Kaplan PCAT book-Too General?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmEm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok,
So I'm taking the PCAT in October just like many of you are and so I decided to buy the Kaplan PCAT book b/c so many people recommended it on this forum. I'm not taking the class, I'm not buying the PCAT professor thing, or any other study materials, it's just me, my kaplan book and my cup of coffee.
So I'm going through the book and I realize that it is VERY VERY VERY general. I really don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. It could be good b/c it can mean that the PCAT questions won't be so detailed, but it could also be bad b/c the PCAT questions could be that deatiled. For example, I went over proteins today and it says that (for those of you that have the 2004-2005 kaplan PCAT book, its on pg. 135), "The polypeptide chains can form intra-molecular and inter-molecular cross bridges with disulfide bonds. THE RESULT IS A COMPLEX, INTERTWINED FUNCTIONAL PROTEIN." Now, I understand this (or at least I hope I do), but the complex functional protein that it's talking about can be the primary structure, alpha/beta pleated sheet, tertiary structure, etc.
So my question to you is, is it assumed that we should know these structures, (primary, alpha/beta, tertiary) or is what they wrote all we have to know? Seriously, I just find this book so freaking broad and general. They just INFORM us that there have been PCAT changes on the test but they don't even included practice problems or materials in the study guide
(i.e. Calculus).

Members don't see this ad.

PharmEm said:
Ok,
So I'm taking the PCAT in October just like many of you are and so I decided to buy the Kaplan PCAT book b/c so many people recommended it on this forum. I'm not taking the class, I'm not buying the PCAT professor thing, or any other study materials, it's just me, my kaplan book and my cup of coffee.
So I'm going through the book and I realize that it is VERY VERY VERY general. I really don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. It could be good b/c it can mean that the PCAT questions won't be so detailed, but it could also be bad b/c the PCAT questions could be that deatiled. For example, I went over proteins today and it says that (for those of you that have the 2004-2005 kaplan PCAT book, its on pg. 135), "The polypeptide chains can form intra-molecular and inter-molecular cross bridges with disulfide bonds. THE RESULT IS A COMPLEX, INTERTWINED FUNCTIONAL PROTEIN." Now, I understand this (or at least I hope I do), but the complex functional protein that it's talking about can be the primary structure, alpha/beta pleated sheet, tertiary structure, etc.
So my question to you is, is it assumed that we should know these structures, (primary, alpha/beta, tertiary) or is what they wrote all we have to know? Seriously, I just find this book so freaking broad and general. They just INFORM us that there have been PCAT changes on the test but they don't even included practice problems or materials in the study guide
(i.e. Calculus).

The PCAT isn't that specific. You pretty much need to know general information about most of the topics. It would be rare if they ask you something about primary, alpha/beta, tertiary. Don't get me wrong though, it isn't that general either. Sorry if that was kinda vague.

PharmEm said:
Ok,
(i.e. Calculus).

I am yet to see my PCAT score, so I may be blowin smoke, but I didn't think that the Kaplan book was the one and only almighty source for PCAT preparation.

It will provide you some good general information. Most of the questions arent quite that specific like the protein question you were thinkin about. My advice would be to use that as a guide of most of what needs to be covered, but dont depend only on the PCAT book. I don't feel that the math portion of the Kaplan book prepared me for the math part.

Like I said though, I would suggest that you use the Kaplan book as an outline and try to learn all of the general aspects of biology that you possibly can.

There is hardly any way to know everything thats going to be on there. Just keep it somewhat general and try to hit every aspect related to each section. Part of the PCAT is going to come down to how well you do on standardized tests.

I would say that once you've taken the prerequisites that are required for most pharmacy schools, all you need to do is review those materials. I think the kaplan book is just good enough for that. Besides, the PCAT tests you on what you already know.
PharmEm said:
Ok, So I'm taking the PCAT in October just like many of you are and so I decided to buy the Kaplan PCAT book b/c so many people recommended it on this forum. I'm not taking the class, I'm not buying the PCAT professor thing, or any other study materials, it's just me, my kaplan book and my cup of coffee.
(i.e. Calculus).

Members don't see this ad :)
looking back the biology section on the pcat seemed very general to me. Even the chem thing was much more general than i expected.

obviously you have to know some stuff in detail but its not a scary level of detail (ie which of the amino acids are non-polar R groups etc)

fiddle around with at least two of the study guide brands and you will get an idea of what it will be like. .

I recommend petersons guide for chemistry and biology and barrons for biology

I thought that the Barron's guide worked really well as an outline for the science sections. I don't think there was anything on the test which those outlines did not cover. I still haven't found any study guides that work for the math and verbal sections tho

Amith said:
I thought that the Barron's guide worked really well as an outline for the science sections. I don't think there was anything on the test which those outlines did not cover. I still haven't found any study guides that work for the math and verbal sections tho

Hey, where did you get the barrons guide and the peterson too?
~T

I think Kaplan was HORRIBLE! I'm not sure what books are good to study but right now I'm using Barron's AP Biology(1997) and going through their end of chapter questions which I think are a lot better...Esp the Math on Kaplan did NOT help..I would recommend going through your old notes(hopefully you saved them) or pick up some cliffnotes on bio/chem,cause like they said,it's pretty general.
For example I remember the pcat asking def of brownsted lowry acid/base, which is the weakest type of bond(vander waals)..DIdn't need to know anything on the reproductive sys as covered in kaplan,but i think i remember some EYE questions about the lens or something..I'm not sure how to study for verbal/reading..sorry! :(

AmericanDesi said:
I think Kaplan was HORRIBLE! I'm not sure what books are good to study but right now I'm using Barron's AP Biology(1997) and going through their end of chapter questions which I think are a lot better...Esp the Math on Kaplan did NOT help..I would recommend going through your old notes(hopefully you saved them) or pick up some cliffnotes on bio/chem,cause like they said,it's pretty general.
For example I remember the pcat asking def of brownsted lowry acid/base, which is the weakest type of bond(vander waals)..DIdn't need to know anything on the reproductive sys as covered in kaplan,but i think i remember some EYE questions about the lens or something..I'm not sure how to study for verbal/reading..sorry! :(

I thought the weakest bond was the hydrogen bond...??? Shows how little i know I guess haha

PharmEm said:
Ok,
(i.e. Calculus).

I can certainley understand your complaint about Calculus not being on the Kaplan PCAT book. Perhaps you did not buy the newest version of the book. My 2005 Kaplan book did have some Calculus in it. But I think as others have said the book is general because the PCAT is very general. I found the book to be very helpful in reviewing pre-requisite course material.

The only other supplementary material I used was a calc and ochem text book. Between these three books you should do good on the exam. :)

Best of Luck