Kaplan on-line course

romeslate

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Has anyone here paid the money and taken the Kaplan on-line course? I have the Kaplan OAT study book and have been using it, but am willing to pay the price if the on-line course is at all worth it. Any feedback will be appreciated. Many thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i did the kaplan in-class course but the classroom part of it went too fast so it didn't really help. The best part about kaplan is the review book (which has everything that might be covered on the oat) and the online practice tests it comes with. If I could do it again I'd get the review book and purchase an online cdrom with practice tests.

I still have all the kaplan stuff that came with my class- the review book, lesson book, and notecards and i'm trying to sell it. PM me if anyone is interested.

I used all portions of the Kaplan review. I found the online lecture's very helpful. It was a good way to mix up the angles from which I was reviewing the information. The online lecture's also go over the main points that are def. going to be on the OAT.

I don't think the live classes are worth the time and money you'll have to spend for them. They're long, cover the same topics as the on-line classes, and basically go _straight_ through the skinnier white Kaplan lesson book. The only thing I gained by attending the live classes was a sense of urgency and fear since I was surrounded by a bunch of ambitious, stressed out pre-dent/pre-optometry students. (So I was more motivated to study.)

The online courses are a little better, but they're still not that great. The computer based quizes were boring and it's hard to read from a computer monitor all day long. But-- The lessons are more succint and concise, and I could do them whenever I wanted, which was nice. (Still not worth it overall, though.)

The flash cards are nice, but I didn't use them as a primary study tool. Rather, I just looked over them the day or two before the test to make sure the topics covered were fresh on my mind. These were useful and helped build confidence and identify areas I needed to do some last minute cramming for.

The best thing for me was to go completely through the entire purple Kaplan review book. (Taking notes.) Then, I took as many practice tests as I could. I probably solved over a thousand problems, but it got me a 390 AA, so it was worth it. The rub is that I think you need to sign up for a class at Kaplan if you want access to the practice tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there!
This past summer, I paid the $1200 to take the KAPLAN OAT On-Line course. It's essentially the same thing as the classroom one, except you can do it when you want to and you can replay all of the lectures as many time as you want. The course came with a HUGE 4-inch thick book with summaries of everything you need to know. There is also a smaller, 1-inch thick book that works with the on-line lectures: it is outlined so you can fill in the blanks etc (which I have done for all but one of the lectures). It also came with a TON of flashcards. I am selling all of this since I've taken my OAT for the last time. I'm thinking of selling it for around $500, which is less than half what I paid-and the only thing you're not getting that I did, was the online lectures that have been filled out in the corresponding book. I do have a few other friends here at Ferris who are interested, so if you'd like to make an offer, please contact me! My email address is [email protected]. Just put OAT in the subject line so I am sure not to delete it. Best of luck on your OAT if I don't here from you!

I also took the OAT online course last summer. I hadn't taken Bio2 or physics2 so I found it extremely helpful. It really helped in knowing what possible topics would be covered on the exam. So many school courses cover different topics so its nice to see which will be covered on the OAT. It also gave me experience in writing computerized tests. I thought it was worth the money

I was actually thinking about buying the online kaplan course but I have a couple of questions first....

1)How long is the course valid for? For example, if I buy it next january but I'm not taking the OAT till August or so..will I be able to use it throughout next semester and throughout the summer also?

2)When you buy the course, how do you actually get the book and workbook and stuff??

Thanks

The online course is valid for 3 months I think. The online tests really helped me get used to writing a test on a computer and getting the timing correct.
Kaplan sends the review book and the cue cards and the lecture guide in the mail when you sign up. When i was almost finished my course I printed out all of the practice tests and practice oats so you could keep studying from them.
When i did the online course i started early may and wrote in august. Its a big course with alot of components. There is prereading to do before viewing on the online lectures and workshops to complete on the subjects. Then there is 3 or 4 tests on each section. Then tests on each subject as a whole. I only worked part time and i barely finished it. Make sure you take into account hte amount of work and time that will go into it before you buy it.

ya, I guess I'll save it for the summer then..maybe I'll just start reviewing stuff next semester and then buy the course in the beginning of may just as you did..i won't be working as you did, but I'm going to be taking physics 1 summer A and physics 2 summer B...we'll see how it goes..thanks for the help