Kaplan calculus supplement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PHARMD_Maybe?

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did everyone else that used this supplement find the material too easy? Is this enough calculus for the PCAT? I have been study from a calculus review book learning all kinds of difficult things and then I looked at this. Anyone that used the supplement and has already took the actual PCAT, please advise me if I can stop looking at calculus and move on or do I need to keep on studying the calculus. Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Does the Kaplan book (2005 edition) have calculus section in it??? Or are u talking about some other book?

Come on, Someone on here has to have an opinion or suggestion that recently took the exam. Please advise.

Yes, the online supplement is too easy. I would grab a calc review guide and look at that.

I gave up learning anything but the most basic calc and turns out there were only a few calc questions on my exam, I still got an 85% on the quant part of the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the PCAT in June and there were like 1-2 questions on Calculus. The rest were on geometry, trig, and algebra. I'm concentrating on geo, trig, and algebra for the October exam. I think you should be fine if you review some math, but don't concentrate on calculus. This is just my opinion since June test had a lot of fractions, algebra, solving for x or y, graphs, etc.

jiepper said:
I took the PCAT in June and there were like 1-2 questions on Calculus. The rest were on geometry, trig, and algebra. I'm concentrating on geo, trig, and algebra for the October exam. I think you should be fine if you review some math, but don't concentrate on calculus. This is just my opinion since June test had a lot of fractions, algebra, solving for x or y, graphs, etc.

The June 25th test had more than 1-2 calculus questions

jiepper said:

I was reading the PCAT handbook and it indicated that there would be 30% calculus. I gues you are lucky if you received much fewer than 30% calculus.

Also, the PCAT handbook did not list trig as a topic. Their handbook states that the quant section contains questions in algebra, geometry, pre-calculus, and calculus.

Were the trig questions under the "pre-calculus" umbrella?

thanks for your suggestions.

I had one question on limit. There were no derivatives. There was a question on parabola. I also believe that trig is pre-calculus for most people. I don't know. I guess many people know more than I do from what I have read in this forum, you can believe what I said or don't have to.

Trigonometry topics include: ratio proportion, the Pythagorean Theorem, the law of sine, cosine, etc. I just have to review everything and not just calculus.

Good luck.

jiepper said:

What kind of graphs are on there?

One question that I remember well was a graph question that has about 7 points and you have to calculate the average. I wish I can draw a graph for you on here but I can't.

According to the book that I used to study for my June PCAT. It stated that Trigonemotry and calculus are not included. But many people stated differently in this forum. I bought this book in March 2005. It's Peterson's PCAT Success, copyrighted is 2004 but it has written year 2005 on the cover. Should I buy a new PCAT review book??

jiepper said:
It stated that Trigonemotry and calculus are not included. But many people stated differently in this forum. I bought this book in March 2005. It's Peterson's PCAT Success, copyrighted is 2004 but it has written year 2005 on the cover. Should I buy a new PCAT review book??

Yes. Calculus has been on the test since October 2004. Know all there is to know about log, also.

The current PCAT Candidate Information Booklet from www.pcatweb.info, in the the section "Test Content" tells you the % of each topic being covered on the PCAT. 30% calculus.

alphawind said:
The current PCAT Candidate Information Booklet from www.pcatweb.info, in the the section "Test Content" tells you the % of each topic being covered on the PCAT. 30% calculus.

Yeah 30% of the questions on the math section are calculus, but you'd have people swear there was only 2 or 3 calculus questions. haha

I donno what some of those people are talkin about because I the PCAT that I took had quite a bit of Calculus on it

jiepper said:
One question that I remember well was a graph question that has about 7 points and you have to calculate the average. I wish I can draw a graph for you on here but I can't.

How do you get the average of a graph?

Also, do we have to know about continuous and noncontinuous functions? I'm not sure how much pre-calc (or trig) is on the test.