Kind of recommendation letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mountainguy

Reaction score
Hi, All -

Quick question... Thinking about individuals to whom I could ask for a recommendation for med school but was curious about more advantageous qualities. How much does the status of the person play a role? I spend a summer under a person who is chair of his department at a great medical school - has some name recognition. He would write a solid letter - we published a paper together. There are other people who know me better and could write maybe a more personal letter, but I dont know how to weigh the two. I know in general you want someone who can really write a fantastic personal letter, etc., on and on, but beyond that like each letter is from a different aspect of your life (youth pastor, research, teacher) or take the best where you get. Any specific advice would be great!!!!

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

If your school has a committee letter, use it. Gather the letters the committee require and you’ll be fine.
If your school doesn’t have a committee letter then look closely at specific med schools and see what they require. Usually it’s 2 letters from science professors who have taught you and a letter from a non-science professor who has taught you. Other than that you can add letters that you feel will be beneficial to your application. The main thing with all letters is asking people who will commit to writing you a STRONG letter of recommendation for admittance to medical school. Most schools don’t require a letter from a physician and don’t go overboard on sending lots of letters.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you published with someone and you are listing that publication on the application (you would be crazy not to) and you did research with this person and they were the PI of the lab, you should have a letter from them. Not to have such a letter can raise eyebrows at research-centric schools.