KCU vs Western COMP-NW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blazinpancreas21

Reaction score
Western University COMP-NW (Lebanon, OR Campus)

Pros

• Free Rent all 4 years (Basement Apt of Grandparents)
  • Close to lots of family
  • Spouse could keep current job
  • Lots of connections with doctors in the area
  • Already paid the $2000 deposit

Cons

• Questionable rotations not sure
  • Higher Tuition $65,500
  • Newer satellite campus

Kansas City University (Kansas City Campus)

Pros

• Lower tuition $53,706
  • Top DO school
  • Great rotation sites
  • Awesome Match List

Cons

• Far from any family
  • Housing Costs
  • Spouse would need to find a new job

Summary: Looking for advice on this decision. I know KCU is a great school and would provide lots of opportunities for placement, but is it worth going to KCU and give up free housing, being close to family and connections to go to a newerish school like Western COMP-NW with a not as broad match list?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I think comp NW is the choice here, KCU rotations are by lottery system I recall, and you could have a chance of ending up in rural KS or Missouri, not that that’s a bad thing but if it’s not ur thing I wouldn’t classify it as “great rotation site”

With the current connections u have with the doctors in the area, great family support, and significantly reduced COL, I would choose comp NW. of course, KCU is a top DO school but I’m pretty sure PDs look at all DOs schools about the same - I’d wager you’d have about the same advantage matching from comp NW as from KCU

Western > KC for your needs. The lower tuition will be offset with your higher COA for KC and being close to your support group will help more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you still think Western > KCU if I'm wanting to match outside of primary care?
Hmmmmmm I DO think KCU would take the edge here if you want to match outside primary care because there probably are more resources for students to match outside primary care (nearby UMKC for research and such), but honestly I think either school will still give you the same chance in matching outside of primary care