KCOM Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neeja

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone- I had a quick question about KCOM-
I just recently received an e-mail from Donna Sparks in Admissions about taking my file off hold for review. Basically she told me that the class is full but they expect several withdrawals in the next few weeks. They are intreviewing for those few seats and granted me an interview for next week, 7/15.

Does anyone know what the process for this type of situation is?
Also, what is the best way to travel to kirksville? I am coming from Pittsburgh, PA and I looked up ticket prices and because I am booking so late, prices are up there. Is it best to fly directly into Kirksville Airport? And if I do fly in directly, is there transportation to the hotel/KCOM?

I'd appreciate any help or insight!
Thanks
Neeja

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

The best way I found is to check out AA, the only airlines that can get to Kirksville, web site. They got very reasonable fare. Also, the Days Inn hotel, a great place to stay at, provides a shuttle form and to the airport. As a matter of fact, they can drive to your interview and pick you up. They are very good in being on time, and extremely friendly.

Good Luck!

If you're coming to KV by air, you will be flying in from St. Louis on American Connection.

There is also a train station in La Plata, about 15 miles south of KV (from Chicago). I don't know if Days Inn will pick you up from there. We traveled by train to Philly this year and loved it! Very cool, if you have the time (takes about a day). But if you fly in, it can take a lot of travel time as well, since flights are limited availability.

Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
When I interviewed, I flew in to Columbia (90 miles south) and rented a car to drive to KV. This saved me about $100 in plane fare, including the extra cost of renting a car.

If you fly into KV, tho, let admissions know you need a ride and they can arrange a student ambassador to come pick you up at the airport.

If you stay at Days Inn, ask for the KCOM rate--they used to give a steep discount to KCOM interviewees, but it is not available online--you must call to get it!

Good LUCK!:clap:

Thanks everyone. I just booked my ticket to fly directly into kirksville.

Can you give me any advice about the interview? I got the schedule, and it said 2 one hour interviews with faculty. Can you give me some insight into what type of things they ask?

Thanks!

All of our interviewers are very straghtforward--there are no trick questions designed to catch you off-guard. The purpose of this interview is to get to know you and to see how well you may fit into your class.

The admissions committee does an excellent job hand-selecting each member of a class so that they will succeed academically and professionally as a group. Since we are fairly isolated here in Amish country, Missouri, you will come to rely heavily on your classmates and will, in very short order, consider some of them the closest friends you ever had. For this to happen and to happen well, you must meld with the other members. THAT is the purpose of the interview. They select you academically PRIOR to the interview. They know your numbers; now they want to know YOU.

Take this opportunity to present what YOU have to offer your class. What makes you unique? For example, in my class we have people who are working on second careers. with some of the first careers being Chiropractor, Phycial Therapist, Oncology Nurse, Montana Rancher, Military Service, Dancer and Pink Power Ranger (yes, it is true--haha), Government Translator, Intel Executive, etc, etc, etc. We are a varied profile and that makes our class stronger.

How can YOU enhance the tapestry of the Class of 2007?

That's funny because when I interviewed last November, one of my interviewers couldn't stop talking about my academics. My first interviewer was AWESOME and a very nice man. We had a great CONVERSATION. I left his office REALLY wanting to go to KCOM(not that I didn't before). My second interviewer, a surgeon, jumped RIGHT into my MCAT, my GPA and I left the interview KNOWING that I wasn't going to get in. I tried to remind myself that I had been screened academically prior to the interview but I don't think that was the case. So when after fearfully waiting 4 days, and finding out that I indeed did not get in, I wasn't entirely shocked. I was deeply upset because KCOM was my first choice and I felt like I'd been granted an interview for NO REASON. If my academics were so poor(which admittedly they were a little below average), I wish I hadn't been given an interview to avoid all of the false hope it brought.
You may argue or suspect that I was denied for non-academic reasons, but I wouldn't believe you- not with what went down in my interviews.
My advice.... if your academics are "weak", don't expect for them to be "skipped over." A friend of mine from undergrad had an interview there also, similar academics but more clinically related ECs, and she didn't get in either. But, she wasn't a pink power ranger.... who knows?

Dr_sax, bitter but will still be a D.O.

Neeja, good luck at KCOM its a good school. I was reading med school diaries and the student William was in your exact same situation. He got the call late and interviewed and was accepted. You should probably read his story in medschool diaries on the Student doctor network. Hope that helps.

ECU Med '07

Hi Neeja, Two years ago I interviewed here at KCOM in the summer and was offered a seat the Monday before classes started. This is definitely an opportunity. I agree with John DO. The interview is relaxed, and they are just trying to get to know you. If you are offered an interview, your academics are fine. They may want you to explain some areas, just don't get aggravated or nervous.

Good Luck!
KCOM2005

I missed you today, Neeja. I volunteered to host part of the tour day so I could meet you, but they told me you weren't able to make it! Sorry I didn't get to visit with you in person!

JohnDO- That was very nice of you! I should have posted earlier, but a few days ago, I was taken off the waitlist at LECOM, which is very close to home, so I decided to accept the offer. Unfortuantely, the deposit for LECOM was due on the same day as the KCOM interview, so I had decisions to make. It was definitely a tough one. I appreciate everyone's input, its nice to see so much help out there! Thanks again!