KCUMB Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think they usually are pretty good about 2 week-ish turn around time. I interviewed on 3/7 and my letter was postmarked 3/20, if that helps at all. Hope you guys get the good news soon.

I just got my acceptance letter! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :cool:

Twist25, I sent you a PM, please respond!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pulling for you NJ residents to get accepted as well! I don't want to be the only one from jersey fighting against the jersey-shore-bias :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm anxiously waiting on some waitlist movement! Anyone else?

Is there some sort of waitlist rank? Do they tell you where you stand?

I'm anxiously waiting on some waitlist movement! Anyone else?

Is there some sort of waitlist rank? Do they tell you where you stand?

I'm not too certain of those details, however I would guess after the deadline for the last batch of interviewees to send in their deposits. How did you feel as though your interview went? I'm really hoping I get an acceptance and should hear any day now.

gah!

anyone else waiting from the 3/14 group?

haha I just realized we interviewed on Pi day.

gah!

anyone else waiting from the 3/14 group?

haha I just realized we interviewed on Pi day.
I interviewed that day as well. 2 weeks. I guess starting tomorrow I have to have my parents check the mail at home every day.

At this point just want to know, even if it is a no.

Good luck guys, you will know in the next day or two, hope you join us this fall:xf:

Nothing from here in the mail today. The anticipation is absurd. I really would be one of the many accepted. Does anyone happen to know how many interview dates there had been or total number interviewed?

Nothing from here in the mail today. The anticipation is absurd. I really would be one of the many accepted. Does anyone happen to know how many interview dates there had been or total number interviewed?

I think we were the last interview date so I feel as though the seats open will be dependent on how many people from previous rounds put down their deposit.

I'll post back later tonight to see if I got anything in the mail. Maybe since Ohio is closer than NJ it might have an effect on mail delivery time.

EDIT: Nothing in the mail today for me either.

Last edited:
anyone know what a good reason would be to ask the admissions committee if they can defer your acceptance for the following year? ... I am thinking about this since I kind of want to take another shot at MCAT and shoot for my state MD school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted last month, and my deposit was to be due by March 30th. I suspect they are waiting to see how many they get, and depending on that they will be offering the next round of acceptances. I am happy (kind of ) to tell you guys that I will be withdrawing my acceptance and not paying the deposit, so there will be at least a spot open.

Has anyone from the 3/14 interview heard yet? I'm anxiously waiting for the mail to be delivered. I also would like to express my opinions on certain matters. I do understand that there are people that applied to DO schools as a back-up plan, however there are those of us out there that only wish to be DO's. If you have an acceptance here or to any other osteopathic program and are having second thoughts, just defer a year or withdraw your application and apply next year. I would think that anyone in this situation would feel a sense of regret they did not go for an MD. It is a lifetime that you will be a DO, so let those of us that really want those spots have them. There should be an appreciation for the philosophy that would be tarnished if some use it as a second choice way to become a physician. That said, best of luck to everyone who has applied.

Congratulations to you recently accepted applicants!

NJMedstudent83 is awesome. Please elect him/her as your class president. That is all.

NJMedstudent83 is awesome. Please elect him/her as your class president. That is all.

Wow, I'm humbled by this. I do appreciate it, and I'm sure there will be lots of highly competent students there as well. Also, if I have a shot, I first need to dispel any and all myths about New Jersey. We've gotten a bad rap no thanks to television media (none of which I condone).

anyone know what a good reason would be to ask the admissions committee if they can defer your acceptance for the following year? ... I am thinking about this since I kind of want to take another shot at MCAT and shoot for my state MD school.

I think most deferrments are offered because of a compelling reason such as an amazing opportunity for work, research, travel ,etc that could be argued would make you a more well rounded physician down the line. I don't think deferring to retake is an option. Aren't you the guy considering going to SGU over KCUMB? If you feel that strongly about becoming an MD then you should probably do it and not "settle" for DO.

Wow, I'm humbled by this. I do appreciate it, and I'm sure there will be lots of highly competent students there as well. Also, if I have a shot, I first need to dispel any and all myths about New Jersey. We've gotten a bad rap no thanks to television media (none of which I condone).

Congrats NJMed, good to know there will be some other East Coasters in the class....I'm from CT.

Congrats NJMed, good to know there will be some other East Coasters in the class....I'm from CT.
Thanks! I would imagine there should be a good handful of us from the east coast. I look forward to meeting you come this summer. Hopefully I'll be living at CT and am trying to move in mid-July, so it would be great to all meet up sooner than later.

Last edited:
dont get me wrong, i was all for the DO and still do love its philosophy but then i saw this -- http://www.do-online.org/TheDO/?p=82991 and this made me question my choice of DO when i could just work on my mcat a lil bit and have the possibility of landing in a MD school

Yeah, that is the one he is talking about.

You have to realize that the article is talking about a proposal that will in reality not come to fruition...due to the AOA negotiations with the AMA/ACGME....and even if that passed it wouldn't affect DO students that go into allo residencies....but all of that aside, I think my grandfather (M.D. Trauma surgeon) said it best: "There are awful M.D.'s and awful D.O.'s...work harder than everyone and be the best and you won't have to worry about it"...the amount of effort and hard work you put into your education will determine your opportunities...period.

I just recently got accepted to my top choice school!!! KCUMB!!! :)
quick question: what is the dress code for the OMM lab here? I know different schools have different dress codes? Will have to start working out soon i guess haha

The dress code is either matching scrubs or professional attire (guys: slacks and button down with tie...girls: whatever is professional looking for you haha)

I just recently got accepted to my top choice school!!! KCUMB!!! :)
quick question: what is the dress code for the OMM lab here? I know different schools have different dress codes? Will have to start working out soon i guess haha

The OMM lab dress code is shorts and sports bras for girls and shorts for guys. They asked me pointedly in my interview if I'd be comfortable being dressed like that.

well wouldya look at that..

ACCEPTED!!!!!! This feels freaking amazing. I never thought during MCAT studying that one day, I too would be on the other side of the fence.

Congrats to all of you who made it, and to those who did not, it happened for a reason. Always does.

ps. I was terrified when I saw the letter. It looked like a rejection letter cause of how small and thin it is. They're sneaky, those ad-coms are, sneaky sneaky.

pps. i have to take genetics and biochem. bahahah I thought I'd escape my undergrad and masters without it, but they caught me.

any tips on that? if anyone's done this before or also have to do it? there goes my summer..

well wouldya look at that..

ACCEPTED!!!!!! This feels freaking amazing. I never thought during MCAT studying that one day, I too would be on the other side of the fence.

Congrats to all of you who made it, and to those who did not, it happened for a reason. Always does.

ps. I was terrified when I saw the letter. It looked like a rejection letter cause of how small and thin it is. They're sneaky, those ad-coms are, sneaky sneaky.

Congratulations!! A very similar thing happened to me when I first saw the envelope. It seems rather cruel they would scare us that way. When did you interview? It'll be great to see everyone in the class in another few months.

pps. i have to take genetics and biochem. bahahah I thought I'd escape my undergrad and masters without it, but they caught me.

any tips on that? if anyone's done this before or also have to do it? there goes my summer..

I have to take biochem. My school offers a 6 week course luckily. And I interviewed the same day as well. Where in the country are you from?

The OMM lab dress code is shorts and sports bras for girls and shorts for guys. They asked me pointedly in my interview if I'd be comfortable being dressed like that.

not to be obtuse or anything, but you mean sports bra under a shirt right? I know that sounds obvious but I just want to make sure...

Umm, also...do we really have to (I mean really really have to) wear shorts? Not every patient we deal with will be wearing shorts, and (yes I'm weird like this) but I don't feel comfortable palpating a student of opposite gender around my age wearing shorts...I know its necessary in any situation requiring medical attention of course, but I don't think it's necessary in OMM lab...but that's just my opinion I guess

Last edited:
Yep, under the shirt, it is in the dress code section of the website. :)

"To allow
maximal exposure of the back, female students should wear a sports bra or
bathing suit top under a loose fitting shirt.All students should keep their shirts
on unless being directly palpated."
Quote from college catalog.

http://www.kcumb.edu/students/College_catalog.pdf

Ah I see. I was asked during my interview if I would be comfortable wearing nothing but a sports bra and shorts in front of my class because that's what I would be wearing during OMM. I kind of assumed that meant the whole time.

Ah I see. I was asked during my interview if I would be comfortable wearing nothing but a sports bra and shorts in front of my class because that's what I would be wearing during OMM. I kind of assumed that meant the whole time.

"To allow
bathing suit top under a loose fitting shirt.All students should keep their shirts
on unless being directly palpated."
Quote from college catalog.

http://www.kcumb.edu/students/College_catalog.pdf

Thanks for the info...

Here's the full section in case anyone else is interested (and too lazy to search the catalog :))...

"Proper dress attire is an important aspect of manipulation training in the
laboratory setting. The development of palpatory skills needed to diagnose and
treat problems of the musculoskeletal system requires dress attire to maximize
the ability to evaluate tissue texture changes, bony and soft tissue landmarks,
tenderness and range of motion. All students should wear loose fitting shirts and
short pants/scrubs/sweats/bathing suits (no spandex) to the laboratory to allow
easy access for palpation of body parts as determined by particular subject area of
each lab (for example, if the cervical spine is being examined, then regular street
clothes which allow complete access to the cervical area may be worn). To allow
bathing suit top under a loose fitting shirt. All students should keep their shirts
on unless being directly palpated. Improper attire includes items that might
impede palpatory and visual learning, including, but not limited to: denim, cutoffs, jewelry and belts. To help keep the tables clean and prevent tearing of the
covers, it is especially important that shoes not be worn while on the tables.
Scrubs may be worn in the lab with the caveats above. All scrubs should be in
good repair and clean." KCUMB 2011-2012 University Catalog

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted!

I'm selling my PanOptic/Ophthalmoscope/Otoscope set. Great condition, only used it during class first two years and Score 1. $550.

PM me if interested.

Hardly any action on this forum anymore. As a waitlister, I'm still constantly checking this site (pathetic, i know...)

Any other waitlisters getting anxious for May 15? Any waitlisters talk to admissions recently about info pertaining to the waitlist/movement? Is there a "rank"?

Feel free to comment! :D