Kidney disease/stones in hedgehogs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tygris

Michigan CVM c/o 2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I've noticed in the past few weeks that my ~4 year old hedgehog (yes I know she's getting old) has a particularly strong odor coming from her urine. She's never had odor issues before now, and it is a very strong smell of ammonia. Her diet hasn't changed, neither has her "housing" situation... she has been quite a bit more active on her wheel in the past couple of months, but I don't think that would cause higher ammonia output. She seems otherwise healthy, no signs of distress, no quills falling out, discoloration, lethargy, or changes in appetite etc...
I'm concerned about kidney diseases or stones. I've done a bit of research and some sources say kidney and urinary tract diseases are quite common in hedgehogs as they age. Anyone heard anything about this? Or can anyone tell me other reasons why she may be excreting more ammonia?
She doesn't SEEM to be in any pain or discomfort, but I guess I can't really know with a hedgehog. She's extremely shy around anyone who is not, well, ME... and will ball up defensively upon examination from a vet... I don't want to have to sedate her in order to have her examined in case the sedation has... seriously... negative effects on the poor old girl :( So any remedies I may be able to try before it gets to that point would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

(1) I did not know they had any inclination to run on wheels...learn something new everyday...

(2) I might consider calling or consulting your local zoo...hedgehogs seem to be common outreach animals and zoos, if anyone is, are likely to keep them around until old age. They might be able to give you some feedback of what you're dealing with or someone they'd recommend if they don't.

Sorry I don't have much else to offer. Good luck with her.

Tygris,

I suggest you become a VIN member, if not one already, and ask the small exotic mammal consultants your questions.

VIN is free for vet students and it truly is a great deal. I'm hooked on VIN. http://www.vin.com -> If you click on vet student or similar, you'll get to register for free.

Members don't see this ad :)
birdvet2006 said:
Tygris,

I suggest you become a VIN member, if not one already, and ask the small exotic mammal consultants your questions.

VIN is free for vet students and it truly is a great deal. I'm hooked on VIN. http://www.vin.com -> If you click on vet student or similar, you'll get to register for free.

I totally forgot about that...You need to have your offical vet school email addy to them within a month of registering or they cancel it (I'm sure you can get it back though)...just fyi

HorseyVet said:
(1) I did not know they had any inclination to run on wheels...learn something new everyday...

(2) I might consider calling or consulting your local zoo...hedgehogs seem to be common outreach animals and zoos, if anyone is, are likely to keep them around until old age. They might be able to give you some feedback of what you're dealing with or someone they'd recommend if they don't.

Sorry I don't have much else to offer. Good luck with her.

Well actually I work at the Zoo here... and we don't have any hedgehogs :) But I planned on asking the several veterinarians there about it today just in case they had any input regardless.

birdvet2006 said:
Tygris,

Thank you so much for this suggestion, I'll have to try that later today. Hopefully by then I'll have found some answers from my Zoo vets :)