Knuckle Cracking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UGAChemDawg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any evidence that cracking your knuckles regularly leads to arthritis or other hand problems later in life?

Members don't see this ad.

UGAChemDawg said:
Is there any evidence that cracking your knuckles regularly leads to arthritis or other hand problems later in life?

No there is not sound evidence that it leads to arthritis...but there is research that says it weakens grip strength.

The sound comes from the pressure changes as synovial fluid is "pushed" from one chamber to another. No hard evidence of arthritic changes, ..but thats interesting about the decline in strength..hmmm?

Members don't see this ad :)
stretch210 said:
No there is not sound evidence that it leads to arthritis...but there is research that says it weakens grip strength.

That is crazy since my left hand pops everytime I make a fist...nice little party trick and it is also my strongest hand when doing deadlifts and griptraining...but maybe I was ment to be a lefty and just refused to be.lol

MossPoh said:
That is crazy since my left hand pops everytime I make a fist...nice little party trick and it is also my strongest hand when doing deadlifts and griptraining...but maybe I was ment to be a lefty and just refused to be.lol
Somehow it feels to me like cracking created by more internal pressures like muscles doesn't have the same effect as cracking using the other hand. I used to crack my knuckles a lot. Now that I've stopped, my grip is definitely stronger.

I watched an episode of Dr. Know on the Discovery Health Channel and this question was asked. They said it actually prevents arthritis and the rumor started b/c people found the noise irritating.

Nutmeg1621 said:
I watched an episode of Dr. Know on the Discovery Health Channel and this question was asked. They said it actually prevents arthritis and the rumor started b/c people found the noise irritating.

i saw that too.

sweet......and people are very annoyed by the noise. I pop my left hand while walking a lot...without even realizing it. Dr. Know..is somewhat interesting if he didn't act like such a dork...

Is there any evidence to suggest that NOT cracking knuckles increases grip strength or is this all conjecture? And now cracking knuckles actually prevents arthritis? How? Dr Know, even though it is an entertaining TV show, isn't exactly a good source on med topics.

You're non-dominant hand/side of the body is usually slightly stronger than your dominant side, which is more adept at fine motor skills. You can probably notice this when doing any type of upper body weightlifting using dumbells.