also take the podiatric oath, etc. The school will contact you on the coat size soon and they will order it for you before the ceremony. So, to answer your question you do not need to buy it.

2. Do I have to defer my undergraduate loans? I know a lot of pre-pharmacy people that are doing this, that's why I'm asking. I don't really understand.

Yes, you have to defer your loans if they are currently in payment. Depending on the loans, some are automatically deferred when the school sends in the information that you are a full-time student and attending. However, I must warn you that it is your responsibility to make sure all your loans are deferred and not the school. The school will help you with the process, but cannot be accounted for the responsibility. Make sure to clear all loan problems before starting class or else it will be in the way of study later on. Huge headaches for many, as if school itself is not already a headache.
3. When do financial aid packages usually arrive? I've already emailed Kathy Wright and I'm waiting on her response, but I'm just curious about the average time it arrives each year. (Note: I've been granted admissions pending my final transcripts for this year, if that information is necessary for answering this question.)

It varies depending on the situation and can take between a few weeks to a month or more prior to start of class. Disbursements come later though. Depending on the status of required materials needed, financial aid packages are sent out when all things are completed and satisfied (i.e. accepted letter, deposits, FAFSA, consent forms, etc.). Keep in touch with Kathy if you have any questions to prevent any delays.
4. When do I register for classes? And are the classes SPECIFIC for each year/semester? Like, since I'm a 1st year I'm automatically going to be taking X classes (I already know the classes outlined for the term if this is the case)?

You are automatically registered for classes when you are accepted and will continue to be registered year by year. All classes are specific for each year (set in stone) and you cannot select them like in undergrad. No more hassle of registering.
Just getting more curious. The starting dates are getting close! :D

Thanks for you help!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all, just received my invite this week. My interview is on 5/12/14. Anyone else interviewing that day?

Hello to all the future pods,

I'm new to the forum and SDN in general, I have just been reading the different forums for updates and perspectives on Interviews and other informative insights. I had my interview on 4/25/14 and was just accepted to KSUCPM last night!:soexcited: I have just made my deposit and am pumped to say the absolute least. I loved everything about the school from the atmosphere to the faculty and students. I truly cant wait to be there in August. Anyways just wanted to see if someone would help me out to the link for the Facebook page for the class of 2018. Also if anyone has any questions about the interview process or whatever else I would be happy to help. Good luck to everyone and I am happy to be a part of the POD/ KSUCPM family.

Reactions: 1 user
We interviewed together @T13ones, obviously not sure who you are but I'm glad you made it in too. Ill be seeing everyone in the fall at KSUCPM.

Congrats!! My interview is a little over a week away and I am really excited about this school. Can you or anyone who has interviewed this year give me a heads up on what kind of questions were asked during the interview?

Hello to all the future pods,

I'm new to the forum and SDN in general, I have just been reading the different forums for updates and perspectives on Interviews and other informative insights. I had my interview on 4/25/14 and was just accepted to KSUCPM last night!:soexcited: I have just made my deposit and am pumped to say the absolute least. I loved everything about the school from the atmosphere to the faculty and students. I truly cant wait to be there in August. Anyways just wanted to see if someone would help me out to the link for the Facebook page for the class of 2018. Also if anyone has any questions about the interview process or whatever else I would be happy to help. Good luck to everyone and I am happy to be a part of the POD/ KSUCPM family.

Congrats!! My interview is a little over a week away and I am really excited about this school. Can you or anyone who has interviewed this year give me a heads up on what kind of questions were asked during the interview?

Easiest interview you'll ever have!

Reactions: 1 users
there ya go haha he said it best, couldn't agree more

Hey I'm new to the forum and just got accepted.

My main question is where is the best place to live as a first year student?

Any help is appreciated.

Hey I'm new to the forum and just got accepted.

My main question is where is the best place to live as a first year student?

Any help is appreciated.

First off, welcome and congratulations on your acceptance. Students live at a variety of places in Cleveland - Parma, Parma Heights, Garfield Heights, or Independence. Pretty much west or southwest of the school's location is where most live in. Most (perhaps over half) live and stay in Parma due to the lower cost of rent and the area has a lot to offer (shopping, restaurants, parks, etc.). It's a small town with decent people, very down to earth and friendly (perhaps older people). Avoid living in the area east of Cleveland or north of the school location. That side of town is known for a lot of crimes and houses are broken in more (houses look very bad in shape and the area looks unsafe). Just look up Slavic Village and you'll hear all sorts of things.

In Parma area, there's a lot of apartment complexes you can choose from. Here's a list of places that you can rent (Please note: the airport is located southwest of Cleveland and these apartments are closer to it than most):

1. The Regency Apartments - a lot of first year start here since they do not know where to start. Students get a discount here and the school recommends it.
2. Midtown Towers - I hear good and bad things, but it's what you make of it and everyone has different experiences. Probably the closest apartment to the school and a lot of students live here also.
3. Parma Woods or Westview Acres - these two apartments are close to each other and are close to shopping centers and freeway access.
4. Big Creek, Woodbury Commons, Kimberly Park, Elayne Apartments - these are all very close to each other and are located on Stumph Road, south of Snow Road. A lot of students also stay here and I hear good things also.

In summary, stay west, south, or southwest of the KSUCPM campus and you'll be more satisfied there. Don't go north or east of it. Independence is a nice area and a lot better looking than Parma, but it doesn't offer a lot of apartment complexes to rent, mostly housing. Remember to do your research on advantages and disadvantages, what type of utilities are paid, discounts, parking, rent terms, safety/security, etc. Also important are access to freeway, shopping, restaurants, and perhaps airport too (if you use it a lot for travel). Hope this helps and good luck.

First off, welcome and congratulations on your acceptance. Students live at a variety of places in Cleveland - Parma, Parma Heights, Garfield Heights, or Independence. Pretty much west or southwest of the school's location is where most live in. Most (perhaps over half) live and stay in Parma due to the lower cost of rent and the area has a lot to offer (shopping, restaurants, parks, etc.). It's a small town with decent people, very down to earth and friendly (perhaps older people). Avoid living in the area east of Cleveland or north of the school location. That side of town is known for a lot of crimes and houses are broken in more (houses look very bad in shape and the area looks unsafe). Just look up Slavic Village and you'll hear all sorts of things.

In Parma area, there's a lot of apartment complexes you can choose from. Here's a list of places that you can rent (Please note: the airport is located southwest of Cleveland and these apartments are closer to it than most):

1. The Regency Apartments - a lot of first year start here since they do not know where to start. Students get a discount here and the school recommends it.
2. Midtown Towers - I hear good and bad things, but it's what you make of it and everyone has different experiences. Probably the closest apartment to the school and a lot of students live here also.
3. Parma Woods or Westview Acres - these two apartments are close to each other and are close to shopping centers and freeway access.
4. Big Creek, Woodbury Commons, Kimberly Park, Elayne Apartments - these are all very close to each other and are located on Stumph Road, south of Snow Road. A lot of students also stay here and I hear good things also.

In summary, stay west, south, or southwest of the KSUCPM campus and you'll be more satisfied there. Don't go north or east of it. Independence is a nice area and a lot better looking than Parma, but it doesn't offer a lot of apartment complexes to rent, mostly housing. Remember to do your research on advantages and disadvantages, what type of utilities are paid, discounts, parking, rent terms, safety/security, etc. Also important are access to freeway, shopping, restaurants, and perhaps airport too (if you use it a lot for travel). Hope this helps and good luck.

I wouldn't go as far as to say everything north and east of school is not safe. There are some really nice areas in Tremont, Lakewood, Beachwood etc that are better than Regency or North Royalton. Often the rent is and actually cheaper, while offering a larger place. I think you have to know where to look. Parma and North Royalton are decent starting locations since everyone just defaults there, but I'm sure after you've explored the city a bit, you can find nicer areas that you would be inclined to look at.