Keeping fit while in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bravotwozero

Chronically ambitious
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm sure medschool is demanding and takes up a lot of your time, but do any of you guys still find time to exercise consistently?

Members don't see this ad.

You can definitely fit it in, especially if the gym is right near where your classes are. And it's a good stress reliever. :)

I think you will see a definite general increase in weight and decrease in overall health of your classmates as med school kicks into gear. It's crucial to exercise daily if possible and try to eat as healthy as you can. I didnt go to class during the first 2 years so I could always squeeze in an hour or two of exercise daily. You may want to consider this. Of course it also helps you focus better on class work. 3rd year is when it really gets tough to maintain a decent workout schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
We get out of class at 1, and I always make a point (at least as much as possible) to immediately go to the gym afterwards, then shower/eat/study. It's a nice break in your day, and it keeps you on a good schedule.

But, do a search - this topic has been discussed before. A lot.

spend 1.25 minutes every hour and do 40 pushups in your room.
do it for 4 consecutive hours, and you've got 160 done per day, for a total of 5 minutes per day.

i've got triceps and chest like i've never had before.

There is time in med school to lift. I have been working out for years now and would not give it up for medicine (though if I do make surg, we'll see if I have to).

I don't know if you are in for bulking, but if you are, here is what I did:
I did have time to go to the gym 5-6X a week, 1.5-2hrs (sometimes longer if I ate in between). During exams, I did not go, but this was bc I don't like to lift while stressed...I feel like I might slip up or something. Eating is the hard part, but you can buy protein bars for a good price (~$1.50 per bar of myoplex storm, no one eats these bc they are high in calories so they are on clearance). Tuna takes a minute to eat out of the can. Basically, if you are dedicated, you will have time.

Results: I am short (5'6") so bear that in mind (they say add 10lbs/"). Before school, I was in around 195 lbs, but went down to about 185-187 in school. Couldn't do much about this, but it was because my leg workouts took a hit. My bench went up significantly in school to 365 (from 335 pre med school). In short, there is time, and if I can do it, you can. It takes dedication and discipline. You would be surprised by how much more intensity you have when you work out...all that steam has to be vented somewhere.

Seeing hot guys at the gym is a great motivator to work out ;)

Aero047 said:
Seeing hot guys at the gym is a great motivator to work out ;)
Likewise for the opposite.

You definitely have time to hit the gym. Even if you're a neurotic studying you should have plenty of time to go for an hour a day, and you SHOULD go if only to stay sane and take a break from the books. I'd say I'm pretty hardcore with the studying but I have plenty of time to play tennis, run, lift.

I didn't work out at all for the first couple of months and was in dire need of working out. So, I brought out my road bike and trainer and road during TV time which was great exercise. Now, I have retaken up my martial arts training and go 3-4 times a week. Without the stress release I go crazy!!!!!

I've had periods when I was too tired to work out. Doubly pathetic because my gym is in the basement of my house. But yes, possible, and yes, you should. If nothing else, because you must serve as a paragon for your patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
basupran said:
Results: I am short (5'6") so bear that in mind (they say add 10lbs/"). Before school, I was in around 195 lbs, but went down to about 185-187 in school. Couldn't do much about this, but it was because my leg workouts took a hit. My bench went up significantly in school to 365 (from 335 pre med school). In short, there is time, and if I can do it, you can. It takes dedication and discipline. You would be surprised by how much more intensity you have when you work out...all that steam has to be vented somewhere.

but are you built like an ape?

You definetly have time to work out if you make it a priority. I've lost 25 lbs this year, and I feel better than most of my classmates. Doing things that don't involve studying will make you a happier person and will help you focus when you need to focus. My dog, my gym, and my cooking experiments keep me sane while in school.

Sweet Tea said:
You definetly have time to work out if you make it a priority. I've lost 25 lbs this year, and I feel better than most of my classmates. Doing things that don't involve studying will make you a happier person and will help you focus when you need to focus. My dog, my gym, and my cooking experiments keep me sane while in school.

So true. I've lost 37 lbs my first year, and I've got another 20-30 to work off this summer/second year. It's nice to have time away from studying while still doing something productive, so there's no guilt. Besides, you can work out while watching TV, reading a magazine, or even reading school stuff (which I wouldn't recommend, but whatever).

I'm in the gym 90 minutes a day 6 days a week. Even with boards comming i still keep this schedule, cause my gym time is my brake from studying. I also listen to goljan path lectures and webprep lectures while workin out, so i don't fell so guilty about being in the gym so much.

Long_Dong, you're a Bruin, right? Do med students generally find time to make it to Wooden? I'd hate to give that up next year.

It is very important to me. even more so since I bucked my patellar tendon and possibly meniscus (let's wait for the MRI) this winter when I was walking out of the arena, and slipped on ice...ironic.

The sports med doc told me not to do anything basically, no bike, bball, soccer...sucks big time. So what is left is upperbody work out.

I try to go 3X/week, since I am not insane and I want to have some kind of life, but it is a good way to let stress out.

noncestvrai

UCLAstudent said:
Long_Dong, you're a Bruin, right? Do med students generally find time to make it to Wooden? I'd hate to give that up next year.
Go bruins.
Yes med student have time to work out. I normally go to wooden around 10 pm and there are always about 3-4 other members of my class there, about 2-4 3rd and 4th years in there (they are the ones showing off in scrubs trying to impress undergrads) and about 3-4 members of the class below there at that time. With the new curriculum you'll have plenty of time. During my first year I worked out all the time, went clubbing every thurs-sat, and came to pbl hung over on friday mornings. During second year I had less free time cause I was trying to study for boards at the same time I was studying for class. If you have any question about school let me know, I'll be more then happy to help.

There is time during third year as well :)

With the exception of some parts of surgery and some portions of OBGYN, Ive managed to go to the gym about 4 times a week 1.5hrs per time. Diet is much more difficult to control during third year, as the free food is always there (And I always take it) and usually its pizza ;)

and ive never gone in scrubs ;) However... if it ever came down to "Either I go in scrubs or I dont have time to go' Id go in scrubs.

YouDontKnowJack said:

You be the judge. I have a picture of me below (sorry, the only pics I have are nudes......I am not wearing anything so NWS). Pic below of me sitting on a rock and some foliage. In this picture, I am rocking 23" arms weighing in at well over 400 lbs.
Scroll down

big%20gunns%20gorilla%200020.jpg

250px-Male_silverback_Gorilla.JPG

Sweet Tea said:
I think I'm in love...:love: :love: :love:

Yeah, you are not alone. You may join my harem. Oh,the joys of being a silverback/alpha male.
alpha%20gorilla.jpg

LOL, I am turning this thread on fitness into a thread on gorillas. My humblest apologies to the OP. :)

Long Dong said:
Go bruins.
Yes med student have time to work out. I normally go to wooden around 10 pm and there are always about 3-4 other members of my class there, about 2-4 3rd and 4th years in there (they are the ones showing off in scrubs trying to impress undergrads) and about 3-4 members of the class below there at that time. With the new curriculum you'll have plenty of time. During my first year I worked out all the time, went clubbing every thurs-sat, and came to pbl hung over on friday mornings. During second year I had less free time cause I was trying to study for boards at the same time I was studying for class. If you have any question about school let me know, I'll be more then happy to help.

Thank you so much for your help! :)

Medical School is more demanding than Undergrad, granted. But it's NOT THAT HARD. My friends who have real jobs who work 40+ hours a week are busier than I am. Don't let all those people in med school scare you that "it's so hard" and you have to "study 24 h/d." It's just not true.

You remember when you were in elementary school and the teachers were like "when you get to middle school, it's no more fun and games" And then you got to middle school, and it wasn't that hard to adjust? it's the same sorta thing

good luck

davidthegnome said:
so your saying we DON'T get a recess?

no. there's 15 minute recess every hour.
you can go to the playground and play dodgeball with the fat kids.

kreno said:
Medical School is more demanding than Undergrad, granted. But it's NOT THAT HARD. My friends who have real jobs who work 40+ hours a week are busier than I am. Don't let all those people in med school scare you that "it's so hard" and you have to "study 24 h/d." It's just not true.

You remember when you were in elementary school and the teachers were like "when you get to middle school, it's no more fun and games" And then you got to middle school, and it wasn't that hard to adjust? it's the same sorta thing

good luck

For those of you that went from working full-time to med school, was the time management that big of an adjustment? I can see it being a bit tough going from undergrad to med school, but it doesn't seem that different from a full time job + studying for the MCAT.

Keeping fit in medschool is both essential and possible. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

If you're a neurotic studier like myself, just do what I do and bring your books to the gym and read on the treadmill. I look like a friggin jackass with my bag, giant books, and my stumbling off the treadmill everytime I go to change the page or switch a book.

Bro, no need for dumbells right?

noncestvrai

JudoKing01 said:
If you're a neurotic studier like myself, just do what I do and bring your books to the gym and read on the treadmill. I look like a friggin jackass with my bag, giant books, and my stumbling off the treadmill everytime I go to change the page or switch a book.

That would defeat the point of working out for me. I use working out to clear my head and foget about stressful stuff like class or boys or whatever :p

JudoKing01 said:

For cardio, it is all about intensity. If you can still read, you are unfortunately probably not working out efficiently. You are actually better off running at full tilt for 20-30 mins and then spending the remainder of the time in the library, then doing your "stumbling" with your books for the hour or so you probably do...

YouDontKnowJack said:
LOLLLL

i cant imagine someone that height weighing more than 180lbs-200lbs either