KCOM Hosing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dkwyler94

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure many of you will be starting your search into housing in Kirksville. Congratulations to all of you who have decided to attend KCOM. It is a lot of hard work, as I am sure you anticipate, but well worth the efforts.

When you come to Kirksville, you will find that rent is very low. With some of these places, you will find decent places to live. You will also find some landlords who are taking advantage of students. I had one such experience. School is stressful enough. Moving out of an apartment in the middle of a quarter after fighting with a landlord made it that much more.

Kirksville has limited building codes. When you move into the county, as I found, there are no building codes, fire codes, health codes, or zoning laws. I did see this apartment, but you can't always tell what is underneath the fresh paint and knew carpet.

Kim Reed was one landlord I would not recommend to anyone. I won't give you all the details. I will simply say that rats in the apartment, 30 spider bites one moring when I woke up on morning, and a week with no running water. The place looked very nice on the surface.

When I moved in, I tried for six months through phone calls and writing to work with the landlord. She did not respond until I threatened to sue her for breach of contract.

Most places are OK. Most landlords are helpful, but there are those bad ones out there. Just don't let yourself get caught as I did.

(Oh, and if you do get stuck like I did, I kept a record of every phone call, kept records of every letter and complaint in preparation for a possible suit-be wise when you fight a landlord).

Members don't see this ad.

Kilmer is another landlord to avoid; he builds his rentals. They look nice on the surface but are shoddly construction. Around KV they are called "Kilmer's Collapsibles".

Word of mouth works wonders in KV. Ask current/leaving students for recommendations. Some landlords never advertise because they find future tenants through current ones. Woodwinds is a nice community, as is Med Row. Avoid landlords that cater to Truman students; I think those places are THE WORST in town. Century 21 Realty has some nice rentals as well.

You will pay more for nice places- ie, no rats/mice, newer, less smelly, no mold/mildew, no leaking roof, etc. Be especially careful if you have children, as most places are older and I'm sure have tons of lead paint.

It all depends on your expected quality of living; some people think you should be willing to put up with anything just for a few years so you can become a dr. But I'd like my kids to grow up without brain damage and severe asthma, thank-you-very-much.

Yes, I live in KV, and yes, I'm a renter. But I'm not leaving, so you can't have my wonderful house!!!!! ;)

If you're looking to buy a place, real estate is very inexpensive here in Kirksville. In fact, I have a 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath two-story townhouse for sale. It's in a really quiet neighborhood and there are a lot of KCOM students in the complex. It has a fireplace, lots of closet space and the refrigerator, stove and dishwasher stay. The washer and dryer are negotiable. If you're interested, send me an email at [email protected] . Have a great summer and welcome to Kirksville!