Kaplan Scores don't make any sense, or is it Next Step..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheStudyOfLife

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm getting really thrown off by Kaplan and NS both. I took a couple Kaplan FL's, scored anywhere from 490-494 way early on in my prep. Since, I've moved towards NS FL's and I'm scoring WAY higher with roughly the same % correct if not lower..

I'm not afraid to share my lower scores, but just look at this inconsistency between the two companies, I'm not sure who to trust to gauge my performance, Kaplan is just ripping me while NS is giving me over 500.

Kaplan 1:
Chem/Phys: 32.2% Correct -> 120
CARS: 62.3% Correct -> 124
Bio/Biochem: 45.7% -> 122
Psych/Soc: 55.9% -> 124

Total: 48.7% Correct -> 490

Kaplan 2:
Chem/Phys: 45.7% Correct -> 123
CARS: 47.2% Correct -> 122
Bio/Biochem: 56% -> 123
Psych/Soc: 52.5% -> 124

Total: 50.4% Correct -> 492

Kaplan 3:
Chem/Phys: 42.3% Correct -> 123
CARS: 69.8% Correct -> 124
Bio/Biochem: 59.3% -> 124
Psych/Soc: 54.2% -> 123

Total: 56.1% Correct -> 494???

Next Step:
Chem/Phys: 45.76% Correct -> 125
CARS: 60.38% Correct -> 125
Bio/Biochem: 49.15% -> 125
Psych/Soc: 64.41% -> 127

Total: 55% Correct -> 502???

Kaplan 3 was 1% higher correct than NS1 with a score of 8 points lower. Why so radically different..

Thanks for any insight.

Members don't see this ad.

This is funny because you and I literally have the same score. I noticed that kaplan is very content knowledge heavy compared to the actual mcat and AAMC materials. I'm retaking mine and I feel like NS is a better representation.

Hey guys,

So I'm getting really thrown off by Kaplan and NS both. I took a couple Kaplan FL's, scored anywhere from 490-494 way early on in my prep. Since, I've moved towards NS FL's and I'm scoring WAY higher with roughly the same % correct if not lower..

I'm not afraid to share my lower scores, but just look at this inconsistency between the two companies, I'm not sure who to trust to gauge my performance, Kaplan is just ripping me while NS is giving me over 500.

Kaplan 1:
Chem/Phys: 32.2% Correct -> 120
CARS: 62.3% Correct -> 124
Bio/Biochem: 45.7% -> 122
Psych/Soc: 55.9% -> 124

Total: 48.7% Correct -> 490

Kaplan 2:
Chem/Phys: 45.7% Correct -> 123
CARS: 47.2% Correct -> 122
Bio/Biochem: 56% -> 123
Psych/Soc: 52.5% -> 124

Total: 50.4% Correct -> 492

Kaplan 3:
Chem/Phys: 42.3% Correct -> 123
CARS: 69.8% Correct -> 124
Bio/Biochem: 59.3% -> 124
Psych/Soc: 54.2% -> 123

Total: 56.1% Correct -> 494???

Next Step:
Chem/Phys: 45.76% Correct -> 125
CARS: 60.38% Correct -> 125
Bio/Biochem: 49.15% -> 125
Psych/Soc: 64.41% -> 127

Total: 55% Correct -> 502???

Kaplan 3 was 1% higher correct than NS1 with a score of 8 points lower. Why so radically different..

Thanks for any insight.

Yah, it can vary depending on the company. I would recommend taking AAMC FL to really gauge your understanding. It will give the best prediction of what you will earn.

When I used Kaplan tests, I would score so low. I do believe NS are a bit close to AAMC FLs. So, they should be better predictors.

This is funny because you and I literally have the same score. I noticed that kaplan is very content knowledge heavy compared to the actual mcat and AAMC materials. I'm retaking mine and I feel like NS is a better representation.

Yeah I'm feeling that, too. I haven't cracked open any AAMC materials yet, but I just don't understand what Kaplan's deal is with the huge score deflation. If I hadn't started using other companies to get a second look I think I would've just crawled in a hole..

Yah, it can vary depending on the company. I would recommend taking AAMC FL to really gauge your understanding. It will give the best prediction of what you will earn.

When I used Kaplan tests, I would score so low. I do believe NS are a bit close to AAMC FLs. So, they should be better predictors.

Thanks for this. I have heard NS is closer to AAMC. I'm saving my 2 scored AAMC for the last two weeks before my test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'm feeling that, too. I haven't cracked open any AAMC materials yet, but I just don't understand what Kaplan's deal is with the huge score deflation. If I hadn't started using other companies to get a second look I think I would've just crawled in a hole..

Thanks for this. I have heard NS is closer to AAMC. I'm saving my 2 scored AAMC for the last two weeks before my test.

Honestly man, YMMV on this but my score has been trash from both kaplan, princeton and NS, but I just took AAMC sample test the other day and did "decently" compared to what I've been doing. And my question pack has consistently been over 50% correct. I found that after exhausting my AAMC stuff and just starting the section banks, Khan has been good in helping me.

FWIW, I took 2 Kaplan FL's last year and averaged 495. Completely suspended studying and took NS 1 after only studying psych/soc 1 year later-- 504. Kaplan FL's are VERY content heavy compared to NS.