kap or TPR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jon0013

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i called both places today and this was what i gathered:
Kaplan:
1. more flexible hrs, can go to diff classes with no extra charges
2. more practice material
3. library to study in with lots of old tests and practice sections

TPR:
1. We teach you the stuff more in depth instead of kaplans "practice makes perfect approach"
2. 10 points improvement and they claim kaplans is 7 or 8

both classes start this weekend with a diagnostic. so what gives?

Members don't see this ad.

I found TPR to be great. Plenty of practice materials and tests, and lots of
class time.
jon0013 said:
so i called both places today and this was what i gathered:
Kaplan:
1. more flexible hrs, can go to diff classes with no extra charges
2. more practice material
3. library to study in with lots of old tests and practice sections

TPR:
1. We teach you the stuff more in depth instead of kaplans "practice makes perfect approach"
2. 10 points improvement and they claim kaplans is 7 or 8

both classes start this weekend with a diagnostic. so what gives?

I took TPR; my friend took Kaplan. I think my materials were better and my instructors were more available to me. Plus, I had more classes, which was good for me. I also had the option of attending other classes, if need be. Good luck! :thumbup:

I took Kaplan's course last year and I'm teaching TPR this year.

With TPR, you get hard copies of all the TPR materials (no downloading and printing or having to visit a library as with Kaplan), you get way more class time and the instructors are much better trained with TPR.

TPR, I believe, actually has more material in terms of pages.

Members don't see this ad :)
kaplan seems to have a vast resource of practice material and people can't finish them usually

how much practice material does TPR have to offer?

jon0013 said:
kaplan seems to have a vast resource of practice material and people can't finish them usually

how much practice material does TPR have to offer?
Anyone who actually finished all of TPR's material has no life.

TPR's first diagnostic test is not from AAMC, it's their own concoction, and it's quite difficult; you can't tell too much from the score improvement numbers. But then, you can't tell much from anyone else's score improvement numbers either, for the same reason.

It is generally accepted that Kaplan gives you access to more material. It is also generally accepted, except perhaps by Kaplan employees, that TPR gives you plenty. To some extent Kaplan is better for independent learners and those who will be uncomfortable unless they have memorized absolutely everything; TPR is probably better, on average, for those who want or need to be taught.

Remember that TPR gives you five different instructors, one for each subject, which usually works out well (but does increase your odds of getting at least one weak one); I don't think Kaplan splits it this way yet.

The real difference will be instructor quality, which is hard to gauge and which varies a lot within companies. Inquire about your probable instructors, though neither office is likely to tell you much. What you want to know is how long they've been teaching or how many classes they've taught, not just where they're going to school.

(Disclaimer: I teach for TPR, so cannot be considered an unbiased source.)

I like Kaplan's flashcards, the way the class teaches content specific to the MCAT, and includes strategy along the way (rather than all at the end). And, to respond to the TPR teacher, Kaplan has different instructors teaching different subjects too.

Also, Kaplan has all their resources online - including lectures, so you can do everything (except AAMC tests) at home if you need to makeup a class or review. But if you do want to make up a class live (or just review it), you don't have to pay extra to do so.

(Disclaimer: I guess I'm biased too because Kaplan is going to let me repeat the course for free for the August exam. I had a death in the family and didn't finish the first one before April.)

I just got done with a TPR class culminating in the April MCAT.

I last took the MCAT in 1995. I graduated with my BS in 1996 and have been flying planes since then (no science classes at all). On test 6R I scored 5 points composite better after 8 years of no school than I did right after taking the pre-reqs. This tells me that TPR was probably the best investment I've ever made. Hopefully the actual score will confirm this.

Don't know anything about Kaplan. I studied my rear-end off and didn't exhaust TPR material. If you do, you're either much faster than I or skimming, which doesn't strike me as a good strategy. I actually thought we took too many diags (5 actual administered diags with more in your materials), but I guess that's one way to work through test anxiety (which is not one of my problems, I love standardized testing and get a weird kick out of it).

In response to RHar: I'm sure Kaplan teaches content specific to the MCAT; I'll bet everyone in this business does. Every few minutes in my lectures I tie what we're doing to what would be on an MCAT; this is normal at TPR, and I'm sure this isn't unusual among test prep services.

Also, if the implication of your reference to Kaplan's teaching strategy throughout the course is that TPR doesn't, that's wrong. Strategy is laced throughout. Last night I taught class one, and a third of it was about the general approach to test-taking strategy; it will come up over and over throughout the course, from one through forty-two.

Again, I don't think this stuff makes TPR special; I think it makes TPR normal. In this and nearly every other respect, the institutional differences are likely to be small. What matters most is the quality of your teachers; find the good ones, and you'll be happy with any company.

I had this same dilemna...

So I went and looked at both centers, one right after the other. I then called both enrollment 800 numbers, one right after another. I chose Kaplan.

I'm learn better on my own and thought that being buried under all that material might be a little much for me. But that wasn't the main thing that
swayed it for me.

When I went to the Kaplan center, there was a definite professional feeling to the place.

When I went to the TPR center, the person in charge of the center met me in flipflops, jeans and a tshirt with a hooded sweatsuit type of thing over the tshirt. I was introduced to one of the instructors who looked like he'd just rolled out of bed (it was 4:00 in the afternoon) with a wrinkled t shirt, needing a shave. My thought was,"If this is the way they present themselves to potential professionals, it really doesn't strike me as an outfit that has a lot on the ball".

When I called the 800 number, Kaplan routed me through to one particular person who answered all of my questions, advised me as to whether or not I was academically prepared to begin the MCAT prep course, and generally went the extra mile answering some questions specific to my situation. Sent me emails and data that I needed and spent about an hour on the phone with me.

When I called TPR, I couldn't help but feel like I was calling TimeLife Music and was about to hear that I would get an amazing set of Ginsu knives for only $19.99 additional. They didn't even take my contact info and whenever I asked a question, the answer sounded like it came from a canned 'script'.

Again, didn't really strike me as professional or individual attention, which made me think, how much are these guys going to put in to helping me achieve my potential?

In terms of content, they're probably about the same, just different formats. In Kaplan, you need to be motivated to dig it out for yourself (best way to learn, in my opinion) where TPR hands you a bunch of material and goes over everything (good if you learn from your classes, rather than outside work).

Again, YMMV and ultimately, the responsibility for this is yours, not a particular prep course.

My experiences are EXACTLY like Dave's. I was leaning slightly toward TPR, but when I started looking into it, Kaplan was much more professional and helpful. They really seem like they have their program together. I went to the Kaplan center and the lady at the desk explained the program and let me look through the materials. Then when I went to the TPR place, it wasn't open but it was just a couple small classrooms in a strip mall. I didn't really care about that because it doesn't matter to me where I have class as long as the stuff is good, but it would have been nice to have an open center where I could look over the stuff from the course. So I called the TPR 800 number to get more info and the woman didn't really know what was going on. She kept taking my question and putting me on hold and getting it and it would end up not really answering my question anyway. So then when I was done she was just like, "Ok, bye." It was really kind of weird. So as far as customer service goes, TPR has a lot of room for improvement. That and some advice from someone who took Kaplan and teaches for TPR convinced me to take Kaplan. But honestly, I think all these people who have really strong feelings one way or the other are probably delusional, it's more about what you do once you get into the class than which class you take.

willthatsall said:
My experiences are EXACTLY like Dave's. I was leaning slightly toward TPR, but when I started looking into it, Kaplan was much more professional and helpful. They really seem like they have their program together. I went to the Kaplan center and the lady at the desk explained the program and let me look through the materials. Then when I went to the TPR place, it wasn't open but it was just a couple small classrooms in a strip mall. I didn't really care about that because it doesn't matter to me where I have class as long as the stuff is good, but it would have been nice to have an open center where I could look over the stuff from the course. So I called the TPR 800 number to get more info and the woman didn't really know what was going on. She kept taking my question and putting me on hold and getting it and it would end up not really answering my question anyway. So then when I was done she was just like, "Ok, bye." It was really kind of weird. So as far as customer service goes, TPR has a lot of room for improvement. That and some advice from someone who took Kaplan and teaches for TPR convinced me to take Kaplan. But honestly, I think all these people who have really strong feelings one way or the other are probably delusional, it's more about what you do once you get into the class than which class you take.

I took the most recent TPR MCAT class and really got a lot out of it. A suit doesn't make a teacher, although if you need that, more power to you. I'd rather have a guy in flip flops that knows the material and that's a strength of TPR. All the teachers were great. The company persona is young & hip, it's just the way they are.

Like I said, I don't know much about Kaplan, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't touch any program that has their students studying the day of the test. That's a bad idea in my opinion. If you've studied like you should, any extra work the day of the test, when you're stressed, is likely to hurt you rather than help. I was comfortable the day of the test because I knew I had what I needed and had demonstrated that the weekend before in the same room as the actual admin. (and the weekend before that, the weekend before that, and two weekends before that).

However, if Kaplan's for you, that's what's important. So I'm not trying to put down Kaplan but point out that TPR is definitely professional where it counts, in the their teaching, materials, and results.

all i know is that everyone of my (very smart) friends who took kaplan last summer did miserable (27 and lower) on the august mcat and all my tpr friends (equally as smart) got 33's and better. there's a reason that kaplan's nickname is "craplan".

Kaplan was also cheaper for me because of a rebate. I don't know about the studying on test day, it's just flashcards. If you really want to hear about something stupid, they teach something called "the green dot". That really redefines stupid. But it's just about the materials to me, in that I think they are about the same. I'm glad you think TPR made you 6 points better than your "smart" Kaplan friends, but I suspect there was more of a difference between you and them than just the course you took.

OK, here's my take on both programs (I actually took both programs when prepping for the MCAT... yes, I know I'm anal, but I got a decent score, so well worth it in my mind).

Both programs will prepare you well for the MCAT. It really is just a matter of how much work you (the student) puts into studying yourself.

TPR: Buttload of materials to take home. Besides the requisite science and verbal review books, you get a buttload of practice materials to take home (a huge science workbook, verbal workbook, and several practice tests). Class hours are 2.5 hours x 9 sessions for Bio, Physics, and Verbal. Chem is split into O-Chem and G-Chem, and you have 10 sessions (2.5 hours each) total for those.

Kaplan: Same review books, but extensive collection of materials IN CENTER. That is, you don't get to take any home. Most likely more than TPR has available. Lectures are 3 hours x 3 per subject. However, these are also videotaped, so if you have a crappy teacher, you can watch the videotape.

Basically the difference (in my mind) boils down to whether or not you want the lectures at TPR. Quality varies widely in both, TPR teachers tend to be a bit more crass, and I've had excellent teachers at both TPR and Kaplan. Keep in mind that both sets basically repeat exactly what's in the review books. So the KEY here is INDEPENDENT STUDY. Feel free to PM me with more ?'s.

Ok I live in Tampa and go to the University of South florida. Anyhow, I have to say that the people at the Kaplan test centers that I have met have a very unprofessional attitude, and seem to come off more like they just want your money. Most of the people, I know that have taken Kaplan have only gotten like a 24 on the real thing. I have the material from their class from a friend going to medical school next year, and it is less in depth than Princeton Review material.

many of my friends have said that they wish they took Princeton and one even ended up retaking the MCAT course with something other than Kaplan or Princeton Review and said he felt it was better than Kaplan.

In other instances, a student took both courses, and said he felt better after taking Princeton Review.

at the Princeton Review center, it seemed like the people were way more professional and the teachers we currently have are very very good. Both have gotten in the 37 and above range and one of them is going to medical school next year at USF.

Also at our Princeton centers, they have 5 full length diags that they administer, as well as an additional 5 you can get access to from them as well as workbook passages and great review books.

In addition they have a numerous number of different sources that they provide you with, like some online quizzes the full answer solutions to the 5 tests they administer and the ability for you to grade the MCAT yourself through your online account, should you have to take it on your own.

They also provide you with the ability to look up statistics on different schools and admissions info and what not via numerous resources on their website.

Overall, I have nothing bad to say about Princeton Review.

It all depends on what you feel is right for you in the area at which you are based on instructors and administration in the area. If you are going in terms of actual material, though, I would go with Princeton all the way.

Obviously, since I'm taking Kaplan, I felt a little bit more comfortable with their style.

But it's probably like the incident I had with someone at the school where I took my premed coursework. Evidently, this person had taken the same premed courses then the MCAT and was down on the school saying that the classes didn't prepare you for the MCAT. No duh! Now that I've seen the questions on the MCAT, it's obvious that the coursework teaches you facts and theory. It's the critical thinking part you have to come up with.

I'm thinking Kaplan or TPR or whatever won't teach you, it'll merely serve as a guide and you have to put in the hours. For me, with my schedule, Kaplan gave me the flexibility and the chance to study on my own. TPR's schedule was a little more dense and I don't think I would've had the time to study on my own.

Again, YMMV....

Although I havent taken either course, I am sure the instructors are quite similar (over all). The only real difference is: quality/depth of materials, and accessibility.
In my limited experience with TPR books, they are far too in depth (the review notes). I personally used examkrackers instead which was an excellent choice. The kaplan books seem fairly similar to TPR.