Just took ABIM and freaking out...can someone who pass last year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My score still hasn't posted. Getting super worried. My husband and other classmates have their scores. Anyone else or friends having same luck? Hope it not a fail sign-- I haven't failed a test yet.... so worried.:confused:

Yes, half of my residency class hasnt gotten them yet.... So try not to worry...

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say about 70% of my residency has learned (about 20 total). A chief still has not learned and there is no way plausible he was bombing it. Unless it gives you a result, it has not posted yet.

At this link: www.abim.org/results.aspx

It still has not changes -- that is the Summer IM certification is still not listed. I'm not sure why they are rolling out results though.

same problem. when i log in it says "results not yet available". Not sure when that will be corrected or updated or what it really means. what torture!

Members don't see this ad :)
Pass/fail for some reported...
Its not limited to state or program..

Hypothesis ???

I keep trying to find a pattern, I am also one of the unlucky ones who has not had a result posted yet. I have check half of my class so far....there is no pattern in terms of date, state, etc. Both expected and "less expected" have passed. Possibly location you took the exam?

This waiting really sucks. Hopefully we don't have to wait until Monday or later!!!

My score still hasn't posted. Getting super worried. My husband and other classmates have their scores. Anyone else or friends having same luck? Hope it not a fail sign-- I haven't failed a test yet.... so worried.:confused:

Many people have not got there scores yet. I think they released all the scores for those who took the test around August 20th...

From checking my fellow graduates, I have seen as early as 8/9/10 and as late as 8/26/10 passing. It seems to be about 50/50 released for my class thus far. Perhaps its just random.

How often does the ABIM make a mistake with the results? I cannot believe that i failed this exam. I am quite bummed actually :(:( I did all the MKSAO questions, was in the 60% range for the most part...that had to count for something?! guess just have to get back in the saddle again and start studying some December. Don't know how to change my study strategy....

I too failed .I did 2 review courses and studied for months. When can I retake the exam.

I too failed .I did 2 review courses and studied for months. When can I retake the exam.

Unfortunately, you will have to wait until next August to retake it...

As for the results, I took it on the last date (8/26) and got my results.. four in my class that took it considerably earlier have not gotten them yet. VERY random with distribution!

Thanks for the info! Makes it a little less stressful that there are others in same boat.
Looked again this am and still "not available". I took my test on 8/16 and classmates before and after me have received results. So I guess it is totally random. WAITING SUCKS! guess I will check again tomorrow.
Does anyone know from previous years results, how long between it took for all scores to be reported? :xf:

Thanks for the info! Makes it a little less stressful that there are others in same boat.
Looked again this am and still "not available". I took my test on 8/16 and classmates before and after me have received results. So I guess it is totally random. WAITING SUCKS! guess I will check again tomorrow.
Does anyone know from previous years results, how long between it took for all scores to be reported? :xf:

If you are still awake. Check at 2 AM.

I looked back at the ABIM email to check results; it was sent at 1:45 AM on Friday.

Called ABIM....person said that results are being released in "waves". Should be out today. It's by ABIM # also.

Called ABIM....person said that results are being released in "waves". Should be out today. It's by ABIM # also.

Just wanted everyone to know that I finally got my results - and i passed so anyone with results not available don't panic - looks like it was just random and they are fixing the issue now. (apparently it was a technical glitch)
good luck to you all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I passed! So I am the very last one in my class to findout... everyone else knew by Sat night-- Got my results at 12:30 pm today.
I guess this happened last year to a few in class before me and some didn't findout till around Wed. Totally suck they work like this. Glad it's behind me:D

I passed as well!! and was also one of the last to find out--checked last night! (not that i minded :p) I was sooo scared to look!

And chin up to those who didn't make it. Seriously, a decent % of people dont pass on the first try. You'll pass next time, just keep on chugging! Do questions, questions, questions. I started out my boards-studying by trying to read the MKSAP books, and it was just all empty effort i think. I gave that up after like 3 books, and just started doing all the questions. I remembered what I learned from the questions a lot better than anything I read.

I did ALL the MKSAP questions, and then went back and reviewed the ones I got wrong in the couple of days before the exam (didn't get through all of them, but I tried to at least review the subjects I worked on first). Oh and as I did the questions, I took notes in a small notebook on concepts that i didn't know or that I wasn't totally comfortable with. And I used that notebook for a quick review during the few days before the exam too.

Good luck to everyone!!

score report received today... states standardized passing score was 370. I failed. Based on my score (340), I guess I want to know, is it even possible to pass?

Seems like I am far away from my goal. Did MKSAP questions and finished with average of 68%. Did a review course. Studied 9-10 hrs a day for t-30 days.

Really depressed about all of this... and was thinking if I barely missed it, I would try again... now I am not so sure.

If anyone has any ideas, your input would be appreciated.
:confused::(:mad:

Do you have any idea with how many correct question would you pass?

Still haven't received my score report....I passed...doubt by much though. I too wonder what % you have to get right to just pass...65% I would guess

Hey I'm pretty sure I failed... and I have a very vibrant practice with insurances that require bc including medicare. I have a lot of overhead. And I have to support a husband and 3 babies. Does anyone have any advice for me because it looks like I am going to lose my practice. Please help!! Any advice would be very appreciated!!

Hey I'm pretty sure I failed... and I have a very vibrant practice with insurances that require bc including medicare. I have a lot of overhead. And I have to support a husband and 3 babies. Does anyone have any advice for me because it looks like I am going to lose my practice. Please help!! Any advice would be very appreciated!!

Well you can check online and see whether you passed or not-- all the results are out as of November 1st.

Maybe you passed!

If not, looks like the only alternative is to retake it next summer.

Should i have them do a rescoring with a standardized score of 341?

i don't know, i was wondering what to do also. I got a 340. But I've never heard of anyone successfully challenging.

A lot of people have been writing about failing the ABIM. I am one of those people who failed, studied, and passed the test this year. I wanted to share my experience in the hopes that this helps those who failed the exam. The first time, I took the test, I scored in the bottom decile. The second time around, I got the seventh decile. I was proud of this improvement. I worked as a full-time hospitalist during that year and was still able to accomplish this. So here are my tips and pointers.

1. Take your own pulse. Immediately after the test I was devastated. I questioned by own abilities and wondered how this might affect my career. This thinking is self-defeating and unhelpful. This test does NOT measure your abilities as a physician or your worth as a person. It is important to realize that the best doctors are hard-working, detail-oriented and compassionate towards their patients. The ability to recall the SAAG cutoffs rarely will affect life and death. However, your commitment to patient care and work ethic might. Also, it is very unlikely that this will affect your career. My group requires certification for partnership, but failing the test doesn't get you fired! Most groups have some policy in place (e.g., pass within three years of joining, etc). Right now, people can search and see that you're not certified, but once you pass the test, there will be no way for people to know about this. Your career will move on.

2. But do take an honest self-assessment. While this test is not a measure of physician excellence, it does measure SOMETHING. As others have pointed out, it is a relatively small number of questions that differentiates passing and non-passing scores. A small increase in medical knowledge can make the difference. In most cases, I think the test reveals that there was not enough learning and reviewing during residency. A brief cram session is inadequate if the basic knowledge is not there. In my case, I also had to face the fact that I was probably suffering from burnout and depression. While I don't think all shortcomings should be attributed to depression (a common habit in medicine programs), it is important to evaluate yourself for any symptoms of depression.

3. Realize that the ABIM is very different from the USMLE. Word recognition won't work! In the USMLE, questions can often be answered on recognition alone. If you recognize the condition, you can often answer the question easily. By contrast, the ABIM is testing confusing points or how to narrow a broad differential diagnosis. Knowing what they're testing can help you figure out the right answer.

4. Consider a review class. I took the Chicago ACP class. While expensive, it was very helpful preparation and review. They are good at showing you what points are tested. They can help you pick up easy points (e.g., derm pictures, peripheral smears, etc). Also, miserly loves company.

5. You need to use MKSAP. Some writers have recommended questions, questions, questions. I agree ... up to a point. If you failed the ABIM, there is a clear knowledge deficit (I'm not trying to offend; I'm just being honest). There is some information you need to know. I read each subject textbook twice and reviewed Board Basics multiple times. Highlight your underlines and underline your highlights.

6. Questions, Questions, Questions! I recommend using the computer version or MKSAP questions and creating multi-subject tests. Keep doing them until all questions are easy (>90% correct). When this is done, do some Med Study questions. Med Study tends to focus on tricky or easily-missed subjects. I recommend them in the weeks before the test to pick up some easy questions.

7. You need a plan. This will vary from person to person, but you need a plan. In my case, I work as a 7-on-7-off hospitalist. Studying during rounding weeks was almost impossible. So I focused on my off-days. I made sure that I spent a solid 2 hours every off day reading and doing questions. I have a family, so in my case, this meant going to a cafe so I could focus exclusively on my studying without distractions. Make sure you have time off from work in the weeks running into the test. I had a little under three weeks off, which seemed about right.

8. Don't forget to take care of yourself. When my studying was complete, I made sure to spend time with my family. I watched a little TV. I went to the gym. You can't let this take over your life.

9. Attitude matters. Don't be bitter or angry. If you can accept that this test has at least some meaning, then your studying will be much more enjoyable. If your belief is that the test is BS and the ABIM screwed you over, you will be miserable studying. And most likely, you'll fail the test again. If, however, you can accept that this information may be relevant and there is something for you to learn, the process will be much better. Tell yourself, "I may see this someday and this information may actually help my patient."

I hope this helps. Good luck to all of you

I think the above post is the best advice I have read in regards to passing this test. If you have been doing well on the in training exam then you probably do not have to do all of the above. If you did poorly on the in training exam and you follow his advice I am sure you will pass. Also try to take the test right out of residency. I know a few people who took the test a year out who were very smart and got good scores on the in training exam and failed. They probably would have passed if they had taken it the year before.

My best friend took the test and failed and then did basically what above poster did and nailed it the next time.

Keep up hope. And the ABIM is not trying to screw anyone.

I think the above post is the best advice I have read in regards to passing this test. If you have been doing well on the in training exam then you probably do not have to do all of the above. If you did poorly on the in training exam and you follow his advice I am sure you will pass. Also try to take the test right out of residency. I know a few people who took the test a year out who were very smart and got good scores on the in training exam and failed. They probably would have passed if they had taken it the year before.

My best friend took the test and failed and then did basically what above poster did and nailed it the next time.

Keep up hope. And the ABIM is not trying to screw anyone.

"They" say that an in training percentile of >32% correlates to 99% pass likelihood on the ABIM exam.

John Milton, thank you so much for your reply. That was really nice of you and helpful. You are truly a kind person.

My results are still not available but I'm sure I've failed, and all my insurances require board certification. My bcbs will recertify me in January and by then my results will be available. There goes 30% of my patients. Then medicare will follow. My practice will be destroyed and so will my life since I can't pay any of the bills if I can't work. The only thing I'll be able to keep is my hospital privileges but that won't save my practice. Anyone, please help! What can I do? Have you been through this?!

great advice John Milton... question... how long did you do the 7/on 7 off study plan?

Hello,

I'm glad my post helped some people. To answer the previous question, I started studying seriously in December or so. I continued to increase my intensity up until the test. The way I saw it, I needed to cram three years of learning into one, so there was no time like the present.

To the OP, I would look closely at the insurance company policies. I find it hard to believe they would drop you for this (unless this wasn't the first time or you deferred the test for multiple years). If you can't work as an outpatient doctor, there's always hospitalist medicine.

Cheers,
JM

Hello,

I'm glad my post helped some people. To answer the previous question, I started studying seriously in December or so. I continued to increase my intensity up until the test. The way I saw it, I needed to cram three years of learning into one, so there was no time like the present.

To the OP, I would look closely at the insurance company policies. I find it hard to believe they would drop you for this (unless this wasn't the first time or you deferred the test for multiple years). If you can't work as an outpatient doctor, there's always hospitalist medicine.

Cheers,
JM
JM,

Are you saying that you did the MKSAP questions multiple times (in addition to studying) until you got 90% correct?

Had you done the MKSAP questions at all during your first study period, or did you not study at all?

Did you focus overwhelmingly on the areas you did poorly on?

I did a lot of the MKSAP questions already and am not sure if re-doing them will help. Was thinking about using MEDSTUDY.

Thanks for your advice.

MD2007

Hello all,

I focused on pretty much everything, since I did poorly and nearly all subjects. One or two poor subjects is not enough to fail the exam. So I read each subject book carefully at least twice (some of them I did a third time, especially if I was stilll confused on certain points). Furthermore, I read and re-read Board Basics 2 many times to re-inforce basic information.

I did use MKSAP the first time around, and I was concerned that using it again might not help. However, I think the first time around I didn't read carefully enough and didn't spend the time necessary to do well. If you read MKSAP carefully, you'll do well.

I also repeated MSKAP questions repeatedly until they became easy. I often made the same logical error multiple times before I got a question right, so this was a necessary point for me. In general, MKSAP questions are more useful and educational that other questions. They are very evidence-based and the explainations are very detailed. MedStudy, by contrast, focuses on easily-missed or frequently tested points. They will often repeat questions with minor variations to ensure you understand the teachable point. I recommend them after you have done MKSAP and know it well. There are other practice questions out there, such as QBank-IM, but I was less impressed with these.

Hope this helps,
JM

Hello all,

I focused on pretty much everything, since I did poorly and nearly all subjects. One or two poor subjects is not enough to fail the exam. So I read each subject book carefully at least twice (some of them I did a third time, especially if I was stilll confused on certain points). Furthermore, I read and re-read Board Basics 2 many times to re-inforce basic information.

I did use MKSAP the first time around, and I was concerned that using it again might not help. However, I think the first time around I didn't read carefully enough and didn't spend the time necessary to do well. If you read MKSAP carefully, you'll do well.

I also repeated MSKAP questions repeatedly until they became easy. I often made the same logical error multiple times before I got a question right, so this was a necessary point for me. In general, MKSAP questions are more useful and educational that other questions. They are very evidence-based and the explainations are very detailed. MedStudy, by contrast, focuses on easily-missed or frequently tested points. They will often repeat questions with minor variations to ensure you understand the teachable point. I recommend them after you have done MKSAP and know it well. There are other practice questions out there, such as QBank-IM, but I was less impressed with these.

Hope this helps,
JM

Can you tell you in-training ACP score?

I got only 66 (50% percentile) and now I am so worried.

I don't remember my score off hand, but I think I was in the 30% range. I think a 50% percentile puts you in a pretty good position. You are roughly in the middle. Based on last year's info, roughly 13% failed the exam. You would have to slide significantly for this to happen to you. Remember, most people will study with some reasonable intensity (e.g., going through MKSAP and answering some questions). So, as long as you keep up with your peers, you should be fine.

A larger point, though: The in-service exam is predictive of ABIM performance and a low ISE score puts you at risk for failing the boards. Look at your own score. Are you underperforming compared to your peers? Are you doing worse than you did on the USMLE exams? If so, you need to study harder for the ABIM. I made the mistake of thinking that my ISE score, while low, was comfortably within the passing range (i.e., not in the bottom 10%). However, having a bad day was enough to push myself into failing range. Don't make this mistake.

JM

Thank you JM for your advice! For others who have passed the ABIM, what have you used that was helpful for passing the test? Are MKSAP and Medstudy enough? or should I take a board prep course? are there any board prep materials or course you recommend?

Thank you JM for your advice! For others who have passed the ABIM, what have you used that was helpful for passing the test? Are MKSAP and Medstudy enough? or should I take a board prep course? are there any board prep materials or course you recommend?

The only thing I used was MKSAP and I passed.

I think what each person needs to pass really depends on how you study best and learn best. If sitting in lectures hearing/seeing the material works better for you then maybe a board prep course is for you. I knew it would be a waste of time for me, since I need to study at my own pace, look things up as i go along, think through concepts on the spot (not later) before I move on to the next one. I've almost never gotten a whole lot out of lectures. I know plenty of people who do get a lot out of lectures though.

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I was hoping the OP could update us on how things are going?

Hi there!
i was looking for info on the MKSAP for ABIM prep when I stumbled on this forum and your previous advice. Excellent. I share with you your method of twice reading and taking it to heart. I bought, out of haste, Med Study. I am regretting it. I'm only 4 months away and this course is not convincing me...I would like to at least be able to do the MKSAP Q&A if I can find it at a decent price. Just thought of writting you and asking. . .
Thanks.