Kente Stole

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docdoc121

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed that most, if not all, of the minority students at my college graduation wore a particular kind of stole. I did a little bit of research and found out that its called a Kente stole. However, I was wondering if any you knew the history and purpose of the stole? Also, do students buy the stole individually or is it given by the Office of Minority Student Affairs?

I was confused as to the history, purpose, and distribution of the stole because I noticed from my friend's 2010 NYCOM graduation, that just about everyone wore the same Kente stole, including non-minority professors and students.

Can anyone tell me more about the Kente stole? The stoles look something like this... http://kente.midwesttradegroup.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=AF6

Members don't see this ad.

I know ours is from BSU (black student union) or African student Union, and you can order it through them too. When I got my robe, I also saw it there online. I think you can order it with the rest your graduation stuff, each school may be different. Not quite sure what the history of it is. Interesting question, would be interested to hear responses.

Kente cloth is supposed to represent Africa. In a sense, by wearing it, you are showing African pride...basically showing pride in your heritage. I believe it originated in Ghana, but don't quote me on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on school. At my school there was a separate ceremony for students of color (and for anyone who identified with that community) and the stoles were presented there and then worn during other graduation ceremonies.

To be quite honest, I just wore mine because everyone else did...not for any deeper meaning. It was a tradition at my school that I followed.

No idea why anyone would wear one that wasn't a minority and didn't feel connected to a minority community...not a clue. Maybe to show support?

the stoles the faculty are wearing don't look like traditional kente stoles. perhaps it has something to do with the school history. maybe those colors are somehow symbolic to the school. not really sure.

There is a seperate ceremony at my old school..

I think it depends on school. At my school there was a separate ceremony for students of color (and for anyone who identified with that community) and the stoles were presented there and then worn during other graduation ceremonies.

To be quite honest, I just wore mine because everyone else did...not for any deeper meaning. It was a tradition at my school that I followed.

No idea why anyone would wear one that wasn't a minority and didn't feel connected to a minority community...not a clue. Maybe to show support?

:nod:

+1

the stoles the faculty are wearing don't look like traditional kente stoles. perhaps it has something to do with the school history. maybe those colors are somehow symbolic to the school. not really sure.
Not sure if this is the case, but some schools have faculty wear their own graduation robes and stoles when participating in the institution's, so it could be from their own education's honors and traditions that they wear them.
i.e. at my undergrad ceremony all the profs participating wore their doctoral/master's robes and sashes so they all had different colors.

Wasn't aware of the Kente Stole before reading this post. Thanks for sharing it.

We had a separate ceremony as well. We were presented with the stoles there and then wore them to the big commencement as a symbol of unity and pride in our heritage.