Kaplan or tutor? Need to decide quick!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mistress S

Don't mess with the S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the Aug 2003 MCAT and scored a 29 overall (10 BS, 12 VR, 7 PS). I am planning to apply this year and re-take the MCAT this Aug in the hopes of bringing up my PS score. Last time, I studied on my own using mainly EK materials (review books) and the AAMC tests. My problem was (is) that I am a huge procrastinator, I really only studied in a very half-ass manner until about 3.5 weeks before the exam, at which point it was too late to really address my weaknesses in PS (especially considering that I did basically all my BS review in that time too). I enrolled in a Kaplan course for this coming MCAT, but I am not sure if it is worth the $$ (I am paying for it all myself, and I don't have a lot of money).

I went to the first Kaplan class and I felt dirty (I think they prey on the fears of nervous premeds like myself, for an ungodly profit), not to mention stupid for paying that much money for something I can (theoretically) do on my own. I have only paid a deposit so far, if I don't go to the next class I can still get most of that back but if I don't drop it I have to pay the balance (>$700, which I don't have :( ) by next week. I'm thinking about just getting a tutor instead for PS and reviewing on my own, but I'm scared that I won't improve enough and my app will already be submitted to med schools. :scared: I know questions like this have been asked 1000 times before, but for someone in my situation, do you think Kaplan is worth the cost? I really just want to bring up my PS score a couple points and keep the other scores the same, at least. This seems very doable on my own, especially with the help of a tutor, but Kaplan could provide the structure that I need (given my slacker tendencies). Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, let me say: Good job on that 29. I'm surprised you have to re-take.
Because I'm a huge procrastinator myself, I chose Princeton over Kaplan because there's more classes, hence, more structure to keep me in line, for the same money. Since you've already started class, I say consider staying with it. You didn't mention your class load, work hours, etc., but think about all the things in your life that could distract you from preparing, and make a decision whether or not you need the structure of classroom to keep you motivated. As for a tutor, are you good in one-on-one situations? I usually do better in a classroom, where I can depend on other people to ask questions that I'm too chicken to ask, or at least where I am not the sole focus. Private tutors don't work for me. I can't tell you how your money is best spent, but I hope I provided some help. Good luck, future doctor. :thumbup:

Yes, theoretically you can do it all on your own, and it sounds like you did a pretty good job in both the biological sci and verbal. Most of my friends that applied to med school, took the Kaplan course, and just about everyone says it was a big help and improved their score. Although my pre-health office at my school and amcas says that prep courses don't show any statistical advantage, I think it is helpful for busy people in terms of forcing you to be disciplined about studying and focusing on what you really need to know. If you are extremely self-disciplined, you can do it on your own. On the other hand, you won't get as much practice material from one of those prep books that only include a couple model exams. If you are worried about cost, I've heard the qbank that kaplan offers is useful in providing a lot of mcat style passage based questions. Also, think about how much you are going to have to invest in paying for medical school, the price of a prep course is nothing in comparison and worth it considering how many positive reviews of score improvements I've heard from my friends.

I took Kaplan because I'm also a procrastinator. I scored 10 points higher on the MCAT than I did on my initial Kalpan diagnostic so I have always been an advocate of Kaplan. I couln't have got the score I did if I wouldn't have gone to Kaplan. HOWEVER....one of the biggest parts of Kaplan is that you have to be motivated and most (if not all) of the work has to be done on your own. I think that if you already scored an 29 on you own, then you can probably bring your score up to the level that you want it if you study on your own. As long as you don't procrastinate and are very motivated. If you feel you need more structure I think Kaplan will be worth the money. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
you'll also be getting a ton of practice materials / simulated test 5-6x that you wouldn't have on your own. if you feel some of the classes are a waste, skip those and do some practice tests at the center. i know it sux when money's tight, but it will be $ worth spent (and unfortunately that is chump change to what you could pay next year in application and travel fees). good luck, mate.

The only benefit to a prep course i see it that it keeps u on track. Going to class for the most part isn't very helpful. The teachers are great, but they cant really teach u anything new. U need to review the stuff on ur own and go to class for extra reinforcement or to get questions answered. For me going to class was a big waste of time (2.5 hrs that coud have been spent studying on ur own). I dropped the course mid way through. I might sign up again bc i am pretty pathetic and I know that i won't study unless if there is a teacher or someone else to make me feel bad or stupid for not studying.

Does anyone know if kaplan lets people who arent in there mcat course use their test and questions bank? I mean could i pay them just to use their practice exams? Someone told me u could do this, but i went to kaplan and picked up a brochure and it didn't have anythign like this in it.

My experience with Kaplan was highly variable. The original instructor whose class I was assigned to was not particularly helpful. I jumped ship and snuck into a different class taught by a far more effective instructor which made a huge difference. I, too, am a procrastinator, and I found that I continued to procrastinate even with Kaplan classes to attend. Although you get access to a humungous amount of test materials, it doesn't help if you aren't motivated enough to use those materials. I had the same problem that you experienced: decent verbal & biol. sciences scores, but slightly lower physical science scores (and this was after the Kaplan course).

I would recommend getting a tutor for physics/general chem if you can find someone who has a good track record, a teaching style that matches your learning style, and excellent motivational skills. Having a personal tutor that you meet with regularly would hold you more accountable for studying & doing problem sets. You would also get more specific, personalized help in areas you are having trouble with. I ended up studying on my own for my 2nd MCAT attempt and focusing more on gen chem than physics because I seemed to have a better capacity to improve on gen chem. I paid for the on-line MCAT practice tests ($80) and ran through them over & over again to improve test-taking velocity. I was greatly relieved when my 2nd set of MCAT scores went up to just where I needed them to be. But I probably would have done even better with a PS tutor. :luck: