Kaplan Videos vs. Live lecture course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

OBfan

Hi,
I just wanted to get some feedback from those who have used the videos from Kaplan(2001-2002) series. You know the set with Conrad Fisher. I have been using them during 3rd year and reading the Orange kaplan books. Has anyone out there used these for step 2 and also done USMLE world. Did you find it to be all you need? Could those videos be outdated? Or did you take the live lecture course and would advise that instead?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I just wanted to get some feedback from those who have used the videos from Kaplan(2001-2002) series. You know the set with Conrad Fisher. I have been using them during 3rd year and reading the Orange kaplan books. Has anyone out there used these for step 2 and also done USMLE world. Did you find it to be all you need? Could those videos be outdated? Or did you take the live lecture course and would advise that instead?
Thanks
I did Center Prep earlier this year and some of the videos are new...a few new ones done by Fischer, Gyn with Sakala, Peds with Cvetnic, for example...which is nice, but as long as you have the 2005-06 mango-colored notes, then you have updated info.

My core materials were exactly what you mentioned - Kaplan notes/videos and UW Qbank. I found both to be effective, but let's just see if they helped me pass the exam. I think so. I hope so...

I did the live lecture in chicago.

I can't compare with the current set of videos.

I did have cvetnic, fischer, faelis (<--very good), obgyn with pestana (<--very good) and a few others I can't remember.

I dont think there is a huge difference, but Dr Fischer said someting I can't remember about it.

Carlos Pestana I think teaches Surgery. Unless he's become an OBGyn now.

Anyways, I'm using the kaplan videos from 2001. I have 2003 notes. Went through them once, but will have to go through them again so they stick in my head. I think I saw some inconsistencies between Kaplan and UW, but right now, I just want to learn as much as possible. If there are a few changes, I dont mind. Im not shooting for a great score.

I think if u stick with your books and the videos and know them (I mean know them inside out, which is easier said than done), you should do well on the exam. I'm not sure if those who have taken the Live prep (and also have the 2001 videos in their possession) can comment on whether the course is still similar to the videos from 2001.

As for me, I learn by repetition, I can't go through the videos/notes once and expect to remember what I've read. Im the type who reads a book and if asked, about what I read I wouldn't be able to recall it. I'm trying to take a more active learning style so I can remember it long term (per advice from Kaplan QBook)...

I'm taking summary notes of the videos as I look over the Kaplan notes at the same time, talking it out, did about 700 Qs in UW so far and coming back to the material to study what I missed again...repetition, repetition, repetition...hopefully it'll work in the end. Working with the info as much as possible.

Dont forget to take a NBME test before u start studying so u know where to focus your studying on.

Good luck man.

Members don't see this ad :)
some other guy with a P then from Miami.

Penlevar?

I honestly can't remember anymore

Yeah Dr. Manuel Penalver...did the Gyn portion in the 2001 videos. Great outline lecture format.

Hee-Hee. It is too coincidental that a Dr. Manuel Penalver would teach Gyn. Does he illustrate proper technique for the "Manual Pelvic" exam too?

...Sorry, couldn't help myself.:smuggrin: