Kaplan classes worth $650?

a1bui

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
K, so i need advice ... i have the option of takin Kaplan for 50% off because I'm in officer of my school's pre-optometry club (we have a deal with them). I know some people say its not worth the $1300, but is it worth the $650?

I already have the 2005 kaplan material (from the actual course), so that's not the issue. Also, i tend to study better on my own and I am pretty motivated to study for hours every day anyway...so that's no problem either.

So, what it comes down to (since i have the material already) is... is the CLASS worth $650, or ~$45 per 3.5 hr session? Does the lecturer just go over what's in the book, or does he/she do anything else that I wouldn't get from self-studying the material?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't take the Kaplan course, but I did use the books. My personal advice would be to save your money. I realize that it would only be 1/2 price, but if you are disciplined enough to read the books and study the way that you need to for the OAT, I am sure that you will do fine. Good luck!

i've written this before, but if you can discipline yourself to study on a semi regular schedule than save your money. for me i took the oat in the fall when i was taking classes, so having to go to class forced me to set aside time to study.

and 650!! wow i paid 1k with the 100 discount from my preoptometry group. your pre optometry group rocks! :love:

Okay, thanks for the advice! Just wanted to reassure myself since I'll be passing up a great deal and all. The savings will pass on to the next officer, so its not wasted :) .

Oh, and the 50% off is for certain officers of the pre-optometry club; not everyone in the club. We do the 10% off for everyone else too, so nothing special about my club... haha.

Thanks again! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
but kaplan has given us great support, so i wont complain to loudly :love:
and it was 3 years ago...hmmm i need another hobby besides SDN :laugh:

Hmm..if you are motivated and have that drive to study alone then don't take the class. On the other hand, for people like me who study better in groups and are exhausted from taking crazy semesters along with winter and summer classes to graduate on time...I'd take the class. Personally, I am a little burned out and just looking at books again gives me anxiety hehe. However, after taking a year 1/2 off after graduating it would be nice to settle around students again and possibly form helpful study groups. Most of you optometry people in these forums seem really nicel and it would have been great if we lived close by to study! I am used to always being the only pre-optometry student in all my science classes, not to mention there was no optometry group in my school (Univ. of MD Baltimore County)! SORRY for babbling so much, anyway, back to the point. Oh yea, so I also qualified for the 50% waiver with Kaplan and will be taking the class this September...think it is worth it for those of us "burn outs" hehe. :cool:

I don't know if it's WORTH $650, but I think taking Kaplan really helped me in terms of giving me study materials and a study schedule as well as specific computer-test strategies (studying for the OAT is so overwhelming for me that I need the extra discipline...I'm fine with normal one-subject college classes and their finals...but the OAT is just so diverse and encompassing that it intimidates me haha).

I also got the 50% off deal for being a Golden Key officer...our optometry club only gets 10% off. =\

I learn better when something is taught to me...when I try to read stuff on my own and learn it on my own, it doesn't stick, and I get confused easily. In my science classes, I NEVER read ahead, even though the professors recommend it, because it doesn't help me at all. But when I read after lecture, I'm like, oh yeah, I get it, that's easy! Same with the OAT review materials...I originally bought the set off my friend, but I read like 1 chapter and didn't feel like it was helping at all, so I just signed up for the class, and I'm glad I did.

You're going to make all the money back, don't worry. =) My optometrist told me the other day not to worry about the money...especially when applying to schools. Shell out all the application fees, all the plane tickets for interviews, etc, and don't worry, because what you're spending now is MINISCULE compared to what you'll be spending in optometry school. Even if you do end up taking loans, you WILL be able to pay them back. They'll lend money like water, knowing that you'll become a health professional. You already made it this far, you're not going to drop out of optometry school. =)