This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parakeetsmiles

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to both medical schools and have until mid-January to put down a deposit

KCU-Joplin
Pros
  • Less expensive tuition ($47,000)
  • Less expensive cost of living. Husband and I could potentially live in a house rather than an apartment.
  • Established school with a great reputation, been around since 1916
  • Systems based curriculum
  • New campus, so new sim lab, anatomy lab, technology based, etc.
  • High board scores for COMLEX and USMLE
  • Residency matches in many specialties
  • Opportunities for patient exposure during 1st and 2nd years, but not sure how much there really is at Joplin Campus vs. KC.
  • Rotation sites seem more established, sounds like I would be able to stay in Joplin 3rd and 4th years if I wanted to (I wouldn't want to move cross country again)
  • I felt really great about the school on interview day - I got along really well with the students and others that were interviewing

Cons
  • It seems that there is not much individual study space at the Joplin Campus
  • Rigorous schedule, students seemed pretty stressed (even though they were extremely enthusiastic about the school).
  • Not as much dedicated study time for boards.
  • Far from home, but a pretty short plane ride (I live in Salt Lake City, Utah)

RVU-Utah

Pros
  • Systems based curriculum
  • High pass/pass/fail grading system
  • Close to family (4 hour drive)
  • New campus, so new sim lab, anatomy lab, technology based, etc.
  • High board scores for COMLEX and USMLE
  • Residency matches in many specialties
  • Students on interview day seemed really nice, sat down and talked with me, genuinely seemed to enjoy the program. They also seemed a lot for laid back/less stressed.
  • Dedicated study time for boards
  • Available 3rd and 4th year rotation sites in Salt Lake City, which is where I live now. I am wondering if spending 3rd and 4th year here would increase my chances of landing a residency here?

Cons
  • More expensive tuition ($55,000)
  • More expensive cost of living
  • Newer school, even the Colorado campus has only been around since 2006.
  • Rotation sites have just barely been established. I am familiar with most of the hospitals they are at and know that they are great hospitals, but I'm not sure about the preceptors, actual quality of rotations, etc.

Summary: My main goal is to practice as a physician in Utah once I am finished with residency. Do you think that going to a medical school in Utah would help with this goal? Or should I go to the more established school? It looks like factors such as board scores, new campus, and quality of education are about the same for both schools. Are there any other factors that I'm missing?

Members don't see this ad.

KCU-Joplin!!

Your cons for KCU are far less serious than RVU-Utah. You can stay in Joplin for your rotations and then easily find a residency program in Utah, and it is WAY less expensive. KCU has excellent clinical rotations as well and an established, proven curriculum.

As a current student, I wanted to point these out in case they would help you one way or another.

In Joplin, there are early clinical experiences during the semester at Freeman. Also, there are opportunities to work in an area community clinic that is worked one night a week by KCU students and faculty. The schedule is also intense, but they try to help ease the stress. Student services work hard to provide study breaks (even if they are short) to prevent burn out. Also there are various kinds of study spaces/environments and I do not see people really “fight” for study space (which many were concerned about now that there are two classes in the building).

More importantly, I want to give you the same advice that was given with me. Go with your gut. Your gut will not steer you wrong. You know yourself better than anyone on this site and you will know better than anyone where you will be happiest.

Good luck on the decision and congrats on the acceptances!