KCU-Joplin vs. PNWU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which would you pick?

• KCU - Joplin

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • PNWU

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

okdna

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I am in a pickle. I was accepted to KCU-Joplin and the deposit is due on 12/14. I have not heard back from PNWU yet (hopefully will before 12/14), but I need to make a decision on where I will put down a deposit if I am fortunate enough to get into PNWU.

So here's the deal, I really liked both schools. I felt good about the "fit" at both schools. Both schools have 100% match rates over the last 4 years and I think pretty comparable clinical experiences. The KCU campus seems nicer. KCU is a bit less expensive and the cost of living is lower in Joplin than Yakima. However, the cost difference would be a wash because my husband and I would not be able to live together in Joplin because of his job. So if we had to keep two households, it would probably even out financially. We are long-distance now, so I am confident that we could make it work in med school. But it sucks.

My husband is fully supportive no matter where I choose, but it is hard to justify putting the extra strain of 4 more years long-distance on my marriage without something being majorly better at KCU than PNWU. Can anybody give me thoughts about factors I may not be considering?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Being able to stay around the people you love is far more important than tuition, cost of living, dress code, quality of clinicals, etc.

If PNWU accepts you, then attend PNWU.

Reactions: 1 users
Without knowing your husband, I can say that I would be really upset if my wife left when there was a good option to stay together. He may be supportive, but I Suggest talking candidly together about this even if you have made a deposit

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Without knowing your husband, I can say that I would be really upset if my wife left when there was a good option to stay together. He may be supportive, but I Suggest talking candidly together about this even if you have made a deposit
Thank you for your reply. I ended up getting accepted at PNWU and I did not put down the deposit at KCU. My husband has made enough sacrifices for my education and I did not want to add the stress of four years long distance marriage for either of us.

Reactions: 4 users
Very good to hear. Location is often the most important factor, even if adcoms dont always agree

PNWU is a lot than somewhere like ATSU SOMA or WCU. KCU is a top school but depending on your goals, PNWU would be fine. Go with your gut on this.