Just starting out

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OpticDean

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My name is Dean and I live just south of Seattle, WA. I'm interested in a career in optometry and I am currently completing my first year of pre-reqs. The nearest school of optometry to me is in Oregon. Could you guys offer me any advice on applying to the school and anything else that I should be doing right now? Thanks

Dean

Members don't see this ad.

First off, make sure you have shadowed an OD. Not only will it help you make up your mind, but you will need a letter of rec. from an OD when it come time to apply.

Like rpames said, start shadowing ODs. Try to shadow ones in several different types of practice types and settings -- commercial, private, hospital, specialty (contact lens, peds, occular disease, whatever). It'll be good for your application to show that you've been proactive in learning about the profession, but also a great experience for you to make sure optometry is the right profession for you.

Also -- ASCO's web site has a lot of good info for students: http://www.opted.org/

Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the good info. How would I go about finding an optometrist to shadow? Would I just start calling up the office, or would I visit the practice? How is it done? Thanks.

Dean

Just give them a call. The times my dad has received calls from students, he was thrilled to let them shadow him. I would think most ODs would be just as happy to. If you have an OD, that is a great place to start. If you call, you probably just get to talk to the receptionist and have to wait for a call back. If you just pop in, you may get to talk to him/her between patients. You will be harder to ignore if you are in the waiting room bugging the patients.

The key to talking to a doc of any kind, is getting in with the receptionist. Everyone knows they run the office and if they like you, they will make the doc talk to you. Don't just jump in and ask for the office manager, ask the receptionist first. If you show them respect, they will let walk around the office. ;)

I was a receptionist for a doc for about a year. Everything rpames said is true.. if the reps I liked.. got to see the docs MUCH faster ;) The others usually had to leave a card.

Most ODs are THRILLED to talk to someone who's interested in their profession. I'd follow the pop in and say hi philosophy too. If they look insanely busy though you might want to leave a note and come back some other time. (make sure to leave your number so the doc can contact you)

Good luck Dean!

I'm interested in shadowing for ODs too. I don't know much about shadowing docs, how long do you shadow for? I also want to volunteer at an optometry office. Would I go about the same way with shadowing, calling or walking into the office and asking? And should I shadow first, and then volunteer after?

I don't know if there would be much to volunteer for. I would say just shadow. I think volunteer work would only work if it is in a hospital where you can push people around and read to them, but in a small office...I don't know. Maybe if you go to a very large eye clinic.

As far as shadowing:
I think it is usually for a couple hours maybe once or twice a week for a few weeks.

Optidean,
I see that you are from Orting, I am from Olympia and my boyfriend is from Sumner. I too am interested in Optometry and will be applying this next fall. I have taken the OAT's and I shadowed an OD. I go to WWU and am majoring in Biology. If you have any questions or would just like updates as to how the process is going I would love to help.

Hey shorty_sam:

Its nice to have someone in the same boat to talk to! Do you plan to go to Pacific U in OR?

Dean

hey! i plan to go to pacific U in oregon! the thing is, i'm only going to become a senior in high school and i'm not sure whether to just stay here for 2 years and transfer or just go straight there. they have already showed an interest in me, but i'm not sure because i also might want to go to UH. which is a better school that i will have a better time at? Pacific U, University of Tex:Houston, or a california school?!