Kaplan Guarantee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sky walkerz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried, successfully, to get their money back from Kaplan?

Does anyone know how to initiate a refund?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

sky walkerz said:
Has anyone ever tried, successfully, to get their money back from Kaplan?

Does anyone know how to initiate a refund?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

This is the first MCAT for which they have offered this guarantee, so you are about to find out how it works. First, look at the paperwork. There are a bunch of conditions about how many classes you had to attend and how much homework you had to do. Then, the full refund only applies under certain circumstances (I believe that you have to score worse on the MCAT than on the diagnostic); otherwise, you only get the ability to go back and retake the course.

So first, look at the signup paperwork and figure out what you signed up for. Then, if there is no info on there about refunds, call the national Kaplan office.

i had a friend who took kaplan and wasn't happy with her score (i don't remember if she did worse on the actual mcat as compared to her diagnostic). they didn't refund her money, but they did tell her she could take the course again for free i believe ...
i would just call kaplan and ask them though

Members don't see this ad :)
The Higher Score Guarantee applies, assuming you signed up once it was in force:

1) If you attend (or make up) all the classes,

2) If you do all the required homework and full-length exams (there is more work suggested in the book than in required; you don't have to complete the optional stuff)

3) And you scored lower on your MCAT than on a baseline exam you provided before the course. (It doesn't have to be the Kaplan diagnostic; you can use a previous MCAT score, for example.)

If you fulfill these three conditions, you can apply to get your money back.

If you simply scored lower than you would like--if you are not satisfied, even if you scored higher than your diagnostic--you can retake for free.

And if you did not feel ready to take the exam, you can also retake for free. (Though that's not the question here.)

HawkeyeBFP said:
The Higher Score Guarantee applies, assuming you signed up once it was in force:

1) If you attend (or make up) all the classes,

2) If you do all the required homework and full-length exams (there is more work suggested in the book than in required; you don't have to complete the optional stuff)

3) And you scored lower on your MCAT than on a baseline exam you provided before the course. (It doesn't have to be the Kaplan diagnostic; you can use a previous MCAT score, for example.)

If you fulfill these three conditions, you can apply to get your money back.

If you simply scored lower than you would like--if you are not satisfied, even if you scored higher than your diagnostic--you can retake for free.

And if you did not feel ready to take the exam, you can also retake for free. (Though that's not the question here.)
I think this is how they 'lure' ppl in. By saying they have a 'money back guarantee'. But that guarantee is dependant upon doing WORSE on the actual MCAT than on your kaplan diagnostic, which is total BS. Who the hell studies/preps for the diagnostic? Practically everyone bombs on it and scores higher on the actual thing which then makes the guarantee null.

My friend saw this loophole, so he went online and saw all the answers before he took the diagnostic(you get access to ALL the tests as soon as your check clears) and got a 35 on it. On the actual test, he got a 31 thus making him eligible for the 'money back guarantee'.

He's applying for a refund but I am curious as to whether they will cough up the money...

I think they've changed the ability to see all the answers before the diagnostic, probably to prevent people from doing what your friend did. I'm taking a course that starts tomorrow and my Kaplan page says "diagnostic verification pending" and I think after I take the diagnostic I will be able to see all of the tests.

I prepped for the diagnostic and scored a 29. I felt pretty smart about that afterwards because if I did worse, I would get my money back and if I did better, no need to retake.

But that guarantee is dependant upon doing WORSE on the actual MCAT than on your kaplan diagnostic, which is total BS. Who the hell studies/preps for the diagnostic? Practically everyone bombs on it and scores higher on the actual thing which then makes t

You should read the posts you quote more carefully. I thought I was clear: it doesn't have to be the actual Kaplan diagnostic. It can be a previous MCAT, if you have one. The point is supposed to be to mark your improvement, not to try and get a course for free.

I mean, they don't have to offer a money-back guarantee at all. After all, you're paying for a class. Do you get your money back if you pay for a semester of college, never go to class and flunk everything? Sheesh. If you don't want to pay for a course, don't take one. I didn't, and I did quite well on the MCAT. There are no magic bullets. If you study the material and practice the form of the exam, you should do fine.

Truthfully, I think taking courses for standardized exams is kind of silly. But to take a test and "cheat" a higher score by cribbing the answers beforehand in order to beat Kaplan out of the cost of the course is pretty pathetic. Not to mention unethical.

yeah im tryign too

they said i didnt complete a few quizes...which i did..

and they said they have to look through my book and stuff...

its long process so im keeping my fingers crossed

HawkeyeBFP said:
You should read the posts you quote more carefully. I thought I was clear: it doesn't have to be the actual Kaplan diagnostic. It can be a previous MCAT, if you have one. The point is supposed to be to mark your improvement, not to try and get a course for free.

I mean, they don't have to offer a money-back guarantee at all. After all, you're paying for a class. Do you get your money back if you pay for a semester of college, never go to class and flunk everything? Sheesh. If you don't want to pay for a course, don't take one. I didn't, and I did quite well on the MCAT. There are no magic bullets. If you study the material and practice the form of the exam, you should do fine.

Truthfully, I think taking courses for standardized exams is kind of silly. But to take a test and "cheat" a higher score by cribbing the answers beforehand in order to beat Kaplan out of the cost of the course is pretty pathetic. Not to mention unethical.

First of all, lets not bang the gavel preaching moral/ethical implications.
Second, its NOT the same as a college course. A college course doesn't GUARANTEE an A on your final if you get a D on your first quiz. Also, my friend DID go to every single class/exam and did every single homework.
Third, I did read your post clearly, but maybe you should read mine. He had never taken an actual MCAT before, so what test would they use for the guarantee? The diagnostic right?

Actually, the REAL point is if they didnt have the bulls*** guarantee then there wouldn't be a problem. Hell, my friend didn't even think of doing this until he read it through. Its not like he got up that day and decided to scam a prep course. It was done as a form of retaliation, even though the odds of getting the money back are slim to none. The point is it's pretty damn obvious that very few ppl do well on the diagnostic, so why insult our intelligences? Why not say "We'll do our best to improve your score?" Atleast then Kaplan would be ethical.

As for your "taking a prep course for a standardized test is silly" comment.....well, there's really no point arguing that, 'cuz to each his own. Some do it for structure and dscipline, while others like myself sign up for them specifically to gain access to the practice material.

It's like what Tommy Boy said about guarantees:

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why do they put a guarantee on a box? Hmm, very interesting.

Ted: I'm listening.

Tommy: Here's how I see it. A guy puts a guarantee on the box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.

Ted: Yeah, makes a man feel good.

Tommy: 'Course it does. Ya think if you leave that box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter.

Ted: What's your point?

Tommy: The point is, how do you know the Guarantee Fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, but we're not buying it. Next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I seen it a hundred times.

Ted: But why do they put a guarantee on the box then?

Tommy: Because they know all they solda ya was a guaranteed piece of ****. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality item from me.

Abe said:
dont you just have to just check mark a quiz to say you did it? How do they know your really doing it anywayz.

Because the score that you would have gotten IF you took the quiz would show up next to the quiz as a percentage anong with the date.

i forget that i have a higher score guarantee bc i wont ever need it!!! ...yeahahhahah thats the attitude

Here is my question...if you don't take the test and just want access until the next test, shouldn't they give you that without the Higher Score Guarantee? I mean it's not like you could possibly be taking advantage of them. You don't want your money back or anything. Who would say, "Ok I'm going to rip Kaplan off by torturing myself in MCAT hell for another 6 months instead of taking the test now." It doesn't make any sense not to let you keep studying for free.