Kaplan course online passages SO HARD!! Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a15z

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 2016 The Berkeley Review books for content.

I purchased the Kaplan self-study passages, which is kind of like an online qbank for the new MCAT. They also come in the Kaplan courses.

The passages are ridiculously hard compared to TBR, for me at least. I am scoring 55-60% on the Kaplan online passages, compared to 80%+ on TBR.

Do you think my TBR scores are not indicative of my potential real score? I will take the AAMC full-length soon and have my MCAT scheduled in July.

Thanks. I am really worried that I might need to push my test back after those Kaplan passage scores.

Members don't see this ad.

I first started with the Kaplan passages that came with all the books and i got at least 40% on all of them. I ditched Kaplan and went to KA to learn all material, practiced with NS FL, Kaplan FL, AAMC material, and Ek FL. I made a 518 on real thing 6 months later.

Honestly, i did not like the Kaplan passages at all. I’d spend my time doing KA videos or doing AAMC material. I also kinda liked NS FL too, they were the best practice outside AAMC IMO

I first started with the Kaplan passages that came with all the books and i got at least 40% on all of them. I ditched Kaplan and went to KA to learn all material, practiced with NS FL, Kaplan FL, AAMC material, and Ek FL. I made a 518 on real thing 6 months later.

Honestly, i did not like the Kaplan passages at all. I’d spend my time doing KA videos or doing AAMC material. I also kinda liked NS FL too, they were the best practice outside AAMC IMO

Thank you so much. I think the passages are terrible. Thank you for taking the time to reply - it will save me $$$! Kaplan's passages are awful. I purchased the self-study bundle just for the extra 1000+ passages (search "kaplan mcat prep packs"). They aren't worth it at all. I've used EK and TBR - no issues with those passages. I think the Kaplan passages are based on minutiae - they are not broad application-focused at all.

Thank you so much. I think the passages are terrible. Thank you for taking the time to reply - it will save me $$$! Kaplan's passages are awful. I purchased the self-study bundle just for the extra 1000+ passages (search "kaplan mcat prep packs"). They aren't worth it at all. I've used EK and TBR - no issues with those passages. I think the Kaplan passages are based on minutiae - they are not broad application-focused at all.

Of course! I know how hard it is to decide which sources to study with and how to study.

Don’t worry about those Kaplan scores. the highest i scored on Kaplan FL was a 509 and those passages hurt my ego so much lol. they really weren’t all that representative of the real thing. The real mcat passages were longer and required for analysis of figures and graphs

Best bet to spend your money on is AAMC FL and if you have extra money and time buy NS FL.