Kaplan NAPLEX review course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gradintern

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody been to the 3 day live Kaplan review course, and if so, how useful was it in your preparation for the NAPLEX? I understand that they also provide you with study materials, is that just the NAPLEX review book that you can buy online or something else? I am a foreign graduate and have only had retail practice and am particularly concerned about whether I know enough hospital-related information. Thank you, I'd really appreciate any and all help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to bring this topic back up. Cuz I am also wondering if the Kaplan Naplex Review course is worth it.

I did end up going to that review course, and I am personally glad I did. For one thing, as I mentioned I am a foreign graduate and needed some info on hospital-related pharmacy. The book they give you is different than the one you can get on Amazon, it's called Kaplan Naplex Lecture Notes, by Reiss and Hall. It does give you some pertinent hospital info. I feel that though it is very simple, it gives you some to the point basic information that you might otherwise miss. I graduated in 2003 so this is helpful to me. For example, instead of going through every single thing an antibiotic is good for, it might tell you what it is actually commonly used for, or important/famous facts about that antibiotic. So for one thing, even if you don't go, you should definitely have them send you their materials (I am talking about the Walgreens Kaplan Naplex review, and they offered to do this, I'm not sure if other companies sponsor the exact same review or not).

As for actually making the trip, I had to take a plane and I ended up staying at the same (expensive) hotel, so I had to take the decision seriously, not to mention the worth of study time. If the trip will be financially difficult for you, then you could make due with the materials, but keep in mind that the lecturers might give you links to their power point materials, so if you know someone who is going this would be valuable to get from them. It was valuable to me to go and have someone say the information, it's just an extra way of studying. So it's a balance between whether you can afford the time/money, and how much you would value/need someone to give you some extra info in a different medium than studying. That might help some info stick more. But I decided to enjoy the trip too after a long few months of internship.

In conclusion, I would say that for my own background and needs, I found the review useful say 6-7 out of 10, and the possession of the book 10 out of 10, because I wasn't able to get it otherwise. I was happy to meet fellow pharmacists/ new contacts, and to see how everyone else was doing study-wise. If it is finanacially and time-wise not that much of an investment, I'd go for it. If it's a little difficult, then I would weigh your experience/needs against what I've told you, you don't have to go to the actual thing, you could just read the materials and get about the same value. But as I said, it would be good to find links to the professor's materials, in addition to the Kaplan book.

Also, I had wondered what the law review would be like. I'm in CA, so I was wondering if it would be purely law or if it would have any useful clinical info (since the CPJE is mostly clinical), but the law review is purely a day of law review. They gave us a booklet of the professor's slides and I'm sure they'd send that to you too if you asked for it.

Hope that's helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am taking NAplex in 2 months and I am also a foreign graduate intern...I know that I need to catch up with clinical pharmacy, I checked the kaplan review classes, but they do them in September...I missed May already. Any other courses you would recommend? Anything to make my studying easier?

Hey,

Forget about the Kaplan course. Just order the apha book and go to Borders and buy the Kaplan book there. That will be sufficient