Just making sure I'm not crazy for trying!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twofaketeeth

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a very non traditional student, have an associates in digital photography from 12 years ago and used to be a pastry chef). I got my associate degree with a 2.15 gpa and took some community college classes for fun when I had nothing else to do because I was having lots of oral surgeries(two implants from being hit by a car while biking) and did poorly in those classes as well.

On the bright side after a few years of working as a pastry chef(leadership experience!!) I decided to change careers and enrolled in hygiene school(as I was afraid my previous gpa would keep me out of dental school). I took 48 credit hours and had a 3.98 then my school when bankrupt. I love the dental field and know I want to work in it so I went for it and started my pre-reqs for dental school, gpa at 3.65 with only a couple B's in my math and science, very rigorous course load and I work.

I took the DAT over winter break and got a 20AA 20TS after teaching myself the second semester of organic chemistry(timing couldn't work for me to take it first).

My science and math gpa should be around 3.5 by the time I apply but my cumulative is pretty trashed. Recommendations are good as are my volunteer and shadow hours, thoughts?!??

Thank you for reading this!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you've done all that you really can do. Look out for minimum GPA requirements for schools if you're overall is below a 3.0. Other than that, just research where you feel your stats fit best, and what in state and out of state options would give you the best shot. Best of luck!

There is no mention of a pending bachelor degree.

There is no mention of a pending bachelor degree.

I'm getting a BS in biology and will have it completed the spring after I apply. I will have all of my pre-reqs finished by this summer(when I'm applying) and am taking all the recommended by dental school classes next year. Thus far I have one B+ in a pre-req and plan on that being my last.