Kaplan Course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sopie123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone take the Kaplan DAT course? Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

my opinion on kaplan is: expensive, but it does help in ochem, gchem and pat's.

bio i thought it didn't cover enough, math is just a matter of finding sample test questions.

food4thots said:
my opinion on kaplan is: expensive, but it does help in ochem, gchem and pat's.

bio i thought it didn't cover enough, math is just a matter of finding sample test questions.

i took the class.. but the actual class didn't help at all! it was the material they provided that helped the most... i would recommend taking the class.. just so you get the material online.. kaplan was the only study material i used

I heard its a waste of money but they have good material. So if you know someone whose taking it, see if they have hook you up with the material. They should also be able to renew there stuff online for you too.

Members don't see this ad :)
sopie123 said:

The Kaplan course is not that useful. However, their review materials (blue book), subject tests, and practice tests are very useful.

I would just get the review materials, the practice tests and the subject tests and not go through with the 3 hours long lectures (it's like paying someone to read the review material to you).

Those lectures basically repeat everything in your review materials and they teach them at a very rapid pace.

Also, Kaplan is not very good in teaching the biology section. They missed a lot of materials, especially in the classification chapter. In addition, Kaplan's PAT is a lot easier than the real thing.

However, Kaplan's Organic Chem, Reading comprehension, General chemistry and quantitation section is very good though.

sopie123 said:
I don't think Kaplan is any better than any other serious standardized test review company. $1200+ for the course is crazy. Buy a review book, study with a few other people if you prefer, use the saved money to stay at the MGM Grand in Vegas. Or Mandalay Bay.

The only thing useful from the course is the extra PAT practice which is hard to find. The problem with Kaplan's version of the PAT is that its ridiculously easy compared to the real thing. IMO, Kaplan is a waste of money and time.