Korean Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swy25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a first-year undergraduate student at an American university. I am on the pre-med track, and I hope to get into medical school. However, there is one problem. I am neither an American citizen nor a permanent resident. Therefore, my chances of being accepted into an American medical school are close to impossible.

As a way out, I am looking into Korean medical schools. I am a Korean citizen, and I can speak and write Korean well as well.

I have tried researching how to get into Korean medical schools, but I have been unable to what I need to do.

What do Korean medical schools look for in an applicant? Are extracurricular activities, volunteering, and research big factors, or are scores and grades the only things that matter?

Any advice or information about Korean medical schools application processes will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am a first-year undergraduate student at an American university. I am on the pre-med track, and I hope to get into medical school. However, there is one problem. I am neither an American citizen nor a permanent resident. Therefore, my chances of being accepted into an American medical school are close to impossible.

As a way out, I am looking into Korean medical schools. I am a Korean citizen, and I can speak and write Korean well as well.

I have tried researching how to get into Korean medical schools, but I have been unable to what I need to do.

What do Korean medical schools look for in an applicant? Are extracurricular activities, volunteering, and research big factors, or are scores and grades the only things that matter?

Any advice or information about Korean medical schools application processes will be appreciated.

Thank you.

I seriously doubt people on here have any clue about Korean medical schools.

Hello,

Thank you.

The international school forum has an asian school subforum. You may find what you are searching for there.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to http://www.korea-dpr.com/ North Korean medical school is best medical school in the world.

I seriously wouldn't doubt that it has a great medical program.

To become a doctor in North Korea you probably have to be a damn genius. The elites own all of those establishments and the elites have far more than your average millionaire in the US.

Hello,

Thank you.

From what I have heard, I think that Korean medical schools base their decisions on grades, entrance exam scores, and an interview only (and some places don't even have interviews). Extracurricular activites are not considered in the evaluation process. Also, like in some other countries, medical school is 6 years in Korea (which includes undergrad), although some programs are now switching to 4 years of medical school after 4 years of undergrad.

From what I have heard, I think that Korean medical schools base their decisions on grades, entrance exam scores, and an interview only (and some places don't even have interviews). Extracurricular activites are not considered in the evaluation process. Also, like in some other countries, medical school is 6 years in Korea (which includes undergrad), although some programs are now switching to 4 years of medical school after 4 years of undergrad.

Heard this as well, very similar to the medical education system in the other parts of Asia I'm familiar with (go into medical school straight out of high school). They place a lot of emphasis on grades and entrance exam scores. Volunteering and research are not as important for admissions. I've also heard that their interviews are a lot more technical (one question that a friend was asked was "explain the pros and cons of our healthcare system vs. the one in UK" :scared:).

To the OP: you should go over to the international forum though as someone else suggested, you'll likely find other people who are in the same boat as you (and who are much more knowledgeable than us). Also, while it is harder to get accepted as an international student, it's not impossible if your application is very competitive. Good luck regardless of which route you choose to take :).

Unless Korea is where you want to be don't count yourself out of the US market until you have tried. There are some schools that do take international students and you could try to gain US citizenship, Don't really know what it takes to do this but I know it can be done. Worst case try both or you could try to get in contact with some of the schools in Korea and ask them directly. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

I have a friend who's in a 4 year program after graduating from undergrad in America. I believe my friend had no volunteering or research at all and applied to Korean schools with the understanding that it's virtually impossible for an international student to be accepted without ridiculous numbers. The curriculum differs from school to school but basically most of them have 2 year-2 year programs. 3rd year is more similar to shadowing at their university hospitals. In the fourth year they are given a semester off to study for KMLE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try to get married in the US to someone with citizenship.
Doing undergrad in the US --> you should probably consider US Med school before Korean med school

It's a lucrative market, especially in hubs of immigrant populations, such as Miami, FL

Try to get married in the US to someone with citizenship.

It's a lucrative market, especially in hubs of immigrant populations, such as Miami, FL

How about you don't piss on the institution of marriage.

How about you don't piss on the institution of marriage.

He/she was only stating an option that thousands of people do. Don't be so touchy; it's an internet forum, people are going to say things that might make you rip your head off if you heard 'em in real life.

He/she was only stating an option that thousands of people do. Don't be so touchy; it's an internet forum, people are going to say things that might make you rip your head off if you heard 'em in real life.

What he is suggesting is a crime and needs to be called out. Just because we're on the internet does not mean we are absolved of guilt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, don't go to that link if you're actually in Korea.

Korea does a 4+4 model like the United States. It used to do a direct-entry 6 year program like the United Kingdom. But, if you think getting into the United States' medical schools is hard, then it won't be much better when you look into Korea's. Most of the schools have a single digit acceptance rate. But, attempt to try for United States' admissions first. The financial options are very few but more than the 1 option of full payment in Korea. Also, in the event that you want to practice in the United States, then a residency and practice here would grant you the ability to do so.

Many aspects of the application process are different compared to the United States. Admissions is more numbers-heavy yet extracurriculars are slowly starting to be weighed more than they used to be. There are only a few medical schools and the finances are normally front-ended; there's no great loan setup like America does. I think the experience here will be greatly appreciated, but I'm going to guess that you'll need to graduate from a school many Koreans know about (e.g. if not Ivy/Stanford/Berkeley, then Rutgers, Maryland, UChicago, etc.) Also, for research experience, an international peer-reviewed journal publication would give credibility to your application. I'm not sure if shadowing or medical volunteer service would help for South Korean medical school applications.

You'll have to search about the mandatory military service before becoming a medical student.

ya because it hasn't been pissed on already
sanctity of marriage has been held up by lovely people like kim kardashian and newt gingrich

Let me clarify. Let's not piss on it more

I am neither an American citizen nor a permanent resident. Therefore, my chances of being accepted into an American medical school are close to impossible.

As a non-citizen non-permanent resident who even attended undergrad outside the US, I can say this is not true. Check out the international applicant thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=832999); there are many students in your position who have gained admission to American medical schools.

According to http://www.korea-dpr.com/ North Korean medical school is best medical school in the world.

Yeah...

1275749947895.jpg

You're giving that a thumbs up? Really? Disgusting. Absolutely despicable.

I hope for your sake you don't get so worked up in real life. Marriage isn't that sanctimonious any more. And you've had it real good if my agreeing with kpcrew is one of the more despicable things you've seen. Seriously, good luck :luck:

I have actually visited a korean medical school before. Here is a picture that I took of their anatomy lab.

thsiwasthefi.jpg

I hope for your sake you don't get so worked up in real life. Marriage isn't that sanctimonious any more. And you've had it real good if my agreeing with kpcrew is one of the more despicable things you've seen. Seriously, good luck :luck:

I didn't say it was "The most despicable things I've seen"

I just said what you're saying is despicable. You better remember the garbage you are spewing when you get married and your spouse bangs the football team because this society has told her (and you) that marriage is not "sanctimonious any more"

Did you find out any info?

Hello,

Thank you.

반갑습니다

Is the only reason you're looking for Korean med school that you think it's easy?
bad idea...

anyway, here's Korean pre-med forum
http://www.medwide.net/